Crop at the begining or the end ?
Posted 14/01/2014 - 03:18
Link
Depends. Seems no difference at most of time.
Posted 14/01/2014 - 13:00
Link
Wow thanks everyone. I use photoshop 7 and as someone has already said for wildlife getting close enough not needing to crop is not always possible.I. took some pics of a Bullfinch and did all the necessary edits and then cropped last, and when I looked at the final image ,the lighting looked wrong.Think I will try to crop first.I have been doing all the other edits in the order they are in the program ie top to bottom and sharpening last
Thanks again everyone
Graham
Thanks again everyone
Graham
Posted 14/01/2014 - 13:40
Link
I crop first so I can focus on the image I want without distraction. Post-processing on the cropped image can also be slightly different to the techniques you would use on the entire image, so cropping as a first step makes it easier to decide on the approach that best suits the final image. As in most things, though, I suspect it's down to personal preference. Like others, I sharpen as a last step.
Posted 14/01/2014 - 14:22
Link
I'm another who would usually crop early on, just after any rotation if that's needed.
Leaving the cropping till the end can meen I end up wasting time removing dust specks etc on parts of theimage that are just going to be dumped.
There have been a few occations when I've tried multiple crops, and with those its best to get the rest done first. (Wouldn't be an issue if I had lightroom).
Leaving the cropping till the end can meen I end up wasting time removing dust specks etc on parts of theimage that are just going to be dumped.
There have been a few occations when I've tried multiple crops, and with those its best to get the rest done first. (Wouldn't be an issue if I had lightroom).
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7671 posts
17 years
Smegland
(I'm told it's better to leave any sharpening till the very end).
However in programs like Lightroom which are non destructive, then it makes no difference as all processing is always applied the same order no matter which order you make your edits. Everything is updated after very edit.
In terms of processing speed and workflow time however it is better to leave sharpening and Noise reduction switched off until your last edit in Lightroom as they are both processor intensive and slow workflow down.
As for cropping I usually crop early on.
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283