Da* lenses

weinelm
Posted 29/03/2014 - 10:05 Link
I wouldn't think you'd need to have them all. Obviously it depends on your shooting style:

*55

Suprised noboby wants this one! I very much like this lens and find it a good companion to a wide prime (or the GR)

1) 16-50, 50-135 and 300, or
2) 16-50, 60-250

I don't think you need both the 300 and 60-250. The 50-135 is the perfect companion to the 16-50. They make a nice travel set.

The 16-50 is much maligned, but I find it superb. The rendering is particularly good. I don't feel I'm compromising anything on IQ if I use it in preference to a prime. It is quite expensive and I think people expect it to be perfect for the money. But like (m)any lenses it is weaker at the extremes. The 18-135 can give it a good run for the money at wider angles and f5.6-f8, but I find the 16-50 is better over a wider range.
Panasonic GX80, Pentax MX, Mamiya 6. My Flickr
duncanM
Posted 29/03/2014 - 10:35 Link
davidtrout wrote:
I've got three DA* lenses, 16-50, 50-135 and 200 and love all three, they cover 99% of all my photographic requirements.
I can't imagine why the DA*16-50 gets indifferent reviews, for me its superb.
Sums up my position on the matter almost precisely ( ...I'd want to add in the DA12-24:roll
Edited by duncanM: 29/03/2014 - 10:43
johnriley
Posted 29/03/2014 - 10:37 Link
How does the 50-135mm stack up in reviews? Are similar things said, or is there a really impressive set of comments?

The 16-50mm being weak at the edges at open aperture might or might not be a weakness. It might make a very nice portrait lens at 50mm for exactly that reason. When stopped down it might have amazing performance. Lenses can be designed like that, and it's the one thing that is very rarely brought out in reviews.

I don't have one, I do have the 16-45mm f/4, so I can't comment beyond that, but users seem to rate it very highly.
Best regards, John
CMW
Posted 29/03/2014 - 11:19 Link
johnriley wrote:
How does the 50-135mm stack up in reviews? Are similar things said, or is there a really impressive set of comments?

The 16-50mm being weak at the edges at open aperture might or might not be a weakness. It might make a very nice portrait lens at 50mm for exactly that reason. When stopped down it might have amazing performance. Lenses can be designed like that, and it's the one thing that is very rarely brought out in reviews.

I don't have one, I do have the 16-45mm f/4, so I can't comment beyond that, but users seem to rate it very highly.
My impression, bolstered by a quick look over some reviews, is that the 50-135 has had a much more positive press. It isn't without the compromises that any lens design has to grapple with -- eg it's criticized for being a little soft wide open at 135mm -- but overall it's a 'thumbs up' from its reviewers. Your point about a designer's intentions for a lens is valid and may well explain what the reviewers have identified as weaknesses in the 16-50. It's hard to know for sure.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
weinelm
Posted 29/03/2014 - 11:54 Link
If you read the reviews you might think that the 16-50 is "unusable" wide open at 16mm. I shot this just messing about. I'm not saying it shows off what the lens is capable of, or that this picture is going win any awards. Obviously most of the picture is deliberately out of focus, but I kind of like the toy lens, tilt shift feel it's created.

DA* 16-50mm, 16mm, f2.8, ISO1600
Comment Image


Who would shoot a landscape, wide-open, handheld at ISO1600? Sometimes I think there are too many "rules" of photography....
Panasonic GX80, Pentax MX, Mamiya 6. My Flickr
Edited by weinelm: 29/03/2014 - 11:55
Smeggypants
Posted 29/03/2014 - 12:13 Link
weinelm wrote:
If you read the reviews you might think that the 16-50 is "unusable" wide open at 16mm.
"Reviews" said the same about the 'edge softness' of teh Sigma 30/1.4 wide open. Reviewers who obviously had no idea of the intended design, which wasn't to shoot images that were raxpr sharp right across the frame. You certainly don't need maximum resolution for bokeh anyway


Quote:

I shot this just messing about. I'm not saying it shows off what the lens is capable of, or that this picture is going win any awards. Obviously most of the picture is deliberately out of focus, but I kind of like the toy lens, tilt shift feel it's created.

