Decent wide angle lens
Posted 21/05/2012 - 21:29
Link
I've sorted the title for you.
Good wide angles don'y come cheap, so the most versatile high quality lens may well be the SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4.
There are also some primes, but they aren't cheap either.
Good wide angles don'y come cheap, so the most versatile high quality lens may well be the SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4.
There are also some primes, but they aren't cheap either.
Posted 21/05/2012 - 21:33
Link
My favourite wide angle is my DA14mm/2.8 Actually that's not stictly true, my real favourite is the DA10-17, but I'm guessing you're not including a "fish eye->very wide" in your agenda?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 21/05/2012 - 23:16
Link
The 12-24 is a lovely lens (clunky AF but I'm not bothered about AF for these focal lengths) but it's now £800 which I think makes the Sigma 10-20 a better option.
Posted 22/05/2012 - 00:14
Link
I've seen pics taken with the Siggy 10-20 and I would agree that's an excellent suggestion and a better choice than the 12-24
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 22/05/2012 - 04:55
Link
sigma 10-20 ok cheers peeps
Posted 22/05/2012 - 06:42
Link
Hi John, SRS are doing the Sigma 10-20 for £330 which is a good price for a good lens, I have one and I like it. I am sure the Pentax is a better lens but at £700+ it should be.
Posted 22/05/2012 - 23:25
Link
Just to confuse the issue, I've owned the Sigma 10-20 before and to be honest didn't like it much at all...the colour rendition wasn't as pleasant as the 12-24 & I hated the levels of distortion which despite several attempts I found were not always correctable (if that's a word) It wasn't as sharp as the 12-24 either
I'd go with the 12-24 everytime although i do hear good things about the Sigma 8-16 which is supposed to be better than the 10-20
Simon
I'd go with the 12-24 everytime although i do hear good things about the Sigma 8-16 which is supposed to be better than the 10-20
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 22/05/2012 - 23:31
Link
They're my thoughts too on the merits of the Sigma 10-20 v Pentax 12-24. The Sigma 8-16 is a good lens too and somewhat of a bargain given nothing else covers the range and actually compliments the 12-24 quite well. It's too wide to make using filters practicable though at the wide end.
John
John
John K
Posted 23/05/2012 - 16:29
Link
johnriley wrote:
wide angles don'y come cheap,
You should also sort your spelling.wide angles don'y come cheap,
Just couldn't resist that one.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 31/05/2012 - 19:07
Link
Hi John
I have the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and love the lens, but I recently bought the DA15 and have found the lower weight to suit me if I'm walking around a hot city all day.
If weight isn't an issue (470g vs 212g) then the Sigma gives the possibility of a wider field of view at a much lower purchase price.
Personally I find the DA15 to suit me better and may have to sadly sell the Sigma...
If you would like to see some photo's I've taken with both lenses, you can see them here. Each photo will tell you which lens.
Good luck!
I have the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and love the lens, but I recently bought the DA15 and have found the lower weight to suit me if I'm walking around a hot city all day.
If weight isn't an issue (470g vs 212g) then the Sigma gives the possibility of a wider field of view at a much lower purchase price.
Personally I find the DA15 to suit me better and may have to sadly sell the Sigma...
If you would like to see some photo's I've taken with both lenses, you can see them here. Each photo will tell you which lens.
Good luck!
Posted 31/05/2012 - 19:29
Link
simonoffpiste wrote:
Personally I find the DA15 to suit me better and may have to sadly sell the Sigma...
I'd second that, about the DA15. it is one of my favourites, so versatile, and such rendition. I was thinking of buying the 12-24, despite the duplication, and I know at least one other member had both and sold his 15 because he found the zoom fittled more occasions. But the price of the 12-24 in relation to what it was in the not so distant past is hard (for me) to come to terms with. Perhaps in 10 years' time I'll be reconciled to it, and in the meantime with the DA15 and DA17-70 I don't feel too impoverished at the wider angles.
Personally I find the DA15 to suit me better and may have to sadly sell the Sigma...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


61 posts
14 years
Any ideas of make and price would be very welcome (no science please)
also any links to photo's you have taken with wide angle lenses would be a help too.