Colourful Clematis

LennyBloke

Link Posted 15/05/2020 - 15:29
A couple of (colour this time) images of a rather large clematis that's in full bloom at present. Again taken with the K1 mkII & FA*24mm f2.

1. @ f2.2

2. @ f9.0

....and one of the Potato beds...

3. @ f8.0

It's not a lens that comes out very often, but when it does it has a real character to it (IMO)
LennyBloke

MHOL190246

Link Posted 15/05/2020 - 16:42
Nice shots - I think the first one with shallow Depth of field works best

philstaff

Link Posted 19/05/2020 - 08:14
NO 1 For me I prefer the faded background. All looks well in the garden too.

Regards Ian

LennyBloke

Link Posted 19/05/2020 - 19:42
Thanks for the comments - got to agree, the soft background of the first one makes it my preference too
LennyBloke

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 19/05/2020 - 23:56
I dunno, I agree the first is great but the second really appeals, it's so vibrant, a 'shout' of colour. I really like it. Lovely photographs all. Nice one(s), Lenny.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 20/05/2020 - 11:18
Thanks Urbanmeister - I think we get a bit fixated on dreamy backgrounds and Bokeh (I know I do) so tend to favour images like the first, while the second has the merits of sharpness and a bit more depth on the main flower. I frequently put up sets of photos thinking I know which will be the most liked, and I'm often surprised when I'm wrong. Years ago I judged a couple of Photographic competitions along with a couple of other people - the decision process was far more difficult than I imagined
LennyBloke

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 21/05/2020 - 23:42
No.1 for me, looks like a Nelly Moser clematis. Your clematis and potatoes are a good 2 weeks in front of mine in Yorkshire. Interestingly our Nelly Moser clematis hasn't survived this winter and appears to have died after 30 years.
Paul

K1000, istD, K70

LennyBloke

Link Posted 22/05/2020 - 10:23
PRYorkshire wrote:
No.1 for me, looks like a Nelly Moser clematis. Your clematis and potatoes are a good 2 weeks in front of mine in Yorkshire. Interestingly our Nelly Moser clematis hasn't survived this winter and appears to have died after 30 years.

Thanks Paul - that name "Nelly Moser" rings a bell now! This one is about 5 years old and has bloomed stronger and stronger each year so far. I've got 4 different types of Spuds on the go - Accent, Abbot, Charlotte and Another - I'm just hoping that the lockdown will have relaxed enough for my Grandson to help me dig them out
LennyBloke

Defragged

Link Posted 22/05/2020 - 12:28
Urbanmeister wrote:
I dunno, I agree the first is great but the second really appeals, it's so vibrant, a 'shout' of colour. I really like it. Lovely photographs all. Nice one(s), Lenny.

+1
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

pschlute

Link Posted 22/05/2020 - 23:33
The first works well for me. Love that lens.
Peter

My Flickr page

Lubbyman

Link Posted 23/05/2020 - 11:46
Right, let's be picky here. Neither clematis pic fully works for me. In the first, the main flower has a couple of distracting OOF green spikes cutting across it. Also, its lower petals are OOF which makes it a bit unbalanced to my eye since the upper petals are in focus. In the second, the main flower is good and the green spikes are less distracting as they are in focus, but the background is now too cluttered. Try f5.6 .

The potato beds shot gets my vote. It evokes the feel of a working garden. Healthy looking spuds, greenhouse in use, two water butts which shows serious intent to water plants, lawn neat but with enough daisies to show that it's for walking on not looking at...

Incidentally, the above comments might just be coloured by the fact that I've never been very keen on large flowered clematis. Give me clematis montana any day (and the space to let it ramble!).

Steve

LennyBloke

Link Posted 23/05/2020 - 12:09
Lubbyman wrote:
Right, let's be picky here. Neither clematis pic fully works for me. In the first, the main flower has a couple of distracting OOF green spikes cutting across it. Also, its lower petals are OOF which makes it a bit unbalanced to my eye since the upper petals are in focus. In the second, the main flower is good and the green spikes are less distracting as they are in focus, but the background is now too cluttered. Try f5.6 .

The potato beds shot gets my vote. It evokes the feel of a working garden. Healthy looking spuds, greenhouse in use, two water butts which shows serious intent to water plants, lawn neat but with enough daisies to show that it's for walking on not looking at...

Incidentally, the above comments might just be coloured by the fact that I've never been very keen on large flowered clematis. Give me clematis montana any day (and the space to let it ramble!).

Steve

Cheers Steve - can't disagree with your comments, apart from using f5.6, that would lose the soft bokeh that is the strength of the first shot. I wouldn't put either of these up as perfect examples - just some garden snaps The distracting green spikes are part of the Lavender bush so I didn't want to prematurely prune them - I like to see the plants go a little on the wild side
LennyBloke

Lubbyman

Link Posted 23/05/2020 - 13:42
LennyBloke wrote:
The distracting green spikes are part of the Lavender bush so I didn't want to prematurely prune them

Glad you said that - I was struggling to understand what they were!!

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.