Compact with viewfinder- do they exist?

Eastridge

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 17:37
Over Xmas my sister, knowing we are into cameras asks what she should get as a 'pocket' camera only 2 requiremments - significantly smaller than her Panasonic FZ and a viewfinder as she knows using an LCD screen in bright sunlight is difficult - she travels to hot bright countries a lot.

Can I find anything? Not a sausage from a google search or the DPR 'camera finder'

Am I going mad or do they no longer exist?

If they aren't around is there a good reason (i.e. LCD screens on latest cameras now so bright it's not an issue) or is it just cost cutting as only those of us serious enough to be willing to cart around something bulky actually want to be able to see what we shoot in bright conditions?

Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill. The closest seemed to be a Nikon Coolpix P60 but that is now so old it's only avilable from a couple of suppliers I have never heard of.

johnriley

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 17:45
Current LCDs are quite viewable in daylight - just shield them with one hand if necessary. The compact camera viewfinder looks to have gone.
Best regards, John

Smeggypants

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 17:57
Problem with the screens is that they seriously drain the battery. My Sony compact doesn't have a viewfinder, but I'd still like to turn the screen off as many shots I shoot blind or in the general direction of the subject in wide angle.

I have to take at least 2 spare batteries out with me.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 18:04
Nikon P7000 & Canon G12 ?
. My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 18:08
Smeggypants wrote:
Problem with the screens is that they seriously drain the battery. My Sony compact doesn't have a viewfinder, but I'd still like to turn the screen off as many shots I shoot blind or in the general direction of the subject in wide angle.

I have to take at least 2 spare batteries out with me.

There isn't a problem with the Pentax compacts....
Best regards, John

hefty1

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 20:21
Does she need a zoom? If not then the Ricoh GR-D has an excellent accessory finder that slips in the hotshoe.
Joining the Q

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 30/12/2010 - 20:27
The Canon IXUS 100 IS does have an optical viewfinder, and looks quite good... it's very stylish in black.... think I saw it for under 80.00 in Comet.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.