Do you use a web Gallery?

Hardgravity

Link Posted 19/08/2010 - 19:29
Looking at the number of images posted in threads it came to mind to ask which web gallery providers people use.

I use Photobucket for odd images that I want to link to on here, but for large albums I use Picasa, as you can see from my CLICKY LINK below. I must mention I'm a cheapskate and both these are free.

Flickr is just to much work...

What do you use and why?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/08/2010 - 19:35
Photobucket for this forum, myNetimages.com for some stuff, and our own sites for other stuff.

I used to use jalbum's image hosting, but it got too complicated for me.

I also have a FileAve.com account but I haven't actually used it.

thoughton

Link Posted 19/08/2010 - 21:36
Flickr for the better stuff, Photobucket for all the crap and unfinished stuff.

I have far more images on Photobucket than Flickr

Although having recently installed Gallery2 for a client I am thinking of rolling my own.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 19/08/2010 - 21:39

aliengrove

Link Posted 19/08/2010 - 23:28
I use Flickr and my own website, which runs on Gallery3
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

johnriley

Link Posted 19/08/2010 - 23:41
My own website has a Coppermine gallery, I use Facebook for albums of family interest pictures, I post daily to EPZ, I use Photobucket for images I want to link into forums.

Different systems for different purposes.
Best regards, John

Hardgravity

Link Posted 20/08/2010 - 08:24
It's interesting how many galleries we each use, I would have thought we would only use one or two each, but the replies so far show a much wider usage.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Anvh

Link Posted 20/08/2010 - 18:36
Using the same system as Tim but instead off flickr I use Deviantart.
I also have a flickr account though but never have uploaded a photo to that and my latest photo to Deviantart is almost half a year ago while I've taken some good photos in the mean time though, just couldn't be bothered.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

gartmore

Link Posted 20/08/2010 - 18:39
I use Photium.com which is free in the basic form and very good it is too. Wix.com is also worth a look.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Anvh

Link Posted 20/08/2010 - 20:43
Just found these numbers, was at December 2009.
- 4 billion – Photos hosted by Flickr (October 2009).
- 2.5 billion – Photos uploaded each month to Facebook.
- 30 billion – At the current rate, the number of photos uploaded to Facebook per year.

So who upload photos to facebook here?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

RayB

Link Posted 20/08/2010 - 20:55
I use flickr as the sole on-line repository for my pictures at present, but am in the process of developing a web-site so I'll have some sort of gallery/album on there, just not sure what, yet.

I don't "do" facebook, Stefan, which I suppose puts me in a minority, but one I'm happy to be in

flossie

Link Posted 20/08/2010 - 21:15
I'll admit to having more photos on Facebook than anywhere else... although they really do get mashed-up badly when uploaded (squashed to fit...which considering some people dump 300 blury photos of last nights party is probably a good thing...)

On the bright side, after all that compression at least you are unlikely to have your pictures nicked off FB, unlike Flickr/Deviantart/etc... and its got privicy settings...

Lightroom 3 has a neat "instant gallery" feature if you have your own website - which is very handy...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

MrCynical

Link Posted 20/08/2010 - 21:51
I use Photobucket for posting pictures here, but I don't use an actual gallery site. I have occasionally posted photos on Facebook though I don't know [m]any photographers in 'real life' so few of my friendslist are interested!

Technoblurb

Link Posted 21/08/2010 - 09:57
I use photobucket for linking image to this site and tend to use Flickr for what passes as a gallery, it gives me a wider audience. I will probably setup my own site when I feel more comfortable with the quality of my images, not at that stage yet though.

As for facebook, working in IT I spend more time trying to keep people off facebook when they should be working, I'm fighting a loosing battle on that one.

Graham

flossie

Link Posted 21/08/2010 - 10:37
Technoblurb wrote:

As for facebook, working in IT I spend more time trying to keep people off facebook when they should be working, I'm fighting a loosing battle on that one.

With 45% of mobile internet bandwith being used on Facebook, it seems that efforts by IT to block FB mean that workers just turn to their smartphones at their desk instead...

(and its also quicker than it is on the average antique corporate PC...!)
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

Technoblurb

Link Posted 21/08/2010 - 10:49
Spot on Flossie, you would not believe how many phones disappear into draws when I go for a walk round the building.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.