Dirty pictures

arto

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 10:07
Hopefully that got your attention ...

I'm looking for a new online film processing lab. My current lab (Peak Imaging) has been supplying me with some pretty dusty, scratched and finger-marked results, and I'm not happy. Anybody here able to recommend a place that takes a bit more care? I don't generally use ICE when I'm scanning.

Thanks!

Peter
www.siskinpress.co.uk

stub

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 10:56
You should complain to Peak. They deserve the chance to correct any mistakes.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 11:12
I thought Peak were supposed to be high quality, have you asked them why you're getting poor results?

I use these guys, who are cheaper than Peak Imaging, but better than the high street 'snappy snaps' types.

http://www.snapsphotoservices.com/filmprocessingandscanning.html

Sample scans - 'large jpeg' at £5 for the whole roll of film (lots of grain because I used cheap film): http://www.flickr.com/photos/28055843@N04/5982827886/sizes/o/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28055843@N04/5982261057/sizes/o/in/photostream/
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 24/10/2011 - 11:13

arto

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 14:18
stub wrote:

They deserve nothing from me. I'm not looking for a relationship, I just need a reliable, professional service. Nobody? How's the Darkroom in Cheltenham? Or better yet (cos it's closer) Davies Colour in Cardiff?
www.siskinpress.co.uk

petrochemist

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 18:36
arto wrote:
stub wrote:

They deserve nothing from me. I'm not looking for a relationship, I just need a reliable, professional service. Nobody? How's the Darkroom in Cheltenham? Or better yet (cos it's closer) Davies Colour in Cardiff?

They deserve the right to refund you - and if the prints are not fit for purpose they should have this pointed out to them...
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].FlickrWPFPanoramio

Steve Chasey

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 19:19
I've used the Darkroom for slide processing (30+ rolls) - good turn round time and no damage to the film. Not used them for prints.

Also used DS Colour Labs for a canvas print.

Agree with previous comments about getting Peak to redo the prints for you FOC. No need to use them thereafter if you don't feel confident of their performance going forward.

Steve
In the Pack - Gripped K5 (SE),K7 & K20, Gripped MZ-S(SE)& MZ-S,DA10-17, DA12-24, DA14, DA*16-50, 50-135, 60-250 & 300mm; FA31mm/43mm/77mm Ltds; Sigma 8-16, 135-400 & 150-500
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex

arto

Link Posted 25/10/2011 - 08:50
petrochemist wrote:

They deserve the right to refund you ...

I'm a liberal guy but this is taking human rights too far ...

The prints were fine - the negs were damaged. There's not much they can do to rectify that. And not just once, but every time recently. It's my fault of course - inertia kept me coming back for more.

Incidentally, I once had an identical experience with another online lab. I did complain then - sent them the results back as requested. They scanned the negs, did quick and dirty repairs to the scans, and printed (badly) from those scans. No refund, not great.

Might try the Darkroom. Thanks!
www.siskinpress.co.uk

spinno

Link Posted 25/10/2011 - 10:44
Are the negs scratched in a uniform way? Could your camera be at fault? Have you had it serviced , does it need a service? Are you using film that's not been kept in pristine condition?
Whilst it's easy to blame others sometimes you have look "within". If you believe you've had bad service you need to to talk to the supplier of the service and get it rectified if possible.
David

womble

Link Posted 25/10/2011 - 11:34
arto wrote:
stub wrote:

I have been using the Darkroom UK for all my developing over the last couple of years. I have no complaints at all about their treatment of the film, it has always come back fine with good quality en-prints. They aren't cheap, but the shipping is free (they supply shipping labels or you can download them from their website) and usually they are quick, often posted back the day they get them. It is rare that they take a day or two longer. That may depend on the type of film I have sent them?

If I have a small complaint it is that sometimes their scanning is not as good as it is other times. Usually the problem is that the black point is way into gray and so the scans are flat. As I only pay for the cheapest lo-res scans, pulling the black point back in software can leave artefacts in the jpegs. I get them to do the lo-res scans as they are good enough for flickr/on here which is as good as I need for 95% of my images. If I need much higher res scans from 35mm I have my own scanner. My 120 roll film images are an issue, though, as the lo-res scans do not do them justice but I don't have access to a 120-capable scanner.

Virtually all my film images posted on here/flickr/my website were developed and scanned by them.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 25/10/2011 - 11:35

arto

Link Posted 27/10/2011 - 11:53
@Spinno - nothing wrong with my cameras or film. My home-cooked b&w negs are always immaculate. As for talking to the supplier, I'm a vote-with-your-feet kind of consumer - at least, when the problems are so fundamental that I lose all faith in them. And if I provided sloppy service to my customers, I wouldn't blame them if they behaved the same way (although of course I would be happy to redo the work free of charge - just hasn't happened yet ).

Anyway, the good news is I got my first eight films back from The Darkroom today - fast! And the negs are impeccably presented. I'll be going back.

Kris, that black-point issue sounds like they're just batch scanning. Do you convert the scans to 16-bit before doing your adjustments? Might mitigate your artifacts somewhat.
www.siskinpress.co.uk
Last Edited by arto on 27/10/2011 - 11:53
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.