Confused over lens type

GBR

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 15:12
Hello Everyone,
Not sure if this is the correct section in which to post this, just didn't want to post in one of the professional sections.
Once again I start by sending an apology for a couple of questions I would like to ask that are probably very basic to most on the forum.
Following suggestions on this forum that I might try different lens, I have been searching the net for suitable items.
I was looking at the 18-135wr and 55-300wr and immediately got confused by the technical terms.
Lot's of dealers to sell these lens, but Iím not sure if they are all the same product for they seem to be always listed differently.
For example: Some dealers show the 18-135 mm WR as AF18-135wr
Others refer to it as DA 18-135wr
Others refer to it as SMC 18-135wr
Other refer to it as EDAL 18 Ė 135wr.
The photos of these lens in the adverts all look similar but donít know why they are referred to differently.
I also notice that when referring to the DA18-135wr the prices vary drastically. From dealers such as WEX and SRS the retail price new is £379.00 whereas from a company called Microglobe you can pick up the same lens new for just £114.00. Surely there has to be something wrong here.
Well I hope you donít mind these questions, as I have said before, although learning slowly I am still baffled by most of the technology used.
Thank You for your understanding.

GBR

LennyBloke

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 15:37
I'm sure you get a fuller explanation shortly, but as far as I'm aware Pentax only produce one 18-135 lens, and most of the descriptions you list are applicable. There are lots of very slightly different descriptions, and in this case it doesn't matter - but for some lenses there are different versions.

The lens you have mentioned at MicroGlobe is the 18-55 not the 18-135 - that would explain the large price discrepancy (a much shorter zoom range).

WR denotes a "Weather Resistant" lens

DA denotes a lens optimised for Digital and the APS-C series of camera (i.e. not fully suitable for the Full Frame model).

SMC denotes the lens coating that Pentax is known for "Super Multi-Coating" (but I'm not sure it's actually used on this lens).

Here is the review section for this lens over at PentaxForums..
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-18-135mm-F3.5-5.6-ED-AL-IF...

Hope that helps a bit
LennyBloke

stu62

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 21:06
if i remeber right microglobe is the grey import job as well

GBR

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 23:44
Thank you gentlemen, I will give that company a big miss!
Thanks for the info on the lens, very useful indeed.
Thanks again for taking time out to write and answer such a basic question.

GBR

AndrewA

Link Posted 10/08/2016 - 09:15
GBR wrote:
Thank you gentlemen, I will give that company a big miss!
Thanks for the info on the lens, very useful indeed.
Thanks again for taking time out to write and answer such a basic question.

GBR

No such thing as a basic question GBR! Glad you have your answer.

Just wanted to say that if you are looking for a 18-135 I can highly recommend it, don't believe some of the 3rd party reviews of it as it is a really great lens and perfect for so many things.

I picked mine up from a member on the forum who was selling it in the classifieds section, that is a good place to look.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/08/2016 - 09:26
It's quite a minefield for everyone, so quite a common question. One thing to add .... Those lenses that are made in different versions are often distinguished between with the 'L' designation. This means a more budget version, with plastic mount ring and without the 'quickshift' focus adjuster. Optics are the same I think ...

So for example, you would see a DA 18-55 and a DAL 18-55. If affordable then the non-L ones are more desirable.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 10/08/2016 - 22:57
nothing wrong with Microglobe - I've bought gear off them with no issues. They have a high street presence (a few 100 yards from the British Museum) and are not virtual...

Most recent lenses of the AF era (some F-lenses excepted and the more recent 'HD' lenses are SMC.

AFAIR - for the 18-55 there are four variants

SMC-DA 18-55 from 2004-5
SMC-DA 18-55 Mk.2 - arrived with K20D in 2008 ish - new and better optical formula
SMC-DA-L 18-55 same optics as Mk2 IIRC but no quickshift or lens hood - came for budget models
SMC-DA 18-55 WR with the K-7/K-5 more recently

I'd say steer clear of the non MkII/-L/WR version and you'll be fine... 18-135 is a different prospect.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

