DPR K3 sample pics a joke!
Posted 11/11/2013 - 19:25
Link
Many commentators on that forum are saying the images are compromised by a casual, snapshot approach, and the use of the Da 18-135. Its true I feel that you don't need a camera of the calibre to take shots like that. Its qualities could be better demonstrated with more well chosen lenses for the specific scenes.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 11/11/2013 - 19:26
Link
You're not kidding!!
Dreadful. My mobile phone can produce better results than this!!
Dreadful. My mobile phone can produce better results than this!!
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 11/11/2013 - 19:35
Link
Whatever they do is almost guaranteed not to please, but in fact the images seem a reasonable selection to me. No doubt someone went out with the camera and lens provided and had a go to see what they could come up with.
You and I might have done exactly the same thing.
You and I might have done exactly the same thing.
Best regards, John
Posted 11/11/2013 - 21:16
Link
It's not the casual snapshot scenes in the images that bother me it's the image quality. The IQ of K-3 shots I've seen posted on this forum, while being no better than the K-5 are much better quality than those DPR shots.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 11/11/2013 - 21:51
Link
DPR review photos are always poor, the most boring photos you could imagine. The last ones I looked at were for the Sony A7. If anyone tells you that with FF all your photos will shine compared to APS-C, then tell them to have a look at the A7 sample photos on DPR.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 12/11/2013 - 00:04
Link
johnriley wrote:
Whatever they do is almost guaranteed not to please, but in fact the images seem a reasonable selection to me. No doubt someone went out with the camera and lens provided and had a go to see what they could come up with.
You and I might have done exactly the same thing.
-----------------------------------------------------------Whatever they do is almost guaranteed not to please, but in fact the images seem a reasonable selection to me. No doubt someone went out with the camera and lens provided and had a go to see what they could come up with.
You and I might have done exactly the same thing.
I hope not! I'd like to think I could get mine in focus! I haven't gone through every single one but have you looked at the two I quoted?
I mean when AF is often a cited issue it's not going to help is it?
Posted 12/11/2013 - 07:36
Link
I'm assuming the pictures are sharp, there's no reason why they shouldn't be. I've been a bit too busy these past few days to pull apart other people's pictures on the internet, and to be honest I've also been keeping my mind clear of other people's opinions on the K-3.
Today I'm free to look more closely at what everyone else is doing. I still think that the very best way to learn the limits of something is to look closely at our own images. Other people's we have no idea what they did, what the limitations were or even if they made a huge blunder as is being suggested in this thread.
Today I'm free to look more closely at what everyone else is doing. I still think that the very best way to learn the limits of something is to look closely at our own images. Other people's we have no idea what they did, what the limitations were or even if they made a huge blunder as is being suggested in this thread.
Best regards, John
Posted 12/11/2013 - 10:41
Link
The DPR images aren't very inspiring admittedly but surely that wasn't the point in taking them. What they are are typical examples of what Tom Dick and Harry would take so give a fair representation of what most users would end up with using that camera. Many here have higher expectations and would no doubt have achieved something far better, but in that quantity, maybe not.
John K
John K
John K
Posted 12/11/2013 - 11:22
Link
Echoing what's said above, the galleries on dpr generally have limited usefulness. Perhaps my eyes are worse than I thought, but I am not sure the photos complained of are oof. A bit soft, but that may well be the lens rather than anything the camera is doing.
The only substantial criticism I've come across does, though, concern the performance of AF -- which (allegedly) while representing an improvement on previous Pentax implementations is still deficient in the ability to track compared to the best of its rivals. Wouldn't bother me at all, since generally I don't click at things that move. If that kind of shooting were the bulk of my output I'd probably feel more strongly.
The only substantial criticism I've come across does, though, concern the performance of AF -- which (allegedly) while representing an improvement on previous Pentax implementations is still deficient in the ability to track compared to the best of its rivals. Wouldn't bother me at all, since generally I don't click at things that move. If that kind of shooting were the bulk of my output I'd probably feel more strongly.
Posted 12/11/2013 - 12:25
Link
I think I will wait and see what the folks on this forum who have bought one come up with, rather than rely on the DPR images. Cos I reckon that the likes of David and Alan will be posting far more superior images than that.
Posted 12/11/2013 - 13:52
Link
geordie01 wrote:
I think I will wait and see what the folks on this forum who have bought one come up with, rather than rely on the DPR images. Cos I reckon that the likes of David and Alan will be posting far more superior images than that.
-----------------------------------------------I think I will wait and see what the folks on this forum who have bought one come up with, rather than rely on the DPR images. Cos I reckon that the likes of David and Alan will be posting far more superior images than that.
Well exactly my point! They already have. I don't take a blind bit of notice of those pics, but if anyone looks at the two I mentioned for a start they should have been deleted off the card and rejected. If I was paid to review a camera I would put some effort into it - even if they were just snapshots! if you read the comments a lot of people are rubbishing the K3 based on these and Dpreview is one of the most influential sites. None are up to the standard of our own K3 shooters on here!
Posted 12/11/2013 - 19:39
Link
If I post an image on DPR it always looks softer than original even when there's no resizing taking place. It never used to do this before they changed the site a while ago. Same thing happened with Photobucket's 'enhanced' new site, but if I look at images I posted years ago, they still look sharp.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1204 posts
16 years
Laindon,Essex