Doing A Tim

DrOrloff
Posted 07/02/2011 - 11:58 Link
Having very much admired Tim's Balls Of Steel street photography I found myself at Limoges station waiting for a much delayed train so I thought I'd join the craze. Very difficult indeed. My technique was to hang the camera around the neck in the usual fashion but balancing it on the top of my beer gut, thus angling it upwards, and then just point the camera in peoples' faces and click away on cable release. The compo and focus came out completely randomly with my efforts. The vast majority are in cybertrash but here are some of the less bad ones of my fellow passengers, all sharing the same blank expresssion. Much better than the photos though was the fact that it was such fun and I'll have a bit more fun until someone thumps me:

Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


and I bumped into Jay-Z:

Comment Image
thoughton
Posted 07/02/2011 - 12:05 Link
That really does look like Jay-Z!

I was admiring some of these on Flickr yesterday - I thought you were working on a 'wearing earphones' project

The IQ seems much better on these than most of mine, with the reduced noise/pleasant grain I find it's easy to forget to account for the the degradation in sharpness at the higher ISOs.

I especially like the first one, the way Nic Cage is looking at the guy is great!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
SmutjeUK
Posted 07/02/2011 - 12:14 Link
Have to say #1 does it for me too. But like the facial expressions on #5 & #6. Well done.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
davidtrout
Posted 07/02/2011 - 12:50 Link
#1 is the clear winner for me. The poster image of Nicholas Cage and the passing youth are both looking in the same direction. Its a great juxtaposition shot.
David
Smeggypants
Posted 07/02/2011 - 14:54 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="DrOrloff"]Having very much admired Tim's Balls Of Steel street photography I found myself at Limoges station waiting for a much delayed train so I thought I'd join the craze. Very difficult indeed. My technique was to hang the camera around the neck in the usual fashion but balancing it on the top of my beer gut, thus angling it upwards, and then just point the camera in peoples' faces and click away on cable release. The compo and focus came out completely randomly with my efforts. The vast majority are in cybertrash but here are some of the less bad ones of my fellow passengers, all sharing the same blank expresssion. Much better than the photos though was the fact that it was such fun and I'll have a bit more fun until someone thumps me:

Great stuff! My kind of photography!!!

And yes with blind shooting, as I do with 'Drive By' or shooting from the hip/gut you get an awful lot of wastage, but the great one's more than make up for it.


Dammit, I wasn't going to go out today, but I need some DIY supplies so I might do some more Drive By Shooting around town




These three are my favs! Especially #1

Quote:

Comment Image



Comment Image


Comment Image


[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Pentaxophile
Posted 07/02/2011 - 18:51 Link
Yes, I like no. 1 the best too... I think its the juxtaposition. I get the biggest kick out of street photography which has another element to it, that takes it beyond candid portraiture.

Although I quite like the girl with the ipod and the very dejected expression of the guy in shot 4.... don't jump, monsieur!
aliengrove
Posted 07/02/2011 - 19:03 Link
I agree, nice set, especially the first one.
davidtrout
Posted 07/02/2011 - 19:07 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
I get the biggest kick out of street photography which has another element to it, that takes it beyond candid portraiture.
That sums up what street phtography is all about for me. Just snapping candids of people in the street isn't quite what it's all about. There should be a narrative to the image, telling a story, pin pointing some odd situation, absurdity, humour or poignancy.
David
Smeggypants
Posted 07/02/2011 - 19:35 Link
davidtrout wrote:
Pentaxophile wrote:
I get the biggest kick out of street photography which has another element to it, that takes it beyond candid portraiture.
That sums up what street phtography is all about for me. Just snapping candids of people in the street isn't quite what it's all about. There should be a narrative to the image, telling a story, pin pointing some odd situation, absurdity, humour or poignancy.
David
Indeed. I wish I could have snapped the guy trying to get an 8x4 sheet of plywood into the back of a Peugeot 207 in Wivkes car park odaytoday.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
darkskies
Posted 07/02/2011 - 21:54 Link
Nice one, dr. I hope the train wasn't delayed too long, but it seems you made the most of it. You should have included the old fella in the market!
This space deliberately left blank.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo