DA 55-300mm

RobE17

Link Posted 27/09/2009 - 21:35
I bought this lens last year but since purchasing the 60-250 it has been used less and less. I am looking to perhaps replace it with the 50-200mm WR primarily for the trip to Iceland as I would like a weather resistant zoom that is compact and not that heavy for air travel which for me rules out the 60-250mm. In general what is the opinion of the standard 50-200mm?

Has anyone else got any advice and suggestions please? This also means that the 55-300mm will be on sale soon but this will of course be taken care off in another forum

Thanks

Rob

RichardDay

Link Posted 27/09/2009 - 21:55
Sadly nowhere near as good as the 55-300 but not a bad lens, it's just that the 55-300 is very good for the money, don't know about the more recent WR version, I suspect it will be similar.

I sold my 55-300 soon after I bought the 60-250 and haven't found the extra weight to be a major drawback even when flying Ryanair . Is the extra weight really such a large issue?
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link

RobE17

Link Posted 27/09/2009 - 22:32
RichardDay wrote:
Sadly nowhere near as good as the 55-300 but not a bad lens, it's just that the 55-300 is very good for the money, don't know about the more recent WR version, I suspect it will be similar.

I sold my 55-300 soon after I bought the 60-250 and haven't found the extra weight to be a major drawback even when flying Ryanair . Is the extra weight really such a large issue?

The weight might not be an issue Richard with Icelandair but I'm thinking about carrying it around as well.

RichardDay

Link Posted 28/09/2009 - 11:18
RobE17 wrote:
RichardDay wrote:

The weight might not be an issue Richard with Icelandair but I'm thinking about carrying it around as well.

I usually carry my daily/travel gear (K20D, 17-70 and 60-250 in a small Nat Geo Midi bag shown below.

I used the same configuration when I had the 55-300, I haven't found any great inconvenience in the weight addition.

My alternative combination when I don't want anything over my shoulder and my hands free, is a Lowepro Zoom 2 case and lens case 2 on a belt, which you can just see in this shot of me and the boss in France this summer.

As you can see, I'm an overweight ol' f@rt and carrying any extra weight is a big issue for me!

I hope my comments are helpful, as a different bag combo is less expensive than another lens! Especially as you really do want the best possible IQ in any shots that you take on such a trip, in fact, anywhere.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Last Edited by RichardDay on 28/09/2009 - 11:21

RobE17

Link Posted 28/09/2009 - 15:33
Thanks for your comments and advice Richard, I may well stick with the 55-300mm and have a look at the bags that I've got. As you say the cheaper option
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.