Pentax 75-300mm F4.5-5.8 J P-FA SMC AL Silver Lens

ziggles

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 14:31
Hi, Can anybody give me some advice on this lens:

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s65352/0/Lenses/Pentax/75-300mm-F45-58-J-P-FA-SMC-A...

I have got a Pentax K10D DSLR and am looking for a large lens to take sports photos.

Mannesty

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 14:43
It's one of the earliest aperture ring-less lenses produced by Pentax and pre-dates the DA lenses having a similar design.

I'd recommend the SMC P-FA 80-320mm lens before this one.

I owned a SMC P-FAJ 75-300mm briefly. I didn't like it. In my experience, the image quality was not good.

Check out the lens specs here.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

ziggles

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 14:59
Can't seem to find it on web to be honest. Are there any other lenses that will fit the K10D that you recommend for sports ( football ) photography.

hefty1

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 15:40
I've got a Tamron AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 (bit of a mouthful!) which is quite a reasonable lens - it's not a stellar performer by any stretch of the imagination but with a street price normally around the 100 - 120 mark you get a lot of lens for your money. For a similar price you could get the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro DG which a few on these boards seem to rate - I've not used one myself though.

Neither are especially fast, but if you want a long telephoto with a large aperture you need to pay accordingly (think thousands rather than hundreds). Either of these lenses should be a good start though.
Joining the Q

niblue

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 16:13
ziggles wrote:
Can't seem to find it on web to be honest. Are there any other lenses that will fit the K10D that you recommend for sports ( football ) photography.

The Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro mentioned above is considerably better optically that the FAJ 75-300 mentioned. It's not at it's best at 300mm (most of these types of lenses will experience a quality drop at the very long end) but it's still useable especially if the subject is central in the frame.

The Pentax 100-300 isn't great either so I'd also give that a miss - some folks rate the 80-320 but I've never used one so can't comment.

Most of the time I use a Tokina 80-200 F2.8 with a 2x TC which is optically pretty good apart from noticeable CA in some conditions. Even that's a fairly expensive option though as are the likes of the Sigma 170-500 or 50-500 (both of which are supposed to be pretty decent if you stay away from the very longest end).

Mannesty

Link Posted 01/10/2007 - 16:45
ziggles wrote:

www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk has details, but no stock. Lens spec can be found at http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/long/FAJ75-300f4.5-5.8.html .

To get really great photo's of any fast moving sports you'll need a lens that is both fast and long. Those two requirements = expensive and heavy.

That said, you can have some fun with cheaper lenses. Others here have presented some pretty good sports images.

Have a look for SMC Pentax-FA 80-320mm, Sigma 70-300 APO Macro, Sigma 135-400mm APO lenses. Then again, there are long primes to consider too . . . .
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Nimitz

Link Posted 02/10/2007 - 08:07
I got the FAJ 75-300mm. I'm quite pleased with it.

I haven't used it for sport or other fast moving objects. Mainly used it for animal (zoo) or people shots. And it preformed very good imo.

If you are interested drop me a line - and I can send you some images from the 250-300 mm range. Just to let you kniw how it preforms.

I haven't used the sigma - but a friend of mine got it and is very pleased with it.

All depends how fast you want it. Shooting outside - will probably be good enough for a slower lens.
www.mieritz.net

ChrisA

Link Posted 02/10/2007 - 08:29
Nimitz wrote:
If you are interested drop me a line - and I can send you some images from the 250-300 mm range. Just to let you kniw how it preforms.

Also, I have one, in excellent condition, which I'm thinking of selling. I need to rationalise my set of lenses and sell the ones I don't use all that much.

So if Ziggles (or anyone else for that matter) is interested, feel free to PM me.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.