Dedicated flash

Anonymous

Link Posted 01/01/2004 - 02:36
Any suggestions on a good dedicated flash that I can use with my ist D? Right now all I have is an old vivitar 283.

malcolmk

Link Posted 01/01/2004 - 09:16
Look at the Pentax AF360FGZ. A wealth of facilities that work well with the *ist D. I'm so pleased with mine I'm thinking of getting another.

ShotGun

Link Posted 02/01/2004 - 02:58
Agree with Malcolmk. The only little complain I have is the absence of head swivel, but that's very minor.
http://www.photonski.com/shotgun http://www.pbase.com/santyluib/first_istd_sample_photos
---------------------------------------
"It's only a Pentax!"

Anonymous

Link Posted 02/01/2004 - 14:34
Thanks- I just ordered one and will give it a try! I noticed that in the specifications it did not swival. I was hoping that it did, but my Vivitar does not swivel either and I have been doing OK with that one for many years.

Anonymous

Link Posted 04/01/2004 - 18:46
If you want a swiverl flash, you can get a Sunpak 444D with a Sunpak TTL PT-2D module for Pentax cameras. The PT-2D module also works on the 422D, which is an older version of the 444D.

malcolmk

Link Posted 04/01/2004 - 18:56
Who needs the 360 to swivel when you have the wireless mode which allows you to put it and point it where you like? It's light enough to hold in your left hand while you take pictures with your right.

ShotGun

Link Posted 05/01/2004 - 03:38
Hi malcolmk,

You are right about holding the flash in the other hand in a wireless P-TTL mode, I did it on a few occasions (works great), but later found out that doing this can easily become cumbersome, especially if you need to be dynamic and shoot dynamic subjects (people, kids, b-day parties, people candids, etc..). Maybe it's just me, but i think this method takes away the ease, ergonomics, and easily fatigues you in a short time... just me .2 cents

I used to shoot with film with my MZ-S and the AF500FTZ with the Stofen Omni cap, and shooting (people indoor) vertically with the flash swiveled upwards (about 70 degrees) consistently gives stunning results, no harsh shadows, and generally pleasing and softer flash illumination. Sad to say I can't make it to work on the *ist-D - it ALWAYS underexposes the shots 100% with AF500FTZ tilted/bounced (I posted this in another thread some time ago).

With the 360, my "underexposed bounce flash" problem has been fixed, but I would still prefer if I can can swivel the flash head without detaching it from the camera when doing verticals.
http://www.photonski.com/shotgun http://www.pbase.com/santyluib/first_istd_sample_photos
---------------------------------------
"It's only a Pentax!"

malcolmk

Link Posted 05/01/2004 - 08:26
I agree my comment was a bit tongue in cheek but it's a method that can be added to your armoury when needs must and some users may not have thought of it. I can imagine it might be impractical when trying to direct children into the right pose etc. I have also used the wireless facility for candid indoor shots by just leaving the flashgun lying on its back in a convenient postion.

One day the off camera flash accessories I ordered three months ago will show up.

MattMatic

Link Posted 05/01/2004 - 10:11
Hi all!

Just ordered a Stofen Omni bounce OM-PZ8 that fits the AF360FGZ
http://www.stofen.com/Store/index.htm

(This is a new addition to their range, added in November. Should've bought one earlier )

Matt

PS. Now I'm seriously considering getting some serious Pentax glass (the 24-90/3.5-4.5 and the 43/1.9 are tempting) and replacing half of my lenses, or the new Sigma 12-24mm... hmmmm.
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

malcolmk

Link Posted 05/01/2004 - 10:32
I'm dithering about whether to start replacing my set of 'M' lenses too. Why do you fancy the 43mm Matt? I assume you mean for the *ist D. Few would be tempted by a 65mm lens on a full frame camera.

I find the 31mm more attractive but it's a bit bulky.

Thanks for the 'bounce' link, I'll take a closer look at that.

MattMatic

Link Posted 05/01/2004 - 14:46
Malcolm,

(Going a bit off topic here...) The 43mm is reputed to be one of the sharpest lenses around. However, given the price of the 50/1.7 (which is also a formidable lense), that's rather tempting too Maybe I am just being easily tempted I am getting a little fed up with bad glare handling in my Tokinas. Overall they are very well built, nice sharp optics, and solidly built - handy too that they all have 72mm filters. Yet, the Pentax 24-90 is seriously tempting me as a replacement which will cover 75% of my needs. (The Tokina 24-200 has been very, very useful as a take-anywhere-take-anything lense, and I don't think I'd part with that. It's so useful when having to think about my kiddies too )

Regarding the Stofen stuff, the results with the Omnibounce are wonderful - it produces such a lovely light, very good for close range portraits. I ordered a "universal" fitting one from 7dayshop as soon as I got the AF360, but was mighty disappointed to find out that it wasn't that universal. So I emailed Stofen in July 2002, they replied telling me that an OM-PZ4 plus sticky tape would fit. As I mentioned, at the beginning of November 2003 they emailed me to say they now had AF360 support - that's what I call service (remembering my details for over a year)!!!

So, I'll let you know how it goes

Matt.
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Lurach

Link Posted 10/01/2004 - 23:00
Matt,

I'm just wondering about the Sto-fen difusser/s. Did you order direct from the Sto-fen site - presumably in the USA, or did you order closer to home. I was having a root around Dublin during the week but they're a rare species!!

As a matter of interest, I have been asked to take some shots of the local scout unit here next week. (There have traditionally been two scouting associations here in Ireland - don't ask like a lot of things in Ireland it has to do with history and a wee thing called The Empire!!. However, as of January 1 there is now one merged association and the local unit want a few photos of the membership as at the historic date.)

Anyway, while carrying out a few test shots I pulled out an old Vivitar 283 with its' "clip-on" diffuser card - a 10" x 8" card with a large holder to clip it onto the 283. I set the gun up on a tripod, attached a three metre cable between the *istD's X-sync and the flash-gun and hey-presto, one or two trials at the various manual power settings and....... "studio-flash" on a shoe-string. (I now have the AF360 but it was great to resurrect some of the old stuff and find that it works perfectly with the *istD's X-sync.)

Well, I'm off to perform the firmware update now.

Happy new year to all
Lurach

Lurach

Link Posted 10/01/2004 - 23:05
Ava,

Sorry, just noticed your post regarding the Vivitar 283. By all means buy something "dedicated" - I can vouch for the AF360 - but do not throw the 283 away .

See my post above, you can still get great use out of it
Lurach
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.