Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Chinese accessories

stub
Posted 23/03/2013 - 08:58 Link
How many people here have purchased any of the Chinese accessory products, that are flooding the market. What have you purchased ? Were they fit for purpose ? Was the cost saving, wotrh the wait in delivery time ?
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
gwing
Posted 23/03/2013 - 09:34 Link
I've had one of the 'Beiko' gimbal mounts and a remote interval timer, both of which have been fantastic and lens caps, which were OK. I've also obtained various electronics parts and circuit boards not connected with photography with universally good experiences.

On the downside I've had memory cards that were fake and worthless, at the time it wasn't obvious they were Chinese of course

So I've been generally surprised and delighted at the level of quality and reliability for my offshore purchases BUT for any significant purchases I have only purchased products where other kind folks recommended their quality, some caution is advised. 'Alieexpress' is a Chinese equivalent of ebay and has all sort of interesting electronics stuff often unobtainable in Europe, the seller doesn't get paid until after you confirm the goods have arrived so, although it may be junk, you aren't going to get outright swindled.

I reckon that if you have the attitude that you aren't going to spend more than you can afford to lose and don't expect too much you are going to be very pleasantly surprised - most of the time. If you can afford to buy the best of everything - don't go there.
Edited by gwing: 23/03/2013 - 09:35
Fletcher8
Posted 23/03/2013 - 09:37 Link
I have purchased Phottix radio triggers and two soft boxes, I can honestly say they are very good quality, in fact I would even say as good as Westcott equipment and pocket wizard triggers. I think you still get what you pay for in terms of quality and some of the Chinese is rubbish. Delivery times have been 10 to 12 days, so not that long a wait. However, a word of caution, when I first ordered stuff from China, it just arrived at my house, then suddenly I had to collect from Royal Mail offices where I had to pay import duties and taxes. When these costs are taken into account the savings are not so great, or can work out even more expensive. The only place I order from now is One Stop Digital.
Fletcher8.
johnriley
Posted 23/03/2013 - 09:38 Link
I only buy Pentax accessories 99% of the time, but I have bought a Q adapter, a leather ERC case for Q and lens hoods for two Q lenses. All were totally satisfactory and arrived very quickly.
Best regards, John
jeallen01
Posted 23/03/2013 - 09:47 Link
stub wrote:
How many people here have purchased any of the Chinese accessory products, that are flooding the market. What have you purchased ