D-Range setting
Posted 24/09/2011 - 09:42
Link
I can't comment on the W90, but I'm quite liking it on the K-5. One of the things that annoyed me the most on the K10D was how easy it was to overexpose sky, so I've been experimenting with D-Range on the K-5.
I'm liking it so far, although it doesn't work miracles.
What I don't know is what happens if you take a picture with D-Range on, when you didn't need it. Does it boost the shadows and cut the brights anyway, or is it clever enough to only do it if it needs to?
I'm liking it so far, although it doesn't work miracles.
Darkmunk wrote:
I noticed that with highlights and shadows ticked, it takes an image with very slightly less contrast and the incandescent clouds were slightly grey instead of burnt out. I'm thinking this will be a good setting for me as I can boost the contrast on the computer, but the images will lack pop straight out of the camera. Is this correct? or will I end up loosing definition at the extreme ends?
This is certainly how it seems to me. Losing a little of the extremes would be a small price to pay for not ruining all those shots.I noticed that with highlights and shadows ticked, it takes an image with very slightly less contrast and the incandescent clouds were slightly grey instead of burnt out. I'm thinking this will be a good setting for me as I can boost the contrast on the computer, but the images will lack pop straight out of the camera. Is this correct? or will I end up loosing definition at the extreme ends?
What I don't know is what happens if you take a picture with D-Range on, when you didn't need it. Does it boost the shadows and cut the brights anyway, or is it clever enough to only do it if it needs to?
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 24/09/2011 - 09:50
Link
Quote:
What I don't know is what happens if you take a picture with D-Range on, when you didn't need it. Does it boost the shadows and cut the brights anyway, or is it clever enough to only do it if it needs to?
LOL, damn I hadn't considered that What I don't know is what happens if you take a picture with D-Range on, when you didn't need it. Does it boost the shadows and cut the brights anyway, or is it clever enough to only do it if it needs to?
I recently did a commercial photoshoot in a lab with white coats, remote flashes, everything on manual. Trouble is I forgot to turn Raw capture back on and a lot of white coats were clipped. Maybe this D-setting would have saved me.
Thanks Chris
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1753 posts
18 years
Plymouth,
UK
So I'm taking my daughter's W90.
Has anyone got any experience of the D-range setting? is it a 'real' improvement in dynamic range or just a digital effect?
I noticed that with highlights and shadows ticked, it takes an image with very slightly less contrast and the incandescent clouds were slightly grey instead of burnt out. I'm thinking this will be a good setting for me as I can boost the contrast on the computer, but the images will lack pop straight out of the camera. Is this correct? or will I end up loosing definition at the extreme ends?
Plymouth Photographer