Discussion: Weekly Competition 23: Light


Ammonyte

Link Posted 10/12/2007 - 21:55
Can the first person to post a picture in these competitions stop being so bloody good!!!!


Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 10/12/2007 - 22:15

K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 10/12/2007 - 22:31
By the way, that was taken in October near Malham in Yorkshire, just west of the Tarn, here. Quite surreal to drive round the corner of a hill and see a 20' bikini-clad woman swimming above the moor.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

niblue

Link Posted 10/12/2007 - 23:36
Ammonyte wrote:
Can the first person to post a picture in these competitions stop being so bloody good!!!!

Indeed - it's definitely out of order. McBrian's picture last week had me considering not entering and it's the same again this week!

johnriley

Link Posted 10/12/2007 - 23:36
Quote:
Quite surreal to drive round the corner of a hill and see a 20' bikini-clad woman swimming above the moor.

Yes it would be. It's not a sentence you get to write, or read, every day either...
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 13/12/2007 - 23:56
I'm sorry I haven't entered for a while....been pretty busy.
(not that I would've won or anything...... seriously good stuff!!!)
So I was practicing with painting with light for a project I'm working on.
my entry was done in camera, with only a levels adjustment (which I had to redo after checking my laptops monitor profile), minor sharpen, and color balance.

the equipment used was a ds2, 50mm1.4 360fgz flash, umbrella and stand.
15 sec exposure, f16,

also an l.e.d. blinky lightstick and a twirly fiber optic flashlight, (both $1.00 each at a dollarama store).
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Clarky

Link Posted 15/12/2007 - 08:35
Don wrote:
I'm sorry I haven't entered for a while....been pretty busy.
(not that I would've won or anything...... seriously good stuff!!!)
So I was practicing with painting with light for a project I'm working on.
my entry was done in camera, with only a levels adjustment (which I had to redo after checking my laptops monitor profile), minor sharpen, and color balance.

the equipment used was a ds2, 50mm1.4 360fgz flash, umbrella and stand.
15 sec exposure, f16,

also an l.e.d. blinky lightstick and a twirly fiber optic flashlight, (both $1.00 each at a dollarama store).

Thats an interesting effect Don. I like it. I would have liked to see it coming out of both eyes
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Don

Link Posted 15/12/2007 - 13:38
thanx. wait tillI get the project done and I'll post some images....
it's a little awkward getting self portraits, and painting with light, like that.
but it is neat seeing light that looks almost fluid and three dimensional.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 15/12/2007 - 16:22
I'm guessing ChrisA must be away, because I was sure someone would say something like "How can you have a photography competition with the theme of 'light'?". Seems even more of a fundamental aspect of photography than 'My Day' was.

But I suppose there's more room for interpretation with this one.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Don

Link Posted 15/12/2007 - 16:46
I agree that a subject like "Christmas Ornaments" would be easier to judge and more restrictive to interpet....

but wow, allowing people to go nuts and press the boundries and use interpetation, and free thought....

It's like having a group of people of various religions/cultures/ethnics and asking "what's the meaning of life?"
...only more restrictive and limiting as we confine them to the subject of photography....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

xbow

Link Posted 15/12/2007 - 17:23
Don wrote:
I agree that a subject like "Christmas Ornaments" would be easier to judge and more restrictive to interpet....

Perhaps the Mods could take over choosing the subject, for a Christmas and New Year Comps? Then return to the normal format of winner choosing the next subject. Just an idea...............
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

Don

Link Posted 15/12/2007 - 17:30
I hope not.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 15/12/2007 - 18:19
The topic of light is pretty much completely open ended, since light has to enter the lens
So unless someone submits an image with their lens cap on, it follows the theme :p heheh

Galoot

Link Posted 16/12/2007 - 01:59
Well, it could have been worse, it could have been 'Light on Toast' ??

justgetoutandride

Link Posted 16/12/2007 - 08:29
Galoot wrote:
Well, it could have been worse, it could have been 'Light on Toast' ??

and what's wrong with that?!!



Please call me aj,

I use a Pentax K10D, on a MacBook with LightRoom (vers 1.3 + beta 2)

http://www.ba-joseph.co.uk/gallery
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.