Digital Photo Frames

josh

Link Posted 31/12/2008 - 09:13
Hi Gang, Has anyone used or has knowledge on digital photo frames. Thinking of one for the Mrs, who will not use computer to view images. Likes them all printed to keep in albums which she looks at maybe once a year, which can get expensive. There is an old thread on this over a year ago, just wondered have they improved and are more members using them these days. Obviously my favourites and best images I will still print. Thought this could be a useful tool for displaying on mass. What is resolution and size like etc.
Cheers
JOSH.

alfpics

Link Posted 31/12/2008 - 09:16
Sorry, can't comment on the photo frames, but do you have an LCD TV? (Some) Panasonics come with a SD card reader so you can just plug your photos into that!

There is also a way of doing it with other makes but am not sure how to, apart from having the PC plugged in next to it!

Andy
Andy

josh

Link Posted 31/12/2008 - 09:28
alfpics wrote:
Sorry, can't comment on the photo frames, but do you have an LCD TV? (Some) Panasonics come with a SD card reader so you can just plug your photos into that!

There is also a way of doing it with other makes but am not sure how to, apart from having the PC plugged in next to it!

Andy

Thanks for the input Andy but do not want to display them on large screen for everyday use. just something like 10" normal table top frame size for random slide shows in background.
JOSH.

alfpics

Link Posted 31/12/2008 - 09:47
Fairy nuf!
Andy
Andy

LiamD

Link Posted 31/12/2008 - 10:23
I saw one in Jessops the other day.. about an A4 (landscape) sized display, and the images looked pretty sharp on it. I didn't look too closely, and I don't remember the price, but it seemed to do a reasonable job.

Hardly a review but..

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

serendipity

Link Posted 31/12/2008 - 10:47
I bought the outlaws one for Christmas, 7" screen and very easy to operate.
You also get a free 2G SD card with it, so fill the card and plug and play
From here https://www.picstop.co.uk/Digital-Photo-Frame/Kodak-EASYSHARE-P720-Digital-Pictu...

Mick

K10D,K100D Super.

AlfaFoxtrot

Link Posted 09/01/2009 - 08:35
The 10" Sony one looks really nice, but is pretty pricey :S They tend to be quite expensive for the screen size, not all of them are particularly user friendly either. If you have an old laptop lying around you can make one out of that, loads of guides lying around.
Very much an amateur.

aminstar

Link Posted 09/01/2009 - 09:34
Have a look at this one, http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2007/07/13/Kodak-EasyShare-...

When it was released it was at that price but now its surely lower. Check the site also for other reviews. Not sure if there are many. I ran into this one when I was looking to buy one then, but put it on the back burner. What appealed to me was the networking possibilities that the frame has. Very handy if you have a network at home, which many have at the moment.

I use EOP (Ethernet Over Power) so now I am seriously considering a picture frame as this way I can make full use of it rather than wirelessly which can be sluggish and slow around the house. With the electrical wiring now carrying my signal the speed has increased massively and all I need to is just get one more slave for it.

This is one site I always go for any gadgetery reviews before buying, have done it for years and never been disappointed. In fact it was by reading their reviews regarding the K20D that made me decide to go for it just a few weeks back , The review was eye catchingly titled "Pentax K20D digital SLR, This is the most powerful semi-pro DSLR in the world, and will blow your head clean off"

Amin
Amin Photo Gallery

gartmore

Link Posted 09/01/2009 - 10:26
Costco are doing a pack of two 7" ones for around £68 I think; I noticed them in passing but didn't pay much attention.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

iceblinker

Link Posted 09/01/2009 - 11:02
I'm not impressed by the resolution of these things. 800x480? 480x234? Think how much more you get with even a laptop screen.
~Pete

misiek_knm

Link Posted 09/01/2009 - 21:29
Personally, I wouldn't buy yet. I thought about one for my parents, but these frames are still far from ideal.
Most of these things have low resolution (and all of the cheap ones). The pricey frames (like some Sony) they look OK, but still:
1) They have to be connected to power source all the time
2) They display the picture as all LCDs do - so they are the light source not as a real picture which reflects the light)
3) They are expensive

If you want to buy the digital photoframe, go to the shop first and try out
some - also picking up the most expensive to compare - to see the difference. Bring your own SD card with pictures - check how do they display. Some frames may scale them in a weird way etc.

I dream of a quality colour e-paper. Recently I bought an e-book reader, which uses e-Ink technology. It's absolutely fantastic. It's so much better than LCD when reading a text. As far as I remember Fujitsu developed FLEPia thing which is promising, but I think we have to wait a couple of years yet...
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.