DA*16-50mm question

Lee Ash

Link Posted 19/04/2008 - 14:28
Hi guys... sorry, I haven't been on here for ages....
I just bought a DA*16-50mm lens and I don't feel entirely confident about it but I can't put my finger on whats wrong! Its something to do with the auto focus I don't feel happy about and I know there have been some doubts raised about this lens in the recent past... what are the supposed problems people are talking about? Is it the focus? It doesn't seem sharp enough some how, buts its very slight.
The build quality of this lens is outstanding but something about it is making me uncertain....
Apologies again for my absense, your advice would be appreciated
cheers Lee

Hyram

Link Posted 19/04/2008 - 15:05
Lee Ash wrote:
Is it the focus? It doesn't seem sharp enough some how, buts its very slight.

How are you reaching this conclusion i.e that is does not seem quite sharp enough, but it is very slight

Are you talking about the lens not being quite sharp enough or do you think that you have an autofocus problem

If you think that you might have an autofocus problem, you could take a series of test shots on a tripod, half using autofocus and half manually focussed.

Which autofocus settings are you using It definitely makes a difference depending on the subject matter.

My entry in this week's competition was taken using the DA* 16-50 and the result seems o.k. to me

If you submit some photographs, I am sure that some comments will follow.

I am sure that there is some misinformation about this lens on the internet.

It was tested and well received (in Tokina form) by AP a few months ago.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

ChrisA

Link Posted 19/04/2008 - 17:54
Hyram wrote:
I am sure that there is some misinformation about this lens on the internet.

I'm sure this is true.

Far be it from me to fan such flames, but I have to confess to being quite concerned by the amount of anecdotal (and yes, hence unreliable) evidence suggesting at the very least that the QC on this lens is variable.

I've read several accounts elsewhere of people that have bought one, found it poor (uneven focus, typically), exchanged t for another, found it the same, exchanged it again, and then found it excellent.

They may of course have been suffering from the old problem behind the viewfinder rather than in front of it, but the weight of such experiences does make me wonder.

It's an expensive lens with a '*' in the name. They should be unremittingly excellent, shouldn't they?

Hyram

Link Posted 19/04/2008 - 18:31
It is difficult to know where the truth lies.

With computers at work, we work on the placebo effect.

Someone says that their computer is running really slow and unable to handle the graphics information quickly enough. So my IT colleague waits until the person with the 'apparent' problem is out of the office for a day and then tells them upon their return that he has installed another 2GB of RAM. The person switches on their computer and says that it has transformed their computer, when actaully nothing has been done to it
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

ChrisA

Link Posted 19/04/2008 - 18:43
Hyram wrote:
So my IT colleague waits until the person with the 'apparent' problem is out of the office for a day and then tells them upon their return that he has installed another 2GB of RAM. The person switches on their computer and says that it has transformed their computer, when actaully nothing has been done to it

Well this might work with some people. However, if your colleague was stupid enough to try that with anyone who knows anything, he'd be busted very quickly.

That said, I think maybe your analogy is a good one, and it wouldn't surprise me if Pentax employ a similar tactic - assume that all the punters are morons (because statistically, that's quite sensible), and fob them off with any old crap if they complain. If they persist, grind them down with delays and non-answers; most of them will eventually go away (since the keener they are, the less they'll want to send their camera in to be fixed).

If it wasn't for forums like this one, no one would ever get anywhere.

Pwynnej

Link Posted 20/04/2008 - 13:25
Lee Ash wrote:
Hi guys... sorry, I haven't been on here for ages....
I just bought a DA*16-50mm lens and I don't feel entirely confident about it but I can't put my finger on whats wrong! Its something to do with the auto focus I don't feel happy about and I know there have been some doubts raised about this lens in the recent past... what are the supposed problems people are talking about? Is it the focus? It doesn't seem sharp enough some how, buts its very slight.
The build quality of this lens is outstanding but something about it is making me uncertain....
Apologies again for my absense, your advice would be appreciated
cheers Lee

Yes, the talk on the forums is quite disconcerting..

Finally, after a few months I have used my 16-50 in anger, with some trepidation...

And guess what? As I am processing through the pictures I notice a major difference with this lens compared to the others I have... It is fantastic... my K10D has the lens it deserves.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.