D-FA 15-30 focus direction

Kim C

Link Posted 02/12/2018 - 16:00
DoctorJeff wrote:
I have to agree with KimC
The question of focus direction has been going on for years, and I certainly remember it being a topic back in the '70s.
Geoff

Indeed, One of the "marketing features" of Sigma was that they introduced the "Synchro II" range of lens. The focus direction was matched to the mount. At the time most of the others, Vivitar, Tokina, Tamron followed the Canon/ Minolta way. If Sigma could do it way back then. I have no doubt Tamron could have done it on the 15-30 had Ricoh asked for it/thought about it. But then again it is a lens based on one designed for Canon.

Algernon

Link Posted 02/12/2018 - 17:28
The NEW Tokina(Pentax) 50mm f/1.4 rotates one way for Nikon and the other way for Canon

Some excellent old lenses had the aperture scale the other way as well such as this 100mm f/2.8 beauty (I've got it with Derek Gardner branding).....

http://forum.mflenses.com/chinonflex-100mm-f-2-8-in-m42-mount-t18348.html

The distance is the right way round. Aperture wrong way, but some had both

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Kim C

Link Posted 02/12/2018 - 17:56
Algernon wrote:
The NEW Tokina(Pentax) 50mm f/1.4 rotates one way for Nikon and the other way for Canon

--

Well it is easy to do. If Ricoh-Pentax can't be bothered then I will just stop buying their lenses.

JAK

Link Posted 02/12/2018 - 19:15
Kim, see you've put it on fleabay. Why not return it for a refund?
Under the 'Consumer Contracts Regulations' when you buy goods online you have additional rights to return them because what you receive isn't always quite what you’d expected.
Under those regulations, you are allowed to return an item if you simply change your mind.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought...
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 02/12/2018 - 19:16

Kim C

Link Posted 02/12/2018 - 21:13
JAK wrote:
Kim, see you've put it on fleabay. Why not return it for a refund?
Under the 'Consumer Contracts Regulations' when you buy goods online you have additional rights to return them because what you receive isn't always quite what you’d expected.
Under those regulations, you are allowed to return an item if you simply change your mind.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought...

I am fully aware of that John.

Maybe, I'm old fashioned but I don't feel "right" about that. As I said in an earlier post, had it been from Amazon or a "box shifter" I would have done. However, Chris has always done "right" by the members of this forum and I do not feel it right the take advantage of that when it was caused by me. I find it annoying that such a thing is not mentioned in the "key points" of a review but only buried in the small print. However, that is not the fault of SRS.

Kim C

Link Posted 03/12/2018 - 14:25
HarisF1 wrote:
Yep it's due to the base lens being made by Tamron. I noticed that the switching between the focus and zoom rings in newer designs has caused me a bit of annoyance in recent times too.

The switching of the zoom/focus rings is not a recent thing. Previous "Tamron" offerings by Pentax have been that way. Both the 28-200 FA and the 28-105 had the rings reversed so for Tamron it goes back to film days. But at least both of those focus in the right direction.

Algernon

Link Posted 03/12/2018 - 16:01
With a zoom lens it's probably different due to the position of the focussing group and the zoom group.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.