Digital Asset Management

This topic has a poll - login to enter
alfpics
Posted 07/09/2009 - 17:59 Link
I suppose I am up to the 10-12 mark. My trouble is that I am probably inconsistent with words used to describe the same thing. Ie if similar photos are added with sometime between them, I have forgotten what description I called something the first time around!

(Should have added in my earlier post that I use LR for pixel-peeping comparisons between photos and for processing as it is better for that than ACDSee)

Andy
Andy
mpjx
Posted 08/09/2009 - 11:46 Link
Adobe Bridge for me - but just because it was bundled with CS4.

I use star rating but no tags - I gulp at the thought of working through each photo.

A free alternative is Resource Space. It's a web based application so IT types, OK with running Apache, PHP, MySQL on their desktop, may find it useful.
--
K20D | DA*16-50 | DA*50-135
--
MacBook Pro | Dell U2410 Monitor | Wacom Tablet
--
Peter Bargh
Posted 08/09/2009 - 12:43 Link
Lightroom for me too. I have too many digitally archived pics going back to 2005 without tags that I need to find time to correctly tag. Then it will be brilliant. Luckily I have a good memory and can find much of what I need when I need it. Truth is I don't need the old stuff much. Like all the 1000s of mounted slides I have! Sometimes taking as many pictures as we do causes us file archiving headaches...but it's enjoyable at the time.
lemmy
Posted 08/09/2009 - 16:54 Link
I had a good program called iView which was more or less perfect. Unfortunately, iView sold out to Microsoft who have effectively tripled the price and sidelined it.

My legacy version gets left behind by all the new, silly, proprietary RAW formats.

You could drag and drop multiple images onto a keyword, all kinds of useful functions and much more logical to use than Bridge (for my taste), which seems to have an unnecessarily complex and muddled interface. And, of course, not all software interprets IPTC tags in the same way.

Like Peter, one day I will have all my stuff archived and findable in a few seconds. Honest!
RichardDay
Posted 08/09/2009 - 22:37 Link
rlebleu wrote:
Yes indeed. I use Idimager. It is very flexible, and I can find an image in seconds. But Idimager is a great deal more than a DAM. Editing, Web publishing... take look for yourself... www.idimager.com

Dick
Another vote for IDimager, simply the best DAM program available and I've tried most of them! AFAIK it's the only one that properly implements true versioning, very good review here:
http://www.damroundup.com/2008/05/12/review-idimager-v40/

and a comparison chart:
http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/flow-catalog-compare.html
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Posted 10/09/2009 - 22:25 Link
Malo1961 wrote:
Digital Asset Management or......how do you find your "bleeping" pictures.

I was wondering....,which of all the members is into using a DAM.
And if so, what are you using. Do you see the benefits of using a DAM or do you think you can do without it. Organizing, Key-wording,Rating.
Is it useful for every type of photographer, or maybe something for wedding and stock photographers only. Pro's and con's. Suggestions.
Please give me your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Martin.
Hi Martin,
I looked into this a while ago after wondering how on earth I was going to keep track of my ever growing no. of pics, and after hunting around decided on photools iMatch. Small company but active user forum and the developer isn't afraid to answer queries himself.

I find the iMatch dynamic category approach very useful and I can find things pretty quickly, IMHO it does help reduce the organisation effort and you can easily restructure your approach if you wish. You can do your file management from within iMatch, and because of the categories approach you're not straightjacketed by the physical organisation of image files within windows folders. Batch file renaming is pretty straightforward.

one advantage is that you can keep small cached versions of you pics in it and then continue working on the database even if the pics are on DVD or another machine, which I like. You can also easily copy the database from PC to laptop and add pics whilst on holiday or on location for example.

I've got about 6000 images loaded up and it's not slowing down.

drag and drop from iMatch into silkypix for editing is a doddle.

I haven't decided on my best approach to keywording yet but that's a personal thing, not something to do with the tool.

The database querying is pretty powerful, just specify the filter you want, or just drag categories into a query builder, you can generate webpages with it too which I like. There's even a 'find images like' feature (including finding pics from a hand-drawn sketch - which more for fun than serious use I think !!)

There is no built in versioning support, however some users have set up some scripts to do this, based on using sensibly structured image filenames. The user forum can assist you I'm sure.

My feeling is that to get the best out of it some IT or software or database familiarity is an advantage, but it's not essential.

Like most DAM tools I've looked at you do need to put some thought into how you want to use it, probably best to set up a small test database, experiment and play with that before loading all your images in !!

worth a look IMO :- http://www.photools.com/imoverview.php
terje-l
Posted 11/09/2009 - 08:38 Link
I try to keep it simple - the Photoshop Elements comes with an excellent Organizer, which also includes a picture downloader starting automatically when I connect my camera.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
thoughton
Posted 11/09/2009 - 12:19 Link
lemmy wrote:
I had a good program called iView which was more or less perfect. Unfortunately, iView sold out to Microsoft who have effectively tripled the price and sidelined it.

My legacy version gets left behind by all the new, silly, proprietary RAW formats.

You could drag and drop multiple images onto a keyword, all kinds of useful functions and much more logical to use than Bridge (for my taste), which seems to have an unnecessarily complex and muddled interface. And, of course, not all software interprets IPTC tags in the same way.

Like Peter, one day I will have all my stuff archived and findable in a few seconds. Honest!
Agreed, iView was great. One of the best things about it was that the library file (containing all the thumbnails) could be on your local hard drive, while the actual photos could be on a network share. Really great for laptops. I used to work at a place where we used to it catalog all of the stock photography CDs, a couple hundred gigs of stock produced an approx 1 gig library file.

Then MS bought it and ruined it (as usual).
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 11/09/2009 - 12:20

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo