converting raw files

thoramay

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 18:21
Since using adobe 6 to convert raw files I am getting files designated 'iff' file. Cannot recall this happening before.
Maybe it did. I am confused. What is an 'iff' file. should I save as this?
Also, when saving as a 'tiff' file as recommended, I am not left with a picture saved, rather a coloured lines file.
So! What am I doing wrong. I usually save to JPeg.

regards

steven9761

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 18:56
IFF is Interchange File Format. I think it is used mainly by film production companies. Why, I don't know! I would imagine that somewhere in your settings you are able to change this to whatever other format you prefer by using the SAVE AS commandline.

McGregNi

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 19:10
If you are only 'converting' the RAW files from a camera proprietory type into DNG (a good idea I think), then I would suggest you download the latest version of the free Adobe DNG Converter. The DNGs will be good for archiving

If you are processing the files into images (like TIFF) then you may be better to update your software - maybe having the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW plugin will help?

Otherwise, why not try your camera? My K7 carries out RAW conversions using the in camera processing controls and outputs to 16bit TIFF - quality is great! You can control the following parameters to make your shots sparkle :

custom image preset - white balance (plus fine control) - exposure -High / Low key contrast - sharpness with 3 levels of 'fineness' layers - saturation - master contrast - hue - noise reduction - distortion & CA corrections (with a DA lens) - cropping - rotating. Who needs a computer??
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

thoramay

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 20:41
Thanks for your responses.
Having just spent on adobe 6, I had expected to be better served.
My interest is in producing pictures for Camera club comps, mainly shooting RAW and then converting them to JPeg mainly for projection.
It has been straightforward in Adobe 5. Now using the RAW converter in six and the saving to JPeg.
I have been told to save to TIFF but this does not leave me with a picture to view. just some coloured square.
As you can deduce. I am not very up with computers.
How will I access the Adobe camera RAW plugin? How different will this be than the Adobe 6 RAW programme, please
regards

grahamwalton

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 20:56
What is Adobe 6 ?
Photoshop 6
Photoshop Elements 6
Photoshop CS6
Adobe Camera Raw 6

It would help if we knew which one.
Friendly Regards
Graham

McGregNi

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 21:11
thoramay wrote:
Thanks for your responses......
I am not very up with computers.
How will I access the Adobe camera RAW plugin? How different will this be than the Adobe 6 RAW programme, please regards

The Adobe photo editing products (Photoshop, Photoshop Elements & Lightroom) all use an 'add-on' piece of software in order to carry out the adjustments & conversion from RAW format into an 'image-type' file (such as TIFF / JPEG). This add on is known as a 'plug-in', because it is placed within an internal folder of the program on your computer, and it runs automatically when you open any RAW file. (Lightroom works differently in that the ACR plugin functions are integrated, but I don't think you've got Lightroom, right??)

Your program will have come with the version of ACR that was current at the time your program was packaged for sale -and if your particular program has been superceeded then the ACR plugin is also out of date.

You get the latest one from the Adobe website for free, you just have to follow the instructions for your specific program to put it into the correct folder. This may solve your problems, but it is hard to see what is going wrong exactly here. Its worth a shot though to get the latest ACR anyway.

If you're not too into computers, what camera have you got ? You might very well enjoy my suggestion of 'in-camera' RAW conversion, which offers quite a good range of adjustments and control over your shot, and you're still outputting a 16bit TIFF, which is what you want.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 04/01/2013 - 21:13

redbusa99

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 22:13
if you select a raw file right click and choose "open with" then select your version of adobe that should be in the list, the first page the file opens in is adobe camera raw ,it will be the relevant one to your software, you should not need to update. this assumes your raw files are DNG,again you can check this by right click on the file go to the bottom of the list and select properties, then select details and scroll slowly down through that and you will find the file type under the file heading. i imagine they are as you have been converting with adobe already. i had a similar problem with an unknown file type appearing along side the jpeg when i did work on photo,s sent to me but i just deleted them and suffered no untoward consequences.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

thoramay

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 22:31
Apologies. It is called old age(80th this year). You think you are making it clear but you are spreading confusion.
My camera is a K5. The programme is Adobe photoshop 6, just purchased, so guess the ACR is current.
My interest is macro, using the 100mm macro 2.8. I also have a cabinet of some thirty Pentax lens, new and old from film days.
I use RAW DNG to process initially, then open up and crop and further adjustments, then save as to JPeg.
I get flustered when something new appears that I do not understand. Yes! I can save to Jpeg but this 'iff' programme has suddenly appeared and I do not understand where it came from and what it means.
I also do not understand when I save as a TIFF why the 'save as' does not result in a picture but a sqaure of coloured lines.
The photos are mostly projected images in our photo club at 72ppi. I am mostly up there with the best in the camera club, so doing alright.
It is just this not knowing and turning to the Forum for answers.

regards.

johnriley

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 22:49
To be honest, I think that as you are producing images for projection, perhaps 1400 x 1050 pixels at 72ppi, then you could save a lot of heartache by shooting in JPEG from the start.

Being an established photographer you won't have any problem getting the exposure right and so if you don't do overmuch manipulation then there will be a camera JPEG setting that will suit.
Best regards, John

steven9761

Link Posted 04/01/2013 - 23:16
Are you getting these coloured lines prior to working in Photoshop, or are you seeing them when you convert the files through Photoshop?

If it's the former, I suspect that either:

A) your card has not been formatted to run in your K5. You have used some other device to format the card, or;

B) the sd card may have been corrupted somehow - possibly you are storing your spare cards in a plastic bag (or similar), and a static charge has built up on the bag, then discharged to the card either through the metal contacts, or via the sd card's plastic shell. Most cards have a static-resistant shell, however some cheap cards (copies) from China will use the cheapest plastics available that are not static-resistant.

If it's the latter, maybe a few other members recognise these symptoms.

thoramay

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 09:24
John. I avoided including processing pics for print comps for brevity. Shooting in RAW is prefered.

You get familiar with a process and then something new emerges. I am left wondering if it is something I have inadvertantly done or something new to be learned. The default when 'saving as' is this IFF file. Previously when choosing JPeg this stayed as the default through the session. Not anymore, hence my confusion.

I am somewhat isolated from having friends who can advise and so I need help from this Forum. I guess that my questions can appear trivial.

Steven. This colour square results when 'saving as' and then choosing TIFF in preference to JPeg. I was told I ought to save in TIFF, something about lossless, not that I understand this. Just wondering, really. Saving in JPeg does most of what I need, So, Thanks for your input

regards.

redbusa99

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 13:28
think i have the answer, the iff file selection is just above the jpeg selection on the dropdown list when you select save as, i think you probably selected it by accident.i believe if you save a file as whatever in your case "iff" that is the selection that comes up every time until you select a different one, so if you open a file in ps, does not matter what it is, select save as and make sure you select jpeg and save it, i believe it will now save as jpeg each time you use it until something else is selected, been there done that.
also windows will not view tiff files that is why you had a square full of random colours it happened with me when i tried it, windows viewer in 7 at least.

Flickr
Last Edited by redbusa99 on 05/01/2013 - 13:31

thoramay

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 13:46
All this confusion has happened since using Adobe Photoshop 6. I was happy with the Photoshop 5. Beginning to wish I had not upgraded.

in 5 version, you are right in that once you select JPeg, all subsequent saved go to JPeg. Unless I am seeing it wrong, the default changes back to IFF in 6. Perhaps it is just me. It frequently is!!

regards

redbusa99

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 14:21
have you tried the help option and try searching default saved file type or something along those lines

Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.