Do we need nother camera

jeallen01

Link Posted 06/03/2018 - 18:05
Already having a K-5 at the time (2011-2012) but finding it a bit heavy to lug around on holiday, I bought a s/h K-R in VGC, but TBH I was rather underwhelmed by the image quality as compared with the K-5.

So, knowing that we were planning to go to the Far East for a long guided holiday in 2014, I bought a brand new, but end of line, K-30 (from Currys PCWorld and it had a 2 yr warrantee!) as I wanted the K-5 type sensor, weather-proofing and so - and was immediately impressed by the better image quality with the same lenses as compared with the K-R, and the better general facilities, and have been ever since. In fact that body is still the go-to one for holidays, days out and so on where the "extra quality", burst speed (etc.) - and weight! - of a K-3 is not likely to be justified.

No plans to buy an upgrade to the K-30, but, OTOH nowadays, although it has rarely given any trouble, I'm very aware that the dreaded shutter block failure could happen "at any time" - and would really like to get that fixed before any future holiday!
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 06/03/2018 - 18:15

danofmk

Link Posted 06/03/2018 - 18:50
I always think, when I'm tempted by an upgrade, what do I actually want this for.

If the answer is only (or mainly) to get better photos then I remind myself that you can take an excellent photo on dirt cheap gear, and that's its the eye and brain that determine what's a great snap, not the gear you take it with.

And every time so far that has convinced me I don't need an upgrade!

danofmk

Link Posted 06/03/2018 - 18:53
I got a K30 just as they discontinued it too, spring 2014 I think, on the basis the extra cost couldn't justify the K50

After seeing the k70 come out about a year later I spent ages weighing up trading in, but soon realised (applying my rule above) there was no justifiable reason for it and I was merely being tempted by that hard wired desire we all have as humans to always be wanting for something

DaveKitson

Link Posted 06/03/2018 - 19:28
Do we need another camera??

Speaking personally, l don't believe that my gear has ever been the factor that limits my photography.

So I have never NEEDED another camera. Do I WANT another camera is a totally different question.

dave k
My PBase: www.pbase.com/davekitson

bychan

Link Posted 08/03/2018 - 00:39
I "upgraded" a few years ago from the K5 to the K5iis, at the time when the K5iis was nearing being discontinued; a good deal from SRS trading in the K5, I ended up having the K5iis at a great price with the two year warranty.

At that moment in time it made sense, and I had no regrets.

Fast forward few years, and I have managed to crack the back LCD on the camera. It's still working, thankfully, so all cosmetic at the moment.

A quote for the repair from Johnsons was £199+VAT.
W O W

Suffice to say I won't be sending it in for repair.
So it now feels similar to the situation regarding upgrading from the K5, with my opinion now being the K3ii (for a brief period it would seem).

I don't want to upgrade, nor do I want to spend on fixing my K5iis.
I can live with what I have, but will keep a keen eye open on the classifieds; personally I'd rather buy a used body for slightly more than the cost of repair.

Come to think about it, if nobody did upgrade there would probably not be any used camera bodies for sale

Regards
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

Helpful

K10D

Link Posted 08/03/2018 - 08:05
Do we need another camera?

Yes, as I generally use two bodies when out on a shoot.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Bikes etc. link

Helpful

Algernon

Link Posted 08/03/2018 - 08:14
Nother Cameras are very good. I've had one for years!

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

McGregNi

Link Posted 08/03/2018 - 19:03
That reminds me of the name of a car sales firm I pass a lot in South Croydon ..... ĎAncaster Motorsí ...... it is always impossible for me to stop imagining that thereís not been an L thatís dropped off at the start of their sign .
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 08/03/2018 - 19:04

Algernon

Link Posted 08/03/2018 - 19:44
Is this the 'Two Ronnies Thread '

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 08/03/2018 - 19:45

ronniemac

Link Posted 08/03/2018 - 21:57
Algernon wrote:
Is this the 'Two Ronnies Thread '

--

Three

Some day I might convince myself that I do not need another camera, but not today, not when I have a little money in the bank and am still breathing .
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.