DA* 60-250 F4 (Erratic SDM Issue please read) 350 plus fees & Postage

Puggy

Link Posted 03/07/2017 - 10:13
Hi There

Sadly I find myself in needing to sell my 60-250.

It was purchased second hand from SRS with a year warranty. Near the end of the warranty period it suffered a SDM failure and was was sent off for repair.

Upon return it has an erratic issue where occasionally it locks up and has to be removed from the bayonet to free the focus. This happened twice before I stopped using it and purchased another lens. I've since tried it on and off and can't replicate the issue, I think it is when the motor is heavily used it overheats? In case you're wondering, while the lens was away the warranty expired and SRS refused to take any further action.

I have obtained an estimate of 160 plus shipping from Johnsons for SDM replacement and service/clean and checked the going rate for this lens and think 350 is a fair price. If you use it for day to day stuff you may never need to send it and even if you do it it still represents a bargain.

Condition wise it is OK. Some dust as can be expected from a zoom. There are a couple of scratches on the barrel where it caught on fencing at a circuit. Tripod foot has been recently replaced. Bayonet cap is genuine, lens cap is a generic replacement.

I'm looking for 350 after fees and postage. SD should be 15. I'll accept paypal if you cover fees, bank transfer.

Obviously sold as seen, I've made full disclosure of the potential need for repair.

Photos on ebay listing link

KInd regards

Pete A
My Photos link
Me link

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 09:19
Are you selling because of the temperamental SDM?

Surprised that the lens has been returned with a fault, surely there should be a guarantee with the repair. What is the reason SRS are refusing to help?

If you are near West London I know a guy that can fix SDM lenses (Asahi Photo in Brentford).
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Puggy

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 11:14
ilovesaabs wrote:
Are you selling because of the temperamental SDM?

Surprised that the lens has been returned with a fault, surely there should be a guarantee with the repair. What is the reason SRS are refusing.

Yes. I love the focal length and IQ but not in a financial position to have a lens I can't really trust. I bought a second hand 150-450 from here and have to start paying the credit card back not spend more on repairs

The lens was away for seven weeks and in that time there warranty passed. In their defence I'm sure had it been a new lens SRS would have accepted it back again.
My Photos link
Me link

Puggy

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 11:17
For Harris

My Photos link
Me link

roberrl

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 14:10
Could you convert this to screw drive and avoid the SDM issues?

HarisF1

Link Posted 04/07/2017 - 14:54
There doesn't seem to be a screwdrive solution for this lens at the moment, but the guy behind some other SDM hacks is working on this one.

Eventually I think there will be provision to convert this lens to screwdrive.

JAK

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 18:45
At least it is built with a screw drive.
Actually sounds like a faulty capacitor rather than motor. The motor would either work or it wouldn't. Capacitors can do odd things and it has been suggested that is often the problem with the 16-50's. Is it that the lens works after it has been installed on the body for a while (i.e. after the capacitor has had a chance to recharge itself?)
The fact you can't repeat the problem suggests that once the capacitor has recharged itself all is well with the lens, which would be normal.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 05/07/2017 - 19:00

HarisF1

Link Posted 05/07/2017 - 19:00
JAK wrote:
At least it is built with a screw drive.
Actually sounds like a faulty capacitor rather than motor. The motor would either work or it wouldn't. Capacitors can do odd things and it has been suggested that is often the problem with the 16-50's.

I've opened up a few of them (if it's almost broken, make sure it breaks!) and it seems as though manually 'massaging' or rotating the motor frees up the mechanism somewhat. That suggests that the motor itself is at fault (at least for the ones I've looked at).

This one may be linked to a capacitor if reseating the lens causes it to work again.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.