Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

DIY Ring Light Adapter for reversed lens

Mannesty
Posted 25/01/2007 - 18:07 Link
hi all,

I thought some of you might be interested in this. I made it from a K mount taken from an old (cheap) extension tube and an old 58mm Skylight filter. Add a few spots of Araldite and its done. I chemically cleaned, then abraded the surfaces to be glued. It was finished in a couple of hours. Not rocket science I know, but it does the job.

The following are some quick 'n dirty shots to illustrate, with a couple of sample images taken with it at the end. Not brilliant quality due to lack of time.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

This one shows my SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1:1.4 reverse mounted on the camera body using a 49mm reversing adapter, and the ring light attached to my ring light adapter.

Comment Image

And a couple of sample shots

Comment Image

Comment Image

Regards,
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
johnriley
Posted 25/01/2007 - 18:08 Link
Very ingenious - an excellent idea.
Best regards, John
Clarky
Posted 07/08/2008 - 23:20 Link
Nifty idea Pete, I have all the pieces for such a thing and will give it a try .

I made the adapter so i can reverse the lens onto the camera but using the ring light might make things a little easier Thanks

Comment Image
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
mayday
Posted 02/08/2010 - 12:18 Link
This is a reference to a very old post...However, just off to the DIY emporium in town to see if I can get hold of some good metal to metal adhesive.

As I have just about given up on ever finding the original Pentax item I have dismantled a cheap set of extension tubes (The shortest section) and found an old 49mm UV filter and removed the glass.

Now I have the bits - just need the adhesive

Will post pics of my offering once complete.

PS Anyone interested in 2 part set of extension tubes??
Regards
David

Retired at last - now all that time for photography - you would think: wink:
Edited by mayday: 02/08/2010 - 12:20
Mannesty
Posted 02/08/2010 - 12:34 Link
mayday wrote:
. . . some good metal to metal adhesive.

I used Araldite for mine. If you lightly roughen the surfaces to be joined, it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket and is more than strong enough to take the weight.

I think I used Araldite Rapid, but the normal, long setting time variant, is even stronger once set.
Edited by Mannesty: 02/08/2010 - 12:35
mayday
Posted 02/08/2010 - 15:08 Link
Many thanks Peter - will probably go for the long setting variant as you suggest, as I read that the quick setting variety is not as strong.
Regards
David

Algernon
Posted 02/08/2010 - 16:22 Link
There used to be a Metal Epoxy, much better than the normal stuff. I stuck a quick release on a tripod 30 years ago and it's still going strong. Had 6x6 cameras and all sorts on it A friend of mine who is a mechanic even used it on car engines.... repairing heat exchangers etc.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
mayday
Posted 02/08/2010 - 18:10 Link
Well, went for the Araldite Metal adhesive - didn't know they did such a thing. Proof of the pudding etc...
Algernon wrote:
There used to be a Metal Epoxy, much better than the normal stuff. I stuck a quick release on a tripod 30 years ago and it's still going strong. Had 6x6 cameras and all sorts on it A friend of mine who is a mechanic even used it on car engines.... repairing heat exchangers etc.

Regards
David

Algernon
Posted 02/08/2010 - 18:28 Link
Algernon wrote:
There used to be a Metal Epoxy, much better than the normal stuff. I stuck a quick release on a tripod 30 years ago and it's still going strong. Had 6x6 cameras and all sorts on it

This is the QR you can see the epoxy oozing from under a smooth chrome plate on top of the Bilora B&S

Comment Image

As you can see the old Linhof tripod which goes up to about 7ft 6in has had a rough life......
.... but the epoxy is as good as new
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 02/08/2010 - 18:29
polchraine
Posted 02/08/2010 - 20:28 Link
Some of the Loctite range - 454 or 435 would be ideal for this type of work.

Cyanoacrylate based but with a 20 second working time, gel not liquid and are fine for metal to metal, even on smooth surfaces. The quick curing time means line up, place together, tweak as needed, hold in place for 20 seconds - job done.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...
mayday
Posted 02/08/2010 - 22:05 Link
Well the deed is done. Left the bits to cure overnight and tomorrow. Will check it out when I get back from work in the evening...

Just out of interest, I wonder if there are any forum members who have made any useful mods or useful diy additions to their equipment?
Regards
David

Edited by mayday: 02/08/2010 - 22:08
Mannesty
Posted 02/08/2010 - 22:42 Link
I can claim only two. The adapter in this thread, and the mod of scraping paint from Jessops extension tubes in the contact area to facilitate their working with Pentax DSLR's.

One other is the drilling out of the hot shoe of a hot shoe adapter to allow modern 4/5 pin flashguns to work with the 3 pin shoe. I think Mattmatic and I were working on this at about the same time, but I can't remember who's idea it was originally. Matt did document the procedure though, so I'm happy for him to take the glory.

I'm sure there must be plenty of others.

MODERATORS: Perhaps they could be 'collected' and copied to a sub-section of their own?
Edited by Mannesty: 02/08/2010 - 22:46
petrochemist
Posted 03/08/2010 - 21:37 Link
Mannesty wrote:

MODERATORS: Perhaps they could be 'collected' and copied to a sub-section of their own?

I'd find that useful too.
I remember some DIY macro fittings, I've seen on the forum before (I think they were by Clarky but not the same as on this thread).
I've not come across many DIY tips here, but I've a collection bookmarked from elsewhere, for when I've time...

Mike
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].FlickrWPFPanoramio
Edited by petrochemist: 03/08/2010 - 21:47
mayday
Posted 03/08/2010 - 23:45 Link
Well the results are in... Tried it out this evening - much to managements displeasure -(Supposed to be going out at 7!)

First impressions:

Very straightforward to do
No particular skill - just a good small philips screwdriver
The right adhesive and a bit of cleaning and paint removal prior to fixing
Patience - let it set overnight
Bingo!
Comment Image

Using the smallest of my cheapo extension tubes, removed the back place with male fittings. Retained the body and the front plate, complete with locking mechanism
Comment Image

In the space where the male fitting lived, a 49mm filter - with glass removed, fitted in just nicely. Looked like a good glue job to the naked eye
Comment Image

Ring flash attached to Pentax A 28mm reversed, using my new ring light holder
Comment Image

All the bits in a row
Comment Image

Quick test shot of the 5 on a five pence piece
Well worth the effort to do I think if you want to try macro without the expense of a dedicated lens!
Regards
David

Mannesty
Posted 04/08/2010 - 09:49 Link
Good job, well done. I removed the locking pin from mine, I don't think I had a choice actually as I think it was only held in place by the body of the tube.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.