DA* 16-50mm, 16mm, f2.8, ISO1600
Comment Image


Who would shoot a landscape, wide-open, handheld at ISO1600?
I would. I really like your image. It's got depth and character. Something many f8-f16 sharp eight across the frame, maximum DOF, landscapes lack.


Quote:
Sometimes I think there are too many "rules" of photography....
What Rules?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
MattyH
Posted 29/03/2014 - 12:15 Link
After a couple of forum members have bought the 50-135mm this last month and seen the results I have started to think this maybe my first DA* lens I buy, anyone compared it to the Sigma 50-150mm or own/owned both.

More importantly how do they compare for handling ie size, weight and AF speed.

Apart from the 50-135mm and 300mm the rest of the range of DA* range doesn't really interest me as I have the rest covered by my cheaper lenses and as I tend to shoot 90% Jpegs I doubt I would be able to tell the difference.
weinelm
Posted 29/03/2014 - 12:41 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I would. I really like your image.
Thanks Smeg.
Panasonic GX80, Pentax MX, Mamiya 6. My Flickr
Posted 29/03/2014 - 13:35 Link
In answer to the OP's question on "if money no object" would I have all the DA* lenses? Well if I had a very large wad of money just for lenses, then the answer would be yes. I have just two (50-135 and 300) so I would spend the great wad of money for the others, as well as all the Limiteds I currently don't have, and the 1.4x converter, the 100 macro and the 560mm.
Some Cameras
cabstar
Posted 29/03/2014 - 20:53 Link
The 16-50mm controversy will rage on forever I think. Myself I thought it was a wonderful piece of glass and shot some of my best work with it too.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Mannesty
Posted 29/03/2014 - 22:49 Link
weinelm wrote:
*55, Surprised nobody wants this one!
I for got this one, I use mine mostly for gigs.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
wadna
Posted 29/03/2014 - 23:41 Link
There's been little mention of the 60-250 f4 here. How do people rate it or isn't it a lens you would consider for whatever reason you might have.

I've started thinking about it to replace my Sigma 70-300 which is disappointing. It's slow to focus & IQ, particularly at the long end, pretty ordinary. The downside to the 60-250 is the weight & the price......
Posted 30/03/2014 - 14:40 Link
wadna wrote:
There's been little mention of the 60-250 f4 here. How do people rate it or isn't it a lens you would consider for whatever reason you might have.

I've started thinking about it to replace my Sigma 70-300 which is disappointing. It's slow to focus & IQ, particularly at the long end, pretty ordinary. The downside to the 60-250 is the weight & the price......
The 60-250 is highly regarded as a lens, I nearly went for one instead of the 300mm, However I went for the 300mm for the extra reach and I already have the 55-300 for zooming. Still, one day I will get the 60-250 to replace the 55-300 for speed.
Some Cameras
Daronl
Posted 05/04/2014 - 11:14 Link
wadna wrote:
There's been little mention of the 60-250 f4 here. How do people rate it or isn't it a lens you would consider for whatever reason you might have.

I've started thinking about it to replace my Sigma 70-300 which is disappointing. It's slow to focus & IQ, particularly at the long end, pretty ordinary. The downside to the 60-250 is the weight & the price......
Daronl
gwing
Posted 05/04/2014 - 11:56 Link
Daronl wrote:
wadna wrote:
There's been little mention of the 60-250 f4 here. How do people rate it or isn't it a lens you would consider for whatever reason you might have.

I've started thinking about it to replace my Sigma 70-300 which is disappointing. It's slow to focus & IQ, particularly at the long end, pretty ordinary. The downside to the 60-250 is the weight & the price......
Indeed. If I was starting from scratch and had a reasonably unlimited budget I would instead get the 50-135, the 300 and the 1.4x converter for an integrated range of lenses at the longer end. Plus the 55-300 for a light carry around alternative.

At the moment I don't have any of those .... except the 55-300.
Edited by gwing: 05/04/2014 - 11:58

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo