Discussion Fortnightly Competition # 59 - SNOW & COLD

darlene

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 17:57
Here is the thread for dicussion of fortnight # 59 - SNOW

Gwyn

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 18:09
No chance of snow or cold here for the next two weeks if the forecasts are right.

darlene

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 18:12
Well I change or shall I say enlarge the subject, to winter or cold your interruption is ok with me. Hope that helps.
Last Edited by darlene on 08/01/2011 - 18:13

GlynM

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 21:08
darlene wrote:
Well I change or shall I say enlarge the subject, to winter or cold your interruption is ok with me. Hope that helps.

I still don't think this is fair and is pushing the rules originally set out for this competition:

Quote:
Rule 7. The latest winner will select the next theme taking into consideration its practicality for all potential entrants (eg. don’t select ‘Winter’ when it’s summer down under), and will initiate the new competition as soon as possible after the previous results have been posted.

While we have had the worst recorded amount of snow for December there is now no chance of any any snow and not much winter here in next couple of weeks. The weather predictions indicate it is just going to be damp and horrible

So apologies but count me out.

Glyn

i-Berg

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 22:15
Funnily enough, no snow survived our 36 C degree day yesterday here in Oz!
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

thoughton

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 22:22
The remains of my garden snowman melted yesterday

In Darlene's defence I think expanding it to include 'cold' is reasonably inclusive, people in warmer locations still have fridges and ice creams and, in iBerg's case, cold pints of beer
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

GlynM

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 22:38
thoughton wrote:

In Darlene's defence I think expanding it to include 'cold' is reasonably inclusive, people in warmer locations still have fridges and ice creams and, in iBerg's case, cold pints of beer

I believe we have a problem with this competition. The last few subjects, including one by me, have attracted the lowest number of entries. In its peak you could expect to get 30 to 40 entries. Now we are consistently getting less than 10.

If this competition is to survive then I think the subjects need to be broad, open and fully inclusive.

I also think that if you are in the privileged position to set one of these subjects then you have a responsibility to comply with the rules set out in a sticky in this sub-forum. Even with the modifications, which still mentions "winter", I don't think this one does.

Glyn

johnriley

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 22:57
Of course it isn't over yet, but yes, subjects should be wide enough to be do-able and be inclusive of all.

If you think this one is falling by the wayside, then it could be closed off and you could start again, but you might upset anyone who had some entries planned....
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 23:01
Anyone can have a crack at 'cold,' Glyn. You can even take that as cold in colour, or emotional coldness. Even winter could be interpreted 'poetically'. 'Thinking outside the box' entries might be harder but can be a lot more interesting than going with the obvious. I don't think the lack of entries is due to the over-restrictiveness of the topics so much as the literal-mindedness of would be entrants, and perhaps the feeling that you might be judged for entering something which comes at the topic from an unusual angle.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 23:11
Yep. Check out Darlene's second post in reply to Gwyn. Perhaps the clarification needs making on the thread titles or delete and reboot the comp slightly broadened as Darlene has suggested.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 08/01/2011 - 23:15

JudithAnn

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 23:13
Hey, I might add, that by expanding the topic to include the WORD "cold" really opens it up wide.

When I am in the dead heat of the summer....I especially seek out something cold. How about a cold drink...or a cold shower....how a bout a cool breeze from a fan. How about a picture of the inside of a cooler or freezer.
Those of you who do not have snow...but still have cold weather of a sort, how about a frozen plant or frozen dew drops...or a frozen puddle...heck even a photo of ice cubes comes under cold.

I hope I have inspired some of you...even our summer buddies.It would be a real fun challange to come up with something cold....in spite of all your heat. Come on guys, lets give it a go!!!

I am surrounded by plenty of snow and freezing cold...but I think in the light of others feeling left out, I am going to try to come up with a photo of cold that has nothing to do with my Canadian weather....ummm now let me see.(Keep checking..I'll think of something)!

Regards
https://www.jastandringphotos.com

johnriley

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 23:13
It awaits Darlene's final say in her competition - what is the final title to be?
Best regards, John

GlynM

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 23:22
JudithAnn wrote:
Hey, I might add, that by expanding the topic to include the WORD "cold" really opens it up wide...

I would be happy with "cold" but I think including "winter" contravenes the current rules even if it can be "interpreted 'poetically'".

Glyn

darlene

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 23:23
darlene wrote:

Like I said " Cold" Your interruption is ok with me , what every is cold, looks cold, dress for cold. It's up to you. Give me your best shot.
Last Edited by darlene on 08/01/2011 - 23:24

johnriley

Link Posted 08/01/2011 - 23:29
Darlene's new instructions received and the title has been ammended.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.