Decisions, decisions. What would you do?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

Mannesty

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 10:06
I'm in a quandary.

I have a few lenses that I don't use very much at all but they are either quite rare or expensive, or both.

The lenses in question are SMCP-A 24mm 1:2.8, SMCP 50mm 1:1.2, SMCP-F 50mm 1:1.7, SMCP-FA 135mm 1:2.8, SMCP 500mm 1:4.5.

I have DA* zooms covering the whole range except the 500mm and I have the DA* 55mm 1:1.4 SDM which is almost as fast as the 50mm 1:1.2. I find myself using these zooms most of the time for the convenience of compositional adjustments and to my eyes the difference in IQ of the images from these zooms compared to the primes is indistinguishable.

Given this situation, what would you do? Sell, or keep them?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

johnriley

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 10:25
I think the quandary is a different one that many will assume. I have an old friend (in both senses of the word) who has masses of old and rare cameras and lenses. He has sat on them so long that many of the lenses are now full of fungus and the cameras are unexercised and in need of a service in most cases. They are all there just to be looked at, but what good do they do?

Now I'm sure your lenses are not anywhere near that state, but having them hanging about is doing them no good. IMHO they should be used, which is why these days anything I'm really not using gets moved on.

Nothing lasts for ever and older lenses in particular do not store well.

I would by all means offer them here, but if a reasonable price wasn't forthcoming then on to eBay and see them whisked off to Japan, Taiwan or some other exotic home.
Best regards, John

Mannesty

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 10:28
Excellent point John, and something that I hadn't considered. Thank you.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

robbie_d

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 10:31
I'm with John on this.

Lenses (like cars) are designed to be used. Whilst it nice to have a huge collection of lenses (or anything for that matter), it does get to the point where many will not be used.

I'm at that stage already with 6 lenses, which may prompt me to sell my manual lenses soon.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

womble

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 10:52
As my collection of cameras has grown I find myself deliberately using a specific camera because I haven't used it for a while, or deliberately using a specific lens for the same reason. I must admit that I rarely use older zooms any more but I try to give all the primes a bit of a work out.

Logic and sense dictates that you should sell them. I, personally, would find it difficult as I am a bit of a hoarder mainly of books, CDs and Pentax camera equipment.

That little lot would fetch a good price, the FA 135mm is not a common beast!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

hefty1

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 11:35
I'd sell them all except the 500mm - if you already have the other focal lengths covered by lenses you prefer using then they're unlikely to find their way back to your camera bag. With the 500 though, if you sell it you can almost guarantee a situation will arise shortly after where you'll think "I wish I had a 500mm lens for this..."
Joining the Q

Mannesty

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 11:38
womble wrote:
. . . the FA 135mm is not a common beast.

Imagine the dilemma I'm having fixing a price on it then

I can find none on ebay, past or present. I'll have to trawl all the resellers used pages now.

Anybody have any ideas as to it's value? Assume it's in very good condition with only a few signs of normal, not excessive, use. It has a few specks of dust inside but nothing alarming. Otherwise it's in very good nick.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

johnriley

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 11:44
What I do is start rare and desireable items at £20.00 - it encourages people to bid and no reserve means they are confident they have a chance to win.

So far, no rare and desireable item has disappointed and a few have excelled themselves.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 05/05/2010 - 11:44

polchraine

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 12:16
How about talking to SRS and selling the 500 to them as part of the new rental offering?

There could be a few here who would like to rent it for a week or two and there is no way SRS could get a new one.

mph555l

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 12:23
FA135 - KEH currently have one on their web site at $465 and it has been there a while now. Perhaps that gives a rough idea what it might fetch ?

Cheers,

/Ian
K10D & Super A user.

whelmed

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 12:54
Well, since your not using them, if you think that the lenses are going to inflate by more than any interest (or lack of debt) you would get off of selling them, then keep them in a cool dry place and enjoy the beauty of the collection as it's being treated as an investment.

To be frank, lens prices right now seem to be a bit absurd for Pentax. There is a lovely nifty 50 f1.8 on Canon which you can get for 75 quid, whereas you'll fetch 170-200GBP for that SMC-F 50mm F1.7. I'd sell if I wasn't using them, and I didn't have an immediate future use in mind. The potential future use is why I'm not letting anyone else touch my Tamron 55BB mirror even though it has only come outside 2 times.

This is also being said by the guy who seems to hold onto lenses for more than 4-5 weeks before selling and swapping
K-5; Siggy 10-20 f4, 30mm f1.4, 18-50mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8; Tammy 400mm f4, 500mm f8
Last Edited by whelmed on 05/05/2010 - 12:55

Pwynnej

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 13:52
I'm actually interested in the 135mm.

My 24-90 is most probably going to be sacrificed for an FA*28-70, and I want primes rather than zooms at the longer focal lengths.

Mmmm scratches chin

Unlocker

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 14:31
Quite often I find myself asking the same question, as an example, I don't think our 31 & 77 LTDs have been used this year at all, as I also find the quality from the DA* zooms is right up there to negate their use.

Do I keep them for a possible FF camera, or sell em for over £1k? The money would definately be useful, but am I going to regret selling them once they've gone?

The common sense coming from this thread is suggesting they may be on sale soon!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

Mannesty

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 17:45
polchraine wrote:
How about talking to SRS and selling the 500 to them as part of the new rental offering?

There could be a few here who would like to rent it for a week or two and there is no way SRS could get a new one.

Oddly enough, the lens came from SRS as part of a trade-in deal for my 135-600mm.

Thanks for the idea though, another avenue I hadn't considered.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 05/05/2010 - 17:47

Mannesty

Link Posted 05/05/2010 - 17:51
Unlocker wrote:
Quite often I find myself asking the same question, as an example, I don't think our 31 & 77 LTDs have been used this year at all . . .

That'll be my dilemma for next week Danny. I have all three FA Ltd's in the highly desirable titanium colour (some lesser informed sources call them silver), and I use them very rarely. I don't think I've ever used the 43mm Ltd, though it was bought in used condition, the other 2 were bought new and have appreciated quite a bit I think.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.