Dragons

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 10:03
At Delamere Forest yesterday. This place is alive with Wildlife, especially if you venture away from the beaten track. All with the K-5iis and Pentax DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR.

Hawker in flight

Common Darter

Emerald Damselfly

Thanks for looking.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Blythman

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 10:17
Excellent set David. 1st one is really fabulous
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Opethian

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 10:30
A great set! A lot of patience is what you need in my experience with these "dragons"!

Twitter | Someone said time-lapse?
Pentax K5 | Samsung N9005 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 35 2.4 | DA 50 1.8
Tamron 10-24 SP | Tamron 90 2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300 Macro
Samyang 85 1.4 ...and a few other manual lenses older than me.

bforbes

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 13:02
That first one is brilliant, and that's not to deride the rest.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

CMW

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 13:51
The first is wonderful -- that said by someone usually pretty indifferent to insects as subjects
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 18:10
Here's another one you might like - got an opportunity this morning to get closer to a Common Darter (Male) and got quite a few really good close-ups.

Common Darter resting on a pipe

Regards
David
Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 29/09/2013 - 18:21

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 22:35
Thanks to everyone for the comments on these images, as always it is very much appreciated.

Regards
David
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 22:46
Some good work there, very impressive. For me, the first image is my least favourite as I don't really like the look of the wing movement, it looks over-done. The rest are great though!
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 22:55
johnriley wrote:
Some good work there, very impressive. For me, the first image is my least favourite as I don't really like the look of the wing movement, it looks over-done. The rest are great though!

Thanks very much John for your feedback. I haven't really done anything with the wings; it is due to the shutter speed used and the low sun at that time in the afternoon. My intention was to get the Dragonfly sharp and the wings in a blur, so from that point of view I'm happy with it. It was very difficult to get this shot, especially manually focussing, as the AF had no chance of keeping up with the insect!

Regards
David
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 23:02
Quote:
It was very difficult to get this shot, especially manually focussing, as the AF had no chance of keeping up with the insect!

Very difficult and very frustrating....I've spent many hours trying to capture these in flight, none as sharp as yours. Yet. Now Sue nails them with an amazing degree of success, so there's a challenge for me.
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 23:19
[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]
Quote:
Very difficult and very frustrating....I've spent many hours trying to capture these in flight, none as sharp as yours. Yet. Now Sue nails them with an amazing degree of success, so there's a challenge for me.

She must be very good John. There were four of us there yesterday, all very competent photographers (Jim Ennis, Andrew Allport, Shaun Wilson and myself) and I think between us we got a couple of sharp images of the Dragonflies in flight. Jim Ennis got the other one, but I've not seen it posted anywhere yet (where is it Jim?).

Regards
David
Flickr

davidtrout

Link Posted 29/09/2013 - 23:21
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.