Compatibility Issue

ziggles

Link Posted 30/09/2007 - 23:50
Hi,

I've got a K10D DSLR and have two old lens of my uncles am I'm trying to use with it but they don't seem to want to work. They attach with no problem but the the camera wont let me take a photo. It's as if when I attach the lenses it disables the capture button. Can anyone help me to understand whats happening.

ziggles.

TallNHairyDave

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 00:12
ziggles wrote:
Hi,

I've got a K10D DSLR and have two old lens of my uncles am I'm trying to use with it but they don't seem to want to work. They attach with no problem but the the camera wont let me take a photo. It's as if when I attach the lenses it disables the capture button. Can anyone help me to understand whats happening.

ziggles.

This is covered in the manual, but if they are old lenses without an "A" setting on the aperture ring, then you need to go into Custom Functions and set "Use Aperture Ring" to "permitted".

The lens should then work (albeit with the exposure problem with non-A lenses that occurs with the K10D).

Hope this helps.
Dave Appleton

Happy Pentax K10D owner since 21-08-2007
http://www.davidappleton.co.uk/photos/

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 00:19
You need to adjust one of the settings in the 'Custom Setting' menu. The setting you want is 'Using Aperture Ring', and you need to set it to '2 - Permitted'. It's on the 6th 'page' down, so either keep scrolling down or just go 'up' a couple of times and you're there.

You'll see from the description that it says "Pictures can be taken even when aperture ring position is other than A". The lenses you're trying to use almost certainly don't have an 'A' setting on the aperture ring, so by setting this menu item to permitted, the camera will allow the shutter to fire.

You'll need to meter manually too - easiest way to do this is to press the green button, which should select the correct shutter speed for the aperture you've set. However, the K10D doesn't meter correctly with these old lenses, so you may have to adjust the shutter speed afterwards.

Dan

Edit: Tall and Hairy Mr. Appleton got there first.

Edit 2: Ooh, and it's my 1000th post!
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

johnriley

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 07:49
Also don't forget to change to MF (manual focus) on the camera body, or a manual focus lens will only fire when exactly in focus. This can lead to the impression that the shutter is disabled.
Best regards, John

ziggles

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 14:29
Thanks all. I shall do that and see how I get on.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.