Don't Mind Him, He's New...
Posted 27/01/2011 - 16:32
Link
Welcome to this place - it sounds as if you are already being infected by the dreaded LBA
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 27/01/2011 - 16:46 - Helpful Comment
Link
Welcome to the forum Gav. The 50mm lens you have chosen is a fine lens, although not autofocus. As to the macro zoom. This will not give true macro. There are plenty of macro lenses about, but they are primarily prime (not zoom)lenses. These range from the latest expensive Pentax 100, also 50, Sigma 105 and Tamron 90 ones - have a look at SRS website for details
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/4280/Pentax-smc-DFA-100mm-f2-8-WR-Macro-Lens.ht...
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/124/Pentax-smc-DFA-50mm-f2-8-Macro-Lens-.html
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/134/Sigma-105mm-F2-8-EX-DG-Macro-Lens---Pentax-...
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/286/Tamron-SP-90mm-F2-8-Macro-1-1-Di---Pentax-F...
However, there are plenty manual focus macro lenses on ebay. Here's a couple of examples
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-M-Macro-100mm-f4-SMC-PK-bayonet-mint-/250748610760?... although that one isn't in A1 condition
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamron-SP-90mm-f2-5-Macro-lens-Nikon-adaptall-2-mount-/160... for which you would need a Pentax mount
Alternatively you could put a wanted ad on here.
Other options can be attached to the 50mm lens such as reversing ring, extension tubes, raynox lens. All these would work out cheaper, although less convenient, and in some instances with a compramise on quality.
Hope that helps
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/4280/Pentax-smc-DFA-100mm-f2-8-WR-Macro-Lens.ht...
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/124/Pentax-smc-DFA-50mm-f2-8-Macro-Lens-.html
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/134/Sigma-105mm-F2-8-EX-DG-Macro-Lens---Pentax-...
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/286/Tamron-SP-90mm-F2-8-Macro-1-1-Di---Pentax-F...
However, there are plenty manual focus macro lenses on ebay. Here's a couple of examples
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-M-Macro-100mm-f4-SMC-PK-bayonet-mint-/250748610760?... although that one isn't in A1 condition
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamron-SP-90mm-f2-5-Macro-lens-Nikon-adaptall-2-mount-/160... for which you would need a Pentax mount
Alternatively you could put a wanted ad on here.
Other options can be attached to the 50mm lens such as reversing ring, extension tubes, raynox lens. All these would work out cheaper, although less convenient, and in some instances with a compramise on quality.
Hope that helps
Posted 27/01/2011 - 16:48 - Helpful Comment
Link
Welcome. "Lens Buying Addiction" is something that some members seem to suffer from, but no names....
The zoom you list is not a true macro lens, so depending upon how small the models are you want to photograph, perhaps try before you buy if you can.
If you have the kit zoom that comes with the K-r that will focus closer than the lens you mention.
A true macro lens will usually be a 50mm or 100mm and will be labelled macro. Pentax also make a 35mm Macro. The longer the focal length, the more working distance you will have for the same magnification, so again it depends on how big your subjects are.
What sort of scale models are you photographing?
The zoom you list is not a true macro lens, so depending upon how small the models are you want to photograph, perhaps try before you buy if you can.
If you have the kit zoom that comes with the K-r that will focus closer than the lens you mention.
A true macro lens will usually be a 50mm or 100mm and will be labelled macro. Pentax also make a 35mm Macro. The longer the focal length, the more working distance you will have for the same magnification, so again it depends on how big your subjects are.
What sort of scale models are you photographing?
Best regards, John
Posted 27/01/2011 - 16:53 - Helpful Comment
Link
The 28-80... Not meant to be a great lens, and it's not a real macro (the 'macro' will be at the 'zoomed in' end).
As you shoot scale models, I would recommend a proper macro lens, and a comparatively wide one. It's expensive, but worth it - the DA 35mm f2.8 Macro.
Failing that, a 50mm f1.7 (yes it's an excellent lens) and extension rings would work pretty well.
If you don't need to get in too close, a sigma 24mm superwide II would be a good choice too.
As you shoot scale models, I would recommend a proper macro lens, and a comparatively wide one. It's expensive, but worth it - the DA 35mm f2.8 Macro.
Failing that, a 50mm f1.7 (yes it's an excellent lens) and extension rings would work pretty well.
If you don't need to get in too close, a sigma 24mm superwide II would be a good choice too.
Posted 27/01/2011 - 16:54 - Helpful Comment
Link
Hi Gav, my other hobby is garden railways. For taking shots of your scale models a DSLR will tend to give you reduced depth of field than a compact camera. To compensate for this you may want to consider a wide angle lens (and using as small an aperture as practical, of course). At close quarters the DoF at 50mm and above may be too shallow for this purpose. For many other things the Pentax A f1.7 is a very good lens indeed, and unbeatable value.
