Does anyone know the answer to - 75mm Shift Vs bellows...
Posted 28/11/2006 - 09:28
Link
Answer: no, unless you want it close up.
By adding bellows or extension tubes you are making the camera/lens combination myopic (short sighted). As soon as you add any gap between the focal point of the lens and the film plane you won't be able to focus to infinity.
Matt
By adding bellows or extension tubes you are making the camera/lens combination myopic (short sighted). As soon as you add any gap between the focal point of the lens and the film plane you won't be able to focus to infinity.
Matt
Posted 28/11/2006 - 09:34
Link
H Matt,
Thanks for the reply.
That makes sense from my physics days - oh dear - now how do I achieve tilt & shift below 75mm on my 67?
Is there a lens that exists (Pentax or another good quality brand) that offers a wider angle than 75mm that anyone knows of?
:
Thanks for the reply.
That makes sense from my physics days - oh dear - now how do I achieve tilt & shift below 75mm on my 67?
Is there a lens that exists (Pentax or another good quality brand) that offers a wider angle than 75mm that anyone knows of?
:
Always use protection - a lens hood
Posted 10/12/2006 - 11:00
Link
Focussing to infinity is one issue, but more important maybe is that you need the coverage of the lens to cover the film once you shift up/down
just 2c worth.
just 2c worth.
"Snell's law & Sheimpflug make it all worth it"
Posted 10/12/2006 - 11:54
Link
The cheapest shift lens is built into Photoshop. If you scan your images and then use Transform>Skew and similar features then you can correct converging verticals very easily. The basic commands will leave you with quite a squat image, so you may also have to stretch it vertically to get an accurate representation of the original.
It does work very well and gives you a good result. Of course, as with the shift lens, the perspective you end up with is quite wrong. The converging verticals are correct, but we just don't like looking at them!
It does work very well and gives you a good result. Of course, as with the shift lens, the perspective you end up with is quite wrong. The converging verticals are correct, but we just don't like looking at them!
Best regards, John
Posted 10/12/2006 - 15:37
Link
Hi John,
Thank you for that response & suggestion.
I have not used Photoshop in that way yet as I do not scan, but just use my digital cameras for PS & good ol'analogue for Velvia prints
It's a good solution within PS that you mentioned, but for my 67 trans I was hoping to work 'in camera' and I also figure that I can have closer foreground objects of interest if I use a shift lens rather than a 'normal' 75mm lens...
Cheers
Thank you for that response & suggestion.
I have not used Photoshop in that way yet as I do not scan, but just use my digital cameras for PS & good ol'analogue for Velvia prints
It's a good solution within PS that you mentioned, but for my 67 trans I was hoping to work 'in camera' and I also figure that I can have closer foreground objects of interest if I use a shift lens rather than a 'normal' 75mm lens...
Cheers
Always use protection - a lens hood
Posted 10/12/2006 - 16:13
Link
You could always use a wider angle lens with your 67 and then process in Photoshop - that would likely cost very much less than a shift lens?
Best regards, John
Posted 24/01/2007 - 16:18
Link
I got the 75mm shift lens years ago only because an employee at the suppliers picked up and sent me the wrong box ! ( I contemplated owning up but didn't ) . I have used it a lot for architecture; there is a fall-off in illumination the more you shift, needing extra exposure. There are NO known tilting bellows for medium format as far as I know, so you will NOT be able to achieve the 'Schiempflug effect' as you could easily on a 5x4" camera by tilting the front lens panel to get more depth of field.
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Posted 24/01/2007 - 17:22
Link
Hi Peter,
Thats very interesting to know - I don't know anyone personally (I need to get out more!) who has the 75mm shift lens, so being aware of your experience with it helps.
Thanks for that feedback
Thats very interesting to know - I don't know anyone personally (I need to get out more!) who has the 75mm shift lens, so being aware of your experience with it helps.
Thanks for that feedback
Always use protection - a lens hood
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


16 posts
19 years
I've associated bellows with close-up/macro photography BUT my question is that if I fit bellows to my 67 & using my 45mm W/A can I achieve effective 'shift & tilt'?