Confirmed specifications for the K-5

jackitec

Link Posted 14/09/2010 - 21:59
Just Received link
Enjoy.

david1

Link Posted 14/09/2010 - 22:47
The price of the K5 body only is $1399, so what does that equate to in the good old British pound currency? I'm tempted to just wait until January to see if the price drops a little then go to my local Pentax deal shop in Seaford and trade my K7 body for the K5 as I did back this January with the K10.

I just really hope Pentax actually start to properly market the K5. All this Summer during the football world cup I've seen adverts for the Canon EOS 7D and numerous Nikon & Sony products so let's just for once hope the Pentax marketing/commercial dept. pull their fingers out their backsides and start properly advertising this product. Afterall how can they expect to compete with the canikons if they don't openly advertise their products on the tv and in magazines etc. I won't hold my breath though.
K5mk.IIs with 17-70mm DA and Sigma 70-300mm DA lenses. Before digital I used the P30T when using Fujichrome Velvia.

bforbes

Link Posted 14/09/2010 - 22:51
Does anybody know what this means "Highly-improved SAFOX IX+ autofocus system"
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

piotro

Link Posted 14/09/2010 - 23:06
bforbes wrote:
Does anybody know what this means "Highly-improved SAFOX IX+ autofocus system"

I think I know what that may mean - that all slowly focusing SDM lenses will stay slow , although may hunt less.
--
http://piotr.zenfolio.com

jackitec

Link Posted 14/09/2010 - 23:28
david1 wrote:
The price of the K5 body only is $1399, so what does that equate to in the good old British pound currency?

1,399.00 USD = 900.536 GBP + import duty + 20% VAT in January.

Jack
Edit, I would say about 1299 good old British Pounds,
Last Edited by jackitec on 14/09/2010 - 23:31

Hardgravity

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 08:30
According to the links the K5 is going to replace the K7.

I thought it was to be the new flagship, the K7 being retained as the second of a line of 4 bodies (K5, K7, K-r, K-x)?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

GDwoohoo

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 08:42
I was told by SRS when I bought my K7 a few weeks ago the K7 was not being replaced. The K5 would sit above the K7 in the range.

bforbes

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 08:42
It looks as if they don't have capacity to build four models at the same time.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

flossie

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 08:56
david1 wrote:
I'm tempted to just wait until January to see if the price drops a little then go to my local Pentax deal shop in Seaford and trade my K7 body for the K5 as I did back this January with the K10.

Trouble is - VAT going up by 2.5% in January may cancel-out any post-xmas price cuts.

Even more confusingly from my point of view, at that point it will actually cost me less to buy a camera that costs 2000-2400 than one that costs 1666-2000 (fixed-rate VAT rules...), which with projected prices of the K5 kits means that a 5DmkIII/D800 would be a serious alternative for only a little more...grrr
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Last Edited by flossie on 15/09/2010 - 08:57

bforbes

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 09:00
Can you explain - (fixed-rate VAT rules...),
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

flossie

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 09:25
bforbes wrote:

oh, its a complicated quirk of my business's VAT registration (special rules you can choose if you have a turnover under 150k) - basically, I can't reclaim the VAT on anything I buy...unless it costs more than 2000 (ex-vat). When VAT goes up to 20% its going to be increasingly significant.

Gwyn

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 09:26
There is really nothing new in that link to the earlier speculation on this forum.

I still don't think it will go on show at Photokina on 22nd September - that is day two of the show being open to the public, and 2 days after the press day.

If it does go on show for the first time on the 22nd I guess the Pentax stand will be crowded when I am there.

There is of course nothing to stop you buying your K5 in Europe if the VAT rate is better somewhere else. The EU are tightening up the guarantee rules regarding cross border purchases so that it applies no matter which country you are in or have bought from.

bforbes

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 09:28
Thanks, so it does not apply unless you are VAT registered
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

flossie

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 09:31
bforbes wrote:
Thanks, so it does not apply unless you are VAT registered

No And I would guess that most pro/semi-pro photographers would try to avoid VAT registration because of the effect on their prices to Consumers, so it wouldn't affect many of them.

ISO

Link Posted 15/09/2010 - 10:34
flossie wrote:
bforbes wrote:

oh, its a complicated quirk of my business's VAT registration (special rules you can choose if you have a turnover under 150k) - basically, I can't reclaim the VAT on anything I buy...unless it costs more than 2000 (ex-vat). When VAT goes up to 20% its going to be increasingly significant.

Flossie's VAT position is indeed quirky. If you are 'normally' registered, you can claim VAT back on a 50p Biro, there is no 2000 lower limit.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.