Does anyone know where I stand?

Oggy

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 21:14
When I bought my K20 and 18-55 and 55-300, I was surprised that the price the assistant quoted was less than I had expexted, based on their website prices. I brought this to his attention, and he assured me that the price for the "bundle" was correct. When I got home I was far too busy playing with my new camera to think about checking the receipt. It was quite a bit later when I went to claim my cash back that I found that even though the assistant had scanned the box (which was for a K20, but with a 16-45 lens) it had showed up as a K200. I contacted the shop and requested correct proof of purchase. I was promised it by return of post. Some time later I got a call saying that I owed them £130 for the difference. I pointed out the bundle which I found on their site, and the caller promised he would look into it and get back to me.

Two weeks later I had heard nothing, so I wrote a letter and tonight I got a call to say that they would send the correct proof of purchase but I would have to pay £160, but they would find £30 of that, or that they would exchange the 55-300 for a 55-200, which was what they were claiming the bundle should have been. This would involve me taking a 50 mile round trip, and wasting time, a comodity I am short of at the moment.

Having had three attempts to sort out a problem caused by their staff, the settlement seems less than generous.

Does anyone know where I stand?

(I'm not going to name the company yet, but it is emphatically NOT SRS Microsystems who I have had the pleasure of dealing with subsequently.)

Last Edited by Oggy on 15/01/2009 - 22:11

Mannesty

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 23:17
1: It was their mistake.
2: You've done nothing wrong as far as I know.
3: You got a good deal.
4: Tell 'em no thanks, you'll keep what you have, unless . . .

. . . you need that receipt to make a warranty or insurance claim.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 16/01/2009 - 20:47

fatspider

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 23:52
DEMAND your rightful proof of purchase or tell them you want a full refund, even if the equipment HAS been used. (make sure its full of greasy fingermarks when you take it back)

As an afterthought re-warranty, surely they have entered the cameras serial number onto the reciept, if so then no problem.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Roscoe

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 09:20
Hello Oggy,
Was this a "Pentax Pro" dealer, how much did you pay for the DA 55-300. If it was factored into the price at more than £195, then you have been had.

If you were supplied with the wrong lens, the DA 16-45mm instead of the DA 18-55mm II, by the salesperson, then it is the fault of the dealer, who ultimately should take issue with their sales staff and not you.
If you get a negative response from the dealer, I would,
1.Contact Pentax.
2.Complain to the local trading standards office.

ttk

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 10:10
I would forget the cash back,
Keep the kit as is,
Don't contact the shop anymore,
Trading Standards Office if the said shop bothers you any more over this.

Tracey(her in doors) works in a shop and said, it would be down to them there lost not yours. AS the saying go's "Thats the way the cookie crumbles"

Good luck..
Tel,
Last Edited by ttk on 16/01/2009 - 10:12

morelia

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 10:54
ttk wrote:
I would forget the cash back,
Keep the kit as is,
Don't contact the shop anymore,
Trading Standards Office if the said shop bothers you any more over this.

I agree, that's what I would do.

hefty1

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 11:19
^^ Me too ^^
Joining the Q

jon.dc

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 11:20
In my opinion;

You brought what you believed to be a discrepancy to the sellers attention at the time of purchase, this shows you had no intent on getting the goods at a lower price. The seller told you that the price they stated at the time of purchase was correct.

Would they refund you if you paid more for a sale item after leaving the shop?

You were not dishonest in your actions as you questioned the price and have since contacted them over this.

You chose your goods as the purchaser, the seller stated their price for those goods, you asked that to be verified. What more can you do? To me its sounds like you kept to your side of the contract entered into and they are going back on theirs.

I think I would keep the equipment and point out the above points to them if they should contact you and they should except the mistake is theirs. It sounds like the assistance needs some one to one training.

Though I do think it would be pushing it to get a revised receipt and claim the cash back from Pentax on top.

Roscoe

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 11:26
jon.dc wrote:
In my opinion;

You brought what you believed to be a discrepancy to the sellers attention at the time of purchase, this shows you had no intent on getting the goods at a lower price. The seller told you that the price they stated at the time of purchase was correct.

Would they refund you if you paid more for a sale item after leaving the shop?

You were not dishonest in your actions as you questioned the price and have since contacted them over this.

You chose your goods as the purchaser, the seller stated their price for those goods, you asked that to be verified. What more can you do? To me its sounds like you kept to your side of the contract entered into and they are going back on theirs.

I think I would keep the equipment and point out the above points to them if they should contact you and they should except the mistake is theirs. It sounds like the assistance needs some one to one training.

Though I do think it would be pushing it to get a revised receipt and claim the cash back from Pentax on top.

Should make no difference to Pentax, since it's products were purchased legally and legitably, and the serial numbers asked for by Pentax should confirm this.
IT IS THE DEALER'S FAULT, NOT OGGY'S!

jon.dc

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 11:37
Roscoe wrote:

Should make no difference to Pentax, since it's products were purchased legally and legitably, and the serial numbers asked for by Pentax should confirm this.
IT IS THE DEALER'S FAULT, NOT OGGY'S!

Well Oggy could try sending a claim form in to Pentax, with the receipt and the serial numbers, leaving it to Pentax to make the decision.

I just think Oggy would be doing well if he managed to get a new receipt showing a K20 instead of a K200 from the seller.

As the price paid is lower than the K20 with discount (they want £160 back) I would just take what I have. Just my opinion though.

Oggy there's a Vulcan at the aero park up the road from me. They run it up every so often. I have a few photos of it, its amazing thing to see and hear.

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 12:25
Are You a member of the Consumers Association(Which?)? If so you could contact them for advice. Nothing like the CA getting involved to make a retailer change their mind.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 13:46
Or speak to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. As Jon.dc said, as you brought it to the shop's attention at the time and they confirmed it was the correct price, I would be very surprised if they had a leg to stand on. You may well be able to insist on a replacement invoice withoutpaying anything extra, for insurance purposes if nothing else.

And phone Pentax and ask where you would stand regarding cashback. Say you bought the items but the invoice states the wrong product, and the shop are not willing to give you a replacement receipt/invoice, but you would still like to take advantage of the cashback offer. See what they say.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

gartmore

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 13:57
Might not be the same. But a solicitor who acted for me in a house purchase contacted me after five years claiming he hadn't charged me the correct fee and could he have another £1000 please. Didn't have a leg to stand on.

I haven't bought anything involving the cashback thing but I thought you sent Pentax the barcode from the box?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 16/01/2009 - 13:58

morelia

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 15:03
You have to send the barcode from the box plus a copy of the purchase invoice or receipt.

johnriley

Link Posted 16/01/2009 - 16:32
Interesting one this. Let's have a look at it from the other way round. You are a dealer and you have two cameras, a Leica at £4000 and a silmilar Voigtlander at £400 - in error you charge correctly for the £400 one on your invoice but supply the wrong goods and actually send the £4000 camera.

The buyer then contacts you and wants you to credit the original invoice and send a corrected one, but still only charging £400.00

Does it feel right? Or would you want to say sorry, I'll exchange the goods for the right ones or you can keep the wrong ones and pay the balance?
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.