Comments: Weekly Competition # 123 - "Freedom"

Belinda B.
Posted 09/11/2009 - 09:59 Link
The usual place for comments, discussion, queries etc. etc.
Belinda B.
johnriley
Posted 09/11/2009 - 16:47 Link
A very interesting subject and I think I'll be trying to shoot a new image for this one.

Thinking cap is on.....
Best regards, John
Prieni
Posted 09/11/2009 - 18:36 Link
Well, growing up in West Germany and now living in East Germany I somehow feel obliged to participate...

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Belinda B.
Posted 09/11/2009 - 19:33 Link
Back in the 1980's (before the wall came down) I attended an International conference in West Berlin, but our hotel was in East Berlin so we commuted between East and West for a few days.
Belinda B.
RR
Posted 15/11/2009 - 16:51 Link
Prieni... the depth of the blues in your entry are outstanding. Do you have any rooms with blue decor ? If so, this needs to go on the wall. In fact, why not redecorate to suit ?
Prieni
Posted 15/11/2009 - 16:59 Link
Thanks Bob,

we are already looking for a new abode...

I also like how the blues turned out. I did take the shot in the evening (so blue hour springs to mind). As the image was more or less of even brightness over the picture (after putting the gradient filter on) I overexposed by 1.5 stops. When using curves and layers to darken it down again the blue became very saturated so I turned it down a bit with a hue/saturation layer.

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
davidtrout
Posted 15/11/2009 - 23:05 Link
That is one cracking shot Ralf. Visually beautiful and symbolically poignant. Hope Belinda doesn't read this or I might be accused of trying to influence the judge.
david
Belinda B.
Posted 16/11/2009 - 13:36 Link
davidtrout wrote:
......Hope Belinda doesn't read this or I might be accused of trying to influence the judge.
david
No worries - I switched my computer off at 10.00pm last night having completed all the judging, apart from womble's entry, which I saw this morning at 6.15am.

At that time I was too busy posting the judging comments to have time to read the forum

But I am glad that you agree with me
Belinda B.
davidtrout
Posted 16/11/2009 - 13:39 Link
I knew that even if you did see my comment Belinda that you are experienced enough as a photographer and judge not to be swayed. I would have been more circumspect if the judge had been a first timer.
david.
Prieni
Posted 16/11/2009 - 14:44 Link
Thanks guys,

I'm with you Gareth, some cracking entries again this round, so I feel quite lucky to win this week.

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
GivingTree
Posted 18/11/2009 - 14:53 Link
I thoroughly enjoyed MikeW's entry this week (man on his motor-chair). I found it poignant in its own way, as far as "freedom" is concerned. And the fact that the background has two signs for a car wash adds some humor. The man in his chair is nice and sharp and the blurred background tells us just how fast he's going (to where? who knows?). Thanks for that entry, Mike!
"Just put your eye to the camera and push the button-thingy."
Flickr page:
link
ericp
Posted 18/11/2009 - 17:27 Link
Thanks for the third place Belinda. You are right, the bottom bar is slightly distracting. I just never want to spend that much time editing in photoshop and I think it is cheating anyway

Congrats to the other two winners. All the entries were great so thank you Belinda for taking the time to judge each one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/_cypher/

Pentax K10D, 50, 18-55, 28-70, 100, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 18-250, 28-75

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo