DA*16-50mm suitable for landscapes?
Posted 22/09/2009 - 11:26
Link
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 22/09/2009 - 11:45
Link
Cracking shot
Where was that taken? As I'll be using the K-7 I think it can make those adjustments in camera.
Where was that taken? As I'll be using the K-7 I think it can make those adjustments in camera.
Posted 22/09/2009 - 12:09
Link
I bought the DA*16-50 specifically for my trip to the Grand Tetons (above) and Yellowstone. I am very happy with the results from it. So far I only have corrected one shot for barrel distortion.
I have always been a prime shooter, but for a travel kit I would not hesitate to take it again.
I have always been a prime shooter, but for a travel kit I would not hesitate to take it again.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 22/09/2009 - 12:11
Link
I doubt you'd notice distortion in a photograph of nature. Buildings are another matter. But with buildings you'd often be using the 12-24.
I'd risk my 16-50 in a light drizzle, but not in pouring rain.
G
I'd risk my 16-50 in a light drizzle, but not in pouring rain.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 22/09/2009 - 12:39
Link
Quote:
I'd risk my 16-50 in a light drizzle, but not in pouring rain.
Took the 50-135 in the pouring rain I'd risk my 16-50 in a light drizzle, but not in pouring rain.
Not a problem. Just dried it with a towel, then left it out to dry out naturally.
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 22/09/2009 - 12:46
Link
George Lazarette wrote:
I'd risk my 16-50 in a light drizzle, but not in pouring rain.
My 16-50 has been out a few times in pouring rain, not a single problem. As Matt says just wipe down afterwards and leave to dry I'd risk my 16-50 in a light drizzle, but not in pouring rain.
A little (rubbish) example of the conditions DA* lenses can cope with
[IMG]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1345/imgp1699.jpg[/IMG]
Back to the topic...yes the 16-50 is an ideal landscape tool IMO.
Posted 22/09/2009 - 13:33
Link
In short, Yes. It is a good lens for landscapes.
The slightly longer version...... Any lens is good for landscapes. It only depends on your imagination in which you use it.
Iceland for instance has a lot of scenes that cry out for the use of telephoto lenses. Compressed perspective, mountain ranges, hot water springs, steam.Etc..... Don't be surprised if afterwards your most used FL would be near or above 100 MM .
Have fun, and take as much gear to cover every possibility.
Martin.
The slightly longer version...... Any lens is good for landscapes. It only depends on your imagination in which you use it.
Iceland for instance has a lot of scenes that cry out for the use of telephoto lenses. Compressed perspective, mountain ranges, hot water springs, steam.Etc..... Don't be surprised if afterwards your most used FL would be near or above 100 MM .
Have fun, and take as much gear to cover every possibility.
Martin.
Posted 22/09/2009 - 14:04
Link
Greytop wrote:
My 16-50 has been out a few times in pouring rain, not a single problem. As Matt says just wipe down afterwards and leave to dry
I consider weather proofing to be very high on my list when it comes to buying a camera which is why I bought into Pentax and have since purchased 3 DA* lenses for just such occasions.My 16-50 has been out a few times in pouring rain, not a single problem. As Matt says just wipe down afterwards and leave to dry
I just can't bring myself to take it outside in the rain though ..
Posted 22/09/2009 - 19:19
Link
I think you chaps are being a bit optimistic about the water-resistant properties of your lenses. I have a Rolex Submariner, bought when I used to dive, and after a while with these watches the seals go, and need to be replaced. I found that out the hard way. I suspect water-resistant lenses are the same.
I would hope my 16-50 would survive a heavy shower, but I'm not going to risk it if I can help it.
G
I would hope my 16-50 would survive a heavy shower, but I'm not going to risk it if I can help it.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 22/09/2009 - 19:47
Link
the 16-50 is terrific for landscapes, but I suppose that depends on your style so I might be an idea to take the 12-24 along too.
My DA* lenses have had several soakings with no adverse effects, my K20D and 16-50 even survived a day in Glastonbury Town while the festival was on so you can tell how wet it got.
My DA* lenses have had several soakings with no adverse effects, my K20D and 16-50 even survived a day in Glastonbury Town while the festival was on so you can tell how wet it got.
Posted 22/09/2009 - 23:34
Link
What sort of shots do you take in the pouring rain?.....
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



679 posts
18 years
Essex
Is the DA*16-50mm suitable for landscape use from those of you that have it? I bought a 12-24mm from Amin a month or so ago which I know will be very useful but I was thinking more of the weather sealing aspect as well and looking at what lenses to take. I will be using it on a K-7 (which has now been repaired ) and my partner she will be using the K20.
Thanks
Rob