Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Down In The Valley & Up On The Plain

coker
Posted 03/01/2017 - 20:21 Link
All K5, 150-500, yesterday.

A Wylye Valley stream, with Water Rail....

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Salisbury Plain....

Mixed Herd on the hillside

Comment Image

Raven lift-off

Comment Image

Comment Image

Any thoughts welcome,

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
pschlute
Posted 04/01/2017 - 00:00 Link
Great captures of the first bird, but I have to ask, did you selectively increase exposure in the face/breast of the subject ?
McGregNi
Posted 04/01/2017 - 05:40 Link
It looks like flash was used to balance the shadows on the subject, based on the catch lights it was on the camera. It's worked nicely to 'pop' the bird and given lovely colour, although some would no doubt say the flash exposure could be a little less.

An interesting set, they have a quirkiness to them.... The lighting in the herd one is great, and the black ravens stand out starkly against their background.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
coker
Posted 04/01/2017 - 19:46 Link
Thanks for looking & for your comments.

Peter, no there was no selective adjustment to the light on its face/breast as such. I did, however lift the highlights a little & increased the darks by rather less, over the whole image. I also de-saturated the colour a tad because the red on the bill really was a lot brighter than in the"wild"!
The effect you (both) remark on is, I believe, due to the Water Rail's head & breast area being generally lighter than the greys on the rest of the bird's plumage......
It was, also, under dappled cover, with small patches of quite bright sunlight falling on the stream. All while facing the camera, which was in a more open position.

Nigel, I didn't, & wouldn't, use flash on wild birds, particularly on a bird as shy & unapproachable as this
one!!! The eye catchlight comes from the lighting situation, generally. (See above)

Thanks again for your interest & comments,

Roger.
Edited by coker: 04/01/2017 - 19:50
coker
Posted 04/01/2017 - 20:12 Link
Just to illustrate, two images both straight crops, no other adjustments.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Roger.
Edited by coker: 04/01/2017 - 20:13
pschlute
Posted 04/01/2017 - 20:15 Link
Thanks Roger, and thanks for introducing me to a bird I had not heard of before.
coker
Posted 05/01/2017 - 19:11 Link
My pleasure,Peter.
R.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.