Don't forget to look up!

matwhittington
Posted 03/04/2011 - 18:31 Link
There have been some nice blue skies in my neck of the woods this week, so I thought it would be a shame not to take a few pics:

London Plane Trees (these are in St James's Park)
Comment Image


More London Wedge
Comment Image


and finally, Tower Bridge
Comment Image


I hope you like these. Any C&C welcomed as ever.

Best Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link
DrOrloff
Posted 03/04/2011 - 18:35 Link
Impressively vertiginous. I really like the second. The third one does my head in a bit.
womble
Posted 03/04/2011 - 18:50 Link
The angular shapes really make the second shot. Nicely spotted! K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
timbo
Posted 03/04/2011 - 19:28 Link
No 2 is my favourite, and I think it would look super in mon as well.
bwlchmawr
Posted 03/04/2011 - 19:30 Link
One and two fo me, Matt.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
ISO
Posted 03/04/2011 - 20:22 Link
No:1- Blue skys and trees go together and yours make an abstract pattern - nice shot.
paulyrichard
Posted 03/04/2011 - 20:39 Link
Mat, I cannot blame you for taking a similar image as mine in 'London Wedge', it's such a frequently photographed scene.

This is the problem I have with photography nowadays, shots that can easily be repeated like this generally are. I have come to the conclusion that a third element included in my pictures means that they're less likely to be repeated. That third element could be window cleaners, distinct shadows, quality of light, birds or planes etc.

I don't mean to talk down your images, I just think it's worthy to be mindful of this in producing your images.

Jus' my two pfennigs...
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
womble
Posted 03/04/2011 - 22:42 Link
I recently posted a picture of the "Corte de le Pizzocare" in Venice to Flickr. I then did a search on Flickr to discover nine other images, some very similar to my own! Oh well, never mind, back to the drawing board...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Smeggypants
Posted 04/04/2011 - 02:08 Link
IMO #1 and #2 should be in B&W. They don't do anything for me in the colour state.

#3 looks like an upskirt shot of some huge Urban Ant, and is by far my favourite.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
matwhittington
Posted 05/04/2011 - 06:34 Link
Thanks all for the comments. There are a number of mono versions on my flickr if anyone is interested, although I am still working to on extent on my mono conversion skills...

Paul I absolutely agree with you about the 'third element' in pictures. A quick look on flickr reveals that there is very little under the sun which has has not been photographed already, normally millions of times, so I agree that the secret is to find a new way of showing the subject or finding some unique aspect to it. I shall keep looking

BTW if anyone is interested the first shot was taken with a DA* 16-50 at 16mm, the other two with the siggie 10-20 at 10mm.

Thanks again all
Mat W

My Flickr: link
thoughton
Posted 05/04/2011 - 10:44 Link
NIce shots Mat. The tree doesn't do much for me, but the wedge and bridge are very good. My vote is for colour on all of them.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo