Does it make any sense to use Pentax in the wedding photography?

Siekierus

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 13:52
My apologies for a bit controversial topic. But I had to ask you about it. Why have I raised this problem? Because on some forums ( even Pentax forums) it was clearly stated that without FF you can't even think about shooting weddings. To be honest, I have been thinking about taking up this business and now I really don't know... Should I even try? I own K-x with a bunch of lenses. Thinking about going up- K-5 maybe.
To sum up my a little too long post- I'd like to ask you, dear Pentaxians to tell me what the "truth" is. What are your experiences with Pentax in this kind of photography?
From Pentax with love...

johnriley

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 13:54
Have a look at my Blurb books. All have been shot on Pentax DSLRs. My username is johnriley1uk.

Yes you can shoot wedding photos on Pentax DSLRs, no reason at all why not.
Best regards, John

snappychappy

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 14:16
Cue one wedding shot Pentax K20

My piccies.

gartmore

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 14:17
You'll find a few of us here actually make our livings from weddings with Pentax cameras.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

StephenLewis

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 14:29
You certainly can use Pentax DSLRs (and Pentax film cameras for that matter) to shoot wedding photos. Do not be fooled by the FF controversy. I shoot many weddings every year and have done so for decades, using mainly Pentax equipment. When I converted to digital I started with K200d, then onto K20d and now K5d. You will love the K5d, especially during the solemn moments because the camera is so fast and quiet. You will also be thankful for the amazing sensor.

Best of luck and happy shooting,

Stephen Lewis
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.

Don

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 14:43
I se mine for weddings, and studio/magazine work.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Siekierus

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 15:33
Thank you all for truly inspiring feedback! In a few weeks time I'll have the first opportunity to try out my little K-x in action on my friend's wedding. Hope to get some good results.... Do you think this entry-level DSLR will be enough for the beginning?
From Pentax with love...

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 15:38
It'll be perfectly fine - probably better than a K20d as it's better in low light and faster / bigger buffer.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Tyr

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 19:30
Nothing wrong with Pentax for wedding work. As long as you know how to use your specific equipment it is as good as any other and the lenses are quite unique.

As for equipment...

The K-x is very capable. You do need a second body if shooting a wedding though, both for flexibility and backup. What lenses do you have? Fast lenses are important for subject isolation and good bokeh. Do you have any lighting equipment?
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

Frogherder

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 20:25
I being thick again - but what is FF.

As to wedding photography I took lots at my sons wedding with a K10D and several were chosen by the happy couple as being better than the pro's. Having said that the pro did a stirling job and must be congratulated for his stamina. To be fair most of us amateurs were riding piggyback and that must cause a gripe.

Bernard

Tyr

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 20:37
FF is Full Frame. A bit of a silly same really as it should be called 135 frame.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

fatspider

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 20:43
Tyr wrote:
FF is Full Frame. A bit of a silly same really as it should be called 135 frame.

Meaning its the same size as a 35mm negative

FF DSLRs have been the subject of many heated debates on this and other forums, Pentax's first foray into the Digital SLR was with a Full Frame model based on the MZs film body, it never got past the development stage due to problems with the sensor so they decided to stick with the smaller APS-c, whether Pentax will ever get around to a FF body remains to be seen.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Siekierus

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 20:55
Tyr wrote:
Nothing wrong with Pentax for wedding work. As long as you know how to use your specific equipment it is as good as any other and the lenses are quite unique.

As for equipment...

The K-x is very capable. You do need a second body if shooting a wedding though, both for flexibility and backup. What lenses do you have? Fast lenses are important for subject isolation and good bokeh. Do you have any lighting equipment?

My lenses are :
Pentax DAL 18-55 (Kit I)
Pentax DAL 50-200
Pentax F 50mm 1:1,7
Pentax DFA 100mm 1:2,8 macro
Pentax DA 10-17 Fisheye
Pentax FA 28-70 f4 (currently I use it instead of kit lenses)

Flash : a Chinese one- Tumax (not bad but still it is not an original Pentax

Second body: still gathering money
What do you think?
From Pentax with love...

fatspider

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 21:03
DONT use the fisheye near the brides nose or you'll never work again

Seriously though, I reckon the 28-70 would be the best all rounder, long enough for portraits from full lengh to close up, then you could switch to the 18-55 for group shots. The 50-200 would be ideal for close up portraits but may be a little soft compared to the 28-70

The fisheye could make some good gimmicky shots but without a lot of experience it would be best left at home.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Siekierus

Link Posted 28/04/2011 - 21:57
fatspider wrote:
DONT use the fisheye near the brides nose or you'll never work again

Seriously though, I reckon the 28-70 would be the best all rounder, long enough for portraits from full lengh to close up, then you could switch to the 18-55 for group shots. The 50-200 would be ideal for close up portraits but may be a little soft compared to the 28-70

The fisheye could make some good gimmicky shots but without a lot of experience it would be best left at home.

What about ISO? How far can I go?
And F 50mm? I thought it would be good in really low-light conditions....
I was thinking about Fisheye in the church - only for some shots from above
From Pentax with love...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.