Corn Flower Field

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 14:31
These images are of a corn flower field that is on a farm at the edge of our village. The land is owned by Legal and General and they have called time on the farmer who's farm the land sits on. Next to the village and the farm is Cardiff airport. This is a failing airport, mainly due to the cost the airport charge for operators to land there and as a result, has been bailed out several times by the Welsh government to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds. Planning has been put in and Legal and General want to evict the farmer off the land and to sell the land to the Welsh government, then flatten it and tarmac over the whole site. We're talking a space probably a mile long, maybe more and a good half mile wide. It's home to many wild animals and one field, when ploughed and it rains, can bring up to 30 buzzards there which is a sight to see when they're all in the field together. An ancient woodland sits in the middle of the land also and plans saw it gone, then they went through it, then...who knows. We the residents have objected to this travesty and every time the local authority amend the planning, resubmit and we restart with objections all over again, I think the plan is for them to keep going until people lose interest and the objections become less and less.

So I was very grateful when the farmer, Rhys, let me onto the land to photograph them, a sight we'll soon lose. He also has a field of poppies coming up I can also shoot as well. I've listed these for sale on my website with half the profits going to him and his family and hopefully I can shoot him at work in a more documentary style for future generations to see what we had, and what we lost.

All Pentax K1. The day time shots with the more painterly look and limited DOF are with the DA* 60-250mm wide open and the sunsets either with the D FA 24-70mm or Irix 15mm. A 3 stop ND grad from Formatt Hitech was used to control the sky and balance exposure but I also shot2 images were foreground and sky and blended in Photoshop.

Corn Flower Field by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

johnriley

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 15:13
Given the choice between what you've photographed and tarmac, I'll take the scene you've photographed any day. Some things are worth fighting for.
Best regards, John

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 16:27
Glorious cornflowers. I particuarly like the first few, with a few in-focus flowers emerging from a soft cloud of blue.

Have you considered entering one of the cornflower field shots for this year's Countryfile Calendar?

Steve

Helpful

danofmk

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 16:30
6 and 7 are stunners and 2 my pick of the others

Keep up the hard work with the objections, and thanks for sharing the story.

Helpful

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 17:28
What is being considered is obscene, no other word for it.

As JohnRiley has written, 'Some things are worth fighting for.' As my hero in 'Galaxy Quest' (played Jason Nesmith, - aka Tim Allen - who played Commander Peter Quincy Taggart) says, 'never give up, never surrender.'

Seriously, don't. It's about folk knowing the cost of everything and the value of bugger all. They need to be stopped.

As for the images, I can't decide, I think they're all fabulous. I love them all. Brilliant job, Gareth. Kudos.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 17/06/2021 - 17:37

Helpful

takuman

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 20:13
So very sad, a beautiful place. When it's gone, it's gone. Generations have farmed it, vandalism on a huge scale. You cannot make more land. Very annoyed to read this. (ex farming family)

Just passing thru

Helpful

jvs

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 20:22
A wonderful set, Gareth, with 6 and 7 being the pick for me.
Maybe if your local people see these, they may see what's going to be lost if everyone gives up the fight!
John

Helpful

K10D

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 20:28
Great work Gareth. The impending dystopian future for this location is one among many many more across the UK.

Best regards

Helpful

pschlute

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 20:42
No 6 Gareth.... splendid.
Peter

My Flickr page

Helpful

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/06/2021 - 21:58
pschlute wrote:
No 6 Gareth.... splendid.

Quite agree
LennyBloke

Helpful

davidwozhere

Link Posted 18/06/2021 - 00:50
My entire childhood is buried under an industrial estate and a landfill site together with the wildlife that few kids today will ever see. Consequently, they don't care either because no-one has ever taught them to. Your pictures will be all that remains one day so keep taking them. Is the local press interested?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Helpful

MikeInDevon

Link Posted 18/06/2021 - 15:43
The picture's wow, wow, wow ... absolutely wonderful.

As for the developers and L&G such short sightedness I despair! We have developments in the planning stage close to us, a small village in Devon, and the housing etc. will go on prime farming land, of course people object but seems it's only the money that counts, meanwhile the beauty of Devon gets obliterated and can never be replaced.

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 18/06/2021 - 16:55
Thanks everyone. They're gaining traction on social media with all the local and surrounding groups with more and more signing to object.

One thing was Legal and General had to sign some of the land at the rear of the site to the local authority as it borders a county park before they consider changing the land from agricultural to industrial. Rumour has it that's now taken place so you wouldn't do that if you didn't know the change of land ownership was going to happen.

111 acres of pasture land going.

The airport is a joke. The Welsh government are desperate to make it work. They bought it for 52 million and its currently valued at 15 million. In total with grants and debts written off, the tax payer has bailed it out to the tune of 115 million pounds.

More importantly, the land the farm sits on is green belt land. Down the road, 5 minutes or less is a huge brown belt area. All tarmac and empty, ready to be used!

Sense?!

Anyway, thanks for the replies
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Sry

Link Posted 19/06/2021 - 22:07
Lubbyman wrote:
I particuarly like the first few, with a few in-focus flowers emerging from a soft cloud of blue.

I'm with Steve.

RobL

Link Posted 20/06/2021 - 16:53
It angers me when governments and companies pay lip service to zero carbon targets and conservation but push on regardless with dinosaur transport projects - we have the HS2 travesty nearby. Check out the Legal and General Sustainability and Inclusive Capitalism Report and see how tarmacing over this land for high carbon aviation compares (clue: it doesn’t). Can I suggest the local or national Welsh press would love to run a feature on this with your excellent photos and join forces with a non-political conservation group like the Campaign for the Protection of Rural Wales. Maximum embarrassment and negative publicity for L&G might have more results than a government justifying everything with economic arguments. Beware though, they will probably push for “sustainable” housing instead. Your photos could make more difference than thousands of words.
Last Edited by RobL on 20/06/2021 - 16:55
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.