Regards, Philip
Posted 27/01/2011 - 17:14 - Helpful Comment
Link
I think the 35 macro is the best lens for you.
buy that first then look at the 16-45, and 10-17 fisheye.
buy that first then look at the 16-45, and 10-17 fisheye.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 27/01/2011 - 18:05
Link
Wow, that's more information than I could have ever hoped for! Thankyou very much indeed.
My itchy mouse finger was hovering above the 'buy it now' button on that 28-80 not-so-macro lense, so thanks for warning me off that one. And thanks Blythman for that comprehensive list of lenses but I fear those are a little out of my price range at the moment
I think I wanted the 50mm 1.7 jus to experiment with portraits and things, so I'll try and get hold of one of those.
Maybe I'll just keep using my kit lense for scale models until I can afford the 35mm macro you've all pointed me towards.
Again, thanks you guys, a hell of a lot. I'll let you know what I end up getting and what I end up doing with it....
Gav
My itchy mouse finger was hovering above the 'buy it now' button on that 28-80 not-so-macro lense, so thanks for warning me off that one. And thanks Blythman for that comprehensive list of lenses but I fear those are a little out of my price range at the moment
I think I wanted the 50mm 1.7 jus to experiment with portraits and things, so I'll try and get hold of one of those.
Maybe I'll just keep using my kit lense for scale models until I can afford the 35mm macro you've all pointed me towards.
Again, thanks you guys, a hell of a lot. I'll let you know what I end up getting and what I end up doing with it....
Gav
Posted 27/01/2011 - 19:14
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
The 28-80... Not meant to be a great lens, and it's not a real macro (the 'macro' will be at the 'zoomed in' end).
As you shoot scale models, I would recommend a proper macro lens, and a comparatively wide one. It's expensive, but worth it - the DA 35mm f2.8 Macro.
Failing that, a 50mm f1.7 (yes it's an excellent lens) and extension rings would work pretty well.
If you don't need to get in too close, a sigma 24mm superwide II would be a good choice too.
As regards the Pentax-F 28-80, I beg to differ, it has earned me several thousands of pounds, the only downside is that when wide open the bokeh isn't particularly attractive.The 28-80... Not meant to be a great lens, and it's not a real macro (the 'macro' will be at the 'zoomed in' end).
As you shoot scale models, I would recommend a proper macro lens, and a comparatively wide one. It's expensive, but worth it - the DA 35mm f2.8 Macro.
Failing that, a 50mm f1.7 (yes it's an excellent lens) and extension rings would work pretty well.
If you don't need to get in too close, a sigma 24mm superwide II would be a good choice too.
It is, as Blythman says, not a true macro and his advice about a 50 and extension tubes is good.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 27/01/2011 - 22:22
Link
Well I bow to your experience, but I have not personally seen great reports of this lens. I had the A version and it wasn't bad but not something I'd really recommend specifically seeking out, especially not for 50.00.
Of course in the right hands even a mediocre lens can deliver good results!
Of course in the right hands even a mediocre lens can deliver good results!
Posted 28/01/2011 - 11:24
Link
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the models I build are mainly 1/100 scale models of giant robots... I'll upload some photos once I figure out how to take a good photo.
Thanks for the follow up info gartmore & Pentaxophile!
Gav
Thanks for the follow up info gartmore & Pentaxophile!
Gav
Posted 28/01/2011 - 11:34
Link
Thanks Gavros, but how big is a Giant Robot? Until we know that we don't know how big 1/100 of that is!
Best regards, John
Posted 28/01/2011 - 11:37
Link
johnriley wrote:
Thanks Gavros, but how big is a Giant Robot? Until we know that we don't know how big 1/100 of that is!
364 feet tall
Thanks Gavros, but how big is a Giant Robot? Until we know that we don't know how big 1/100 of that is!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


11 posts
15 years
Brighton
I'm new here..
And new to the world of SLR photography also. Just got a K-r a few weeks ago, which is very nice ot use (from my inexperienced point of view, anyway!)
I actually bought a DSLR to take photos of my scale models, but found myself looking at other subjects, like my cats, and the sky.
So I was after a macro lense and found one of these on ebay for about £50:
PENTAX F AF AUTOFOCUS PKA 28-80MM MACRO ZOOM LENS
And I also wanted a 50mm f1.4 prime as I hear they're sharp and contrasty - but they're going for about £150 on ebay, and the f1.7 is only about £50 in comparison, so I'll go for that I think:
SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 Lens - PK Fit
If I'm going too far wrong with these lenses then plese do let me know
Gav
Pentax K-r w/ 18-55mm kit lens, Pentax-a 50mm f1.7 lens
Blogspot