cotswoldphoto

tyronet2000
Posted 28/01/2014 - 13:45 Link
Anyone used this company and anyone used OJECOCO flash triggers from them?
Any info appreciated
Regards
Stan

PPG
Algernon
Posted 28/01/2014 - 14:51 Link
It's not Old Joe Coco is it?

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 28/01/2014 - 14:52
mcpieman
Posted 28/01/2014 - 16:37 Link
I used them to buy flash triggers can't remember the brand, I can check later. Cotswold were fine to deal with quick delivery, items well packed and worked fine. The only problem I have is that occasionally at shutter speeds of 1/180 there is I sometimes get partial black shutter curtain on images. I seem to remember the triggers to be rated at 1/250. Never had a problem using 1/125, I'm no stobist expert so this may not be an issue with my triggers.
tyronet2000
Posted 28/01/2014 - 16:44 Link
mcpieman wrote:
I used them to buy flash triggers can't remember the brand, I can check later. Cotswold were fine to deal with quick delivery, items well packed and worked fine. The only problem I have is that occasionally at shutter speeds of 1/180 there is I sometimes get partial black shutter curtain on images. I seem to remember the triggers to be rated at 1/250. Never had a problem using 1/125, I'm no stobist expert so this may not be an issue with my triggers.
Thanks for that. Would appreciate if you could tell me which triggers you got, were they for nikon or canon, and which flashguns you used.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Algernon
Posted 28/01/2014 - 17:40 Link
The black band at the bottom is quite common with a lot of
flash triggers. Just use 1/100th or 1/125th sec. to catch
the full frame.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
gartmore
Posted 28/01/2014 - 19:35 Link
I found the same problem with a set of budget ones, not a problem at all if you are aware of it. They arent usually brand oriented and just use the centre pin.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
mcpieman
Posted 29/01/2014 - 10:14 - Helpful Comment Link
Quote:
Thanks for that. Would appreciate if you could tell me which triggers you got, were they for nikon or canon, and which flashguns you used.
I checked last night an mine are Yongnuo RF-602's, like Ken says I think they'll work with any brand despite being advertised as Nikon or Canon, they may be able to transmit exposure to Canikon, but if you use your flashes on manual the triggers should still fire them. I use mine with the Pentax AF360FGZ (in manual mode) and a Yongnuo 560 (is manual mode only), both work great with the triggers as long as you use shutter speeds of 1/125 or less.
tyronet2000
Posted 29/01/2014 - 12:40 Link
Thanks for the info Steven. I have the Yongnuo Tx & Rx but couldn't get them to work with Pentax AF160 (M), AF360FGZ or 400FTZ but that could be down to me I could trigger the camera with the Rx plugged in so there is a signal. At the moment a friend has them to try out with his Nikon so hope to get the results from him tomorrow night. Must check the settings on the flash and try again
Regards
Stan

PPG
mcpieman
Posted 29/01/2014 - 13:21 Link
Quote:
Thanks for the info Steven. I have the Yongnuo Tx & Rx but couldn't get them to work with Pentax AF160 (M), AF360FGZ or 400FTZ but that could be down to me I could trigger the camera with the Rx plugged in so there is a signal. At the moment a friend has them to try out with his Nikon so hope to get the results from him tomorrow night. Must check the settings on the flash and try again
Were all the channels set to the same on the rx and tx's? I've got them mismatched before now and they fail to fire
Algernon
Posted 29/01/2014 - 13:28 Link
I've got some Yongnuo RF-602's. They aren't compatible with RF-603's which was very poor on Yongnuo's part. The main thing to watch is that transmitter and receiver are both on the same channel. Also make sure the batteries are good.

The receiver should light up red when switched on and the transmitter shows red/green when pressed.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
tyronet2000
Posted 29/01/2014 - 14:01 Link
Yes they were on the same channel, 1 tx 1 rx or 2 - 2 etc and the lights went red then green on both, had brand new duracell batteries installed and a brand new CR2 in the tx. I thought the AF160 would fire, set to M which I assume is manual, it's only got two pins, a center and other pin. I have a pair of Phottix Strato (Canon) which work just fine but an additional Rx is £47 (Strato II)and not sure if it would be compatible with the Tx.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Edited by tyronet2000: 29/01/2014 - 14:02
Algernon
Posted 29/01/2014 - 14:26 Link
Just tried mine on an AF280T. The flash fires on the red light from the Tx.

I works OK with the flash set at TTL AUTO - AUTO - OR M.

Neither unit is on a camera.

When supplied these are set to Ch 0 which is all dipswitches OFF. They work OK like that. You only need to change channels if your using 2 sets or someone else is using Chan 0..

The Rx should stick out towards the lens on the camera, but most flashguns won't go on facing the other way.

The only other thing you could try is if the Tx will trigger the camera, but you need the lead with a small jackplug off the Rx which just hangs off it (i.e.not on the hotshoe).

I've got 2 sets one to fire the camera and the other to fire the flashes, but I mostly use a Wein IR system and a normal Pentax IR release which syncs OK at 1/180th.

EDIT: There seems to be quite a bit of info in this thread about mods to get 1/180th and pins not lining up. There's also quite a bit on Talk Photography.

The Rx also takes a lead that will attach to a studio flash.
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 29/01/2014 - 14:46
kain
Posted 05/02/2014 - 11:20 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
Anyone used this company and anyone used OJECOCO flash triggers from them?
Any info appreciated
I use the H-430TX/RX with my K20D and several flashes. They are good build quality and working as expected.
Flash is flashing and the two step remote shutter release focusses and releases.

I've got the nikon version with canon (C1) cable.

And I like the AAA batteries.
Algernon
Posted 05/02/2014 - 12:26 Link
It seems Cotswold were involved in the development of these...

https://www.flickr.com/groups/h550/discuss/

Look like bargains as long as available. Now taken over
by Commlite and may be dearer especially from Amazon.

Commlite were the manufacturer. Ojecoco designed,
engineered and marketed them.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 05/02/2014 - 12:30
tyronet2000
Posted 05/02/2014 - 16:42 Link
Contacted Cotswold this morning (Mrs Snap phoned on my behalf) They didn't think the triggers as per their Ebay offerings would work with Pentax.

Think I'll just give up on the idea now until I get my next camera which will be a ?
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo