DA* 200mm ED (IF), any good?


davex

Link Posted 01/09/2010 - 19:31
How good is it? any example shots?
Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

johnwhit

Link Posted 01/09/2010 - 19:57
It's not too shabby







Both shot at f/4 BTW

It's sharp wide open, but watch out for purple fringing in extreme conditions.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Last Edited by johnwhit on 01/09/2010 - 19:59

matwhittington

Link Posted 01/09/2010 - 20:30
I have just acquired one a couple of weeks ago so not yet put it through it's paces to the extent I have with some other lenses but it is looking like it will live up to the (very complimentary) reviews which can be found on the web.

Here's a shot at f4 in pretty poor early morning light a couple of weeks ago:



It is a very well put together lens - feels like a quality product. Very solid and a good weight to it, although I don't think it's excessively bulky. It has very quiet SDM focussing which is actually pretty quick (IMO) and it focusses pretty close (although not macro close). Seems very sharp and overall very similar (as you would expect) to the DA* 300, which is similarly stellar. I use the DA* 300 a lot but do sometimes find it almost gets me too close, so the 200mm lens is a good alternative to my mind. Not a cheap lens though - the cheapest I found new at the time was the London Camera Exchange website - ordered online and it arrived the next day

Hope this helps

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/09/2010 - 20:42
I have one and just went to my Flickr page to grab an example shot.
guess what .. not one picture taken with it.

Therefore I can only surmise that I never use the thing.
. My Flickr

Anvh

Link Posted 01/09/2010 - 22:25
Mike, you've too many lenses.
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Don

Link Posted 01/09/2010 - 23:11
look it up in popular photography...
they something about superb all across the board and something about the best distortion control they've seen on any lens since they adopted the testing standards they use... for ANY lens....any brand.

I'd say not too shabby...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

beginner

Link Posted 01/09/2010 - 23:15
Nearly as good as the DA300!...........SO THAT CANT BE BAD!
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!

Anvh

Link Posted 01/09/2010 - 23:25
Here is a nice review link

beginner wrote:
Nearly as good as the DA300!...........SO THAT CANT BE BAD!

He was less optimistic about the DA*300 though, maybe he had a bad day? link

Quote:
Whereas we came away feeling that the DA* 200mm f/2.8 was a superior lens for its price, size and weight, the DA* 300mm f/4 is merely a good one, all things considered.

...

While it may not be the near-perfect tool that the DA* 200mm proved to be, the 300mm variant largely lives up to the hype


Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 01/09/2010 - 23:26

Mannesty

Link Posted 02/09/2010 - 00:02
The DA* 200mm is actually an FA* 200mm lens in a DA* body. It's a full frame 35mm lens and will work with film cameras without vignetting
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 02/09/2010 - 00:38
Anvh wrote:
Here is a nice review link

beginner wrote:
Nearly as good as the DA300!...........SO THAT CANT BE BAD!

He was less optimistic about the DA*300 though, maybe he had a bad day? link

Quote:
Whereas we came away feeling that the DA* 200mm f/2.8 was a superior lens for its price, size and weight, the DA* 300mm f/4 is merely a good one, all things considered.

...

While it may not be the near-perfect tool that the DA* 200mm proved to be, the 300mm variant largely lives up to the hype


Different reviewer, but I can't help thinking they got a bad copy of the 300mm - doesn't sound like the same lens as mine. "...some visible softness across the frame at f/4..."?!? Not a chance!

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

Anvh

Link Posted 02/09/2010 - 00:45
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Different reviewer, but I can't help thinking they got a bad copy of the 300mm - doesn't sound like the same lens as mine. "...some visible softness across the frame at f/4..."?!? Not a chance!

Dan

Indeed it just sounded like the one doing the DA*300 also did the DA*200
Maybe the focus might have been slightly off with the one that they reviewed, that might explain why it's soft at f/4?
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

johnwhit

Link Posted 02/09/2010 - 07:14
Probably the most critical of reviews:

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/370-pentax-smc-da-200mm-f28-ed-if-sdm

The DA*300 is awesome BTW, never had any problems at f/4

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

davex

Link Posted 02/09/2010 - 11:59
Thanks for the info guys, am thinking about this as my wildlife lens, and maybe a 2x AF telecnvertor of i need the longer reach. Although am sure some people would be horified at that idea
I think the 300 would probably be a bit too long most of time, so have discounted that one.


Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/09/2010 - 12:32
davex wrote:
Thanks for the info guys, am thinking about this as my wildlife lens, and maybe a 2x AF telecnvertor of i need the longer reach.

As it's SDM you will have a very hard time finding a 2x AF teleconverter that will work properly.

The Pentax AF 1.7x works well with it though.

Have you thought about a Sigma 100-300mm f4 ?
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 02/09/2010 - 12:33

davex

Link Posted 02/09/2010 - 13:29
Hi Mike,

Quote:
As it's SDM you will have a very hard time finding a 2x AF teleconverter that will work properly

I though it also had a screw drive? have no experience with SDM, given it has both presumably it would "fail" to screw drive if a teleconverter was in place?

Quote:
The Pentax AF 1.7x works well with it though

It is only a matter of time before I get one, been tempted quite often this year.

Quote:
Have you thought about a Sigma 100-300mm f4

Actually I havn`t, mainly thinking about the prime because of the 2.8. Thinking this wil work better with a teleconverter.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.