GBR

Link Posted 11/08/2016 - 10:01
Thanks everyone, as always indebted to everyone who commented.
As I wrote a while ago, I'm a brand new Pentax owner and complete novice so still floundering quite a bit.
Disappointed with the limitation of the bundled lens 18-55 and looking for something with more variance.
Toss up at the moment between the 18-135wr and 55 - 300wr with the former the favourite at the moment. Both seem really good lenses and your comments would seem to endorse this fact. But to start with I think I would prefer to keep one lens on and not worry about continually changing.
I was going to but new but didn't know there was a classified section on this site so might just wait a few weeks to see if anything comes up.
Really impressed with this forum, where the professionals photographers are quite to talk with and pass on their experience to novices like myself. Thank you.
GBR.

stu62

Link Posted 11/08/2016 - 11:09
The 55/300 is a super lens and if I was you I would by new
Just keep your eye on SRS as they do have some good deals
And if you can get to the shop even better as you never know what you will find in the alladins cave

GBR

Link Posted 12/08/2016 - 11:36
Thanks again,

Firstly, I might be wrong but did they recently release a new 55/300 wr lens to replace the old one?
With this fantastic reach are you always going to need the use of a tripod to obtain a steady shot, looking at some of the pictures of the lens it looks like it extends to the extent of being top heavy, and as I have said I would like a walk about lens to use on the K50.
Mind you I have viewed some of the shots made with this lens and they look great.
Will take you advice and buy new, for the extra £100 it's not really worth taking the chance.
Thanks
GBR.

JAK

Link Posted 12/08/2016 - 13:00
GBR wrote:
With this fantastic reach are you always going to need the use of a tripod to obtain a steady shot

You say that and in theory you're right. However Pentax's inbody shake reduction does allow surprisingly sharp hand held shots from a 300mm lens. Just keeping the minimum exposure at or shorter than 1/250 sec and you should be fine. Even longer exposures still maybe fine as shake reduction is supposed to give you several stops extra compared to not having it. The camera instruction books say to turn off shake reduction when using a tripod.
Often better than a tripod is a bean bag or similar as many smaller tripods still shake in the wind or pick up mirror bounce. Another option is a monopod if it helps.
Chasing wildlife with a telephoto lens and large tripod attached to the camera isn't always the most practical option. Don't forget that digital cameras can use a much higher ISO than was practical on film cameras as it can be upped on a one off basis (rather than having a film full of 36 to get through) which can help in poor light when previously a tripod would have been necessary.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 12/08/2016 - 13:11

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/08/2016 - 15:38
I'd think that all of the newer Pentax DSLRs , going back to the K5 of 2010, can easily be used at ISO 1600, with good quality results. 3200 also is acceptable for many types of shots.

If we might have traditionally used ISO 400 film before, as our ' faster' dull light option, that might have given a shutter speed of, say, 1/125thsec .... That might have been a little shaky for some..... Now, take the same shot on a Pentax DSLR at ISO 1600, with the corresponding shutter speed of 1/400thsec, and that combined with the shake reduction will likely result in razor sharp captures.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

stu62

Link Posted 12/08/2016 - 17:09
GBR wrote:
Thanks again,

Firstly, I might be wrong but did they recently release a new 55/300 wr lens to replace the old one?
With this fantastic reach are you always going to need the use of a tripod to obtain a steady shot, looking at some of the pictures of the lens it looks like it extends to the extent of being top heavy, and as I have said I would like a walk about lens to use on the K50.
Mind you I have viewed some of the shots made with this lens and they look great.
Will take you advice and buy new, for the extra £100 it's not really worth taking the chance.
Thanks
GBR.

The one that you are thinking of as a update is the hd which is basically aimed at the ff camera the one you require is still going strong can't see them stop making it with all the cropped frames that are about

RobL

Link Posted 12/08/2016 - 18:19
stu62 wrote:
GBR wrote:
Thanks again,

Thanks
GBR.

The one that you are thinking of as a update is the hd which is basically aimed at the ff camera the one you require is still going strong can't see them stop making it with all the cropped frames that are about

I don't think the new 55-300 lens is FF, it's designed to accompany the K70 and needs one of the latest bodies like K-1 & K70 to operate the electronic aperture.

johnriley

Link Posted 12/08/2016 - 22:42
There are three 55-300mm lenses now, all APS-C format.

SMC version is the original, HD version is WR and has updated coatings, the new one is retractable and has an electronic aperture control that is KAF4 mount. This needs the K-70 or a very recent body that has updated firmware. K-1 and K-3 II and I think K-S2 are usable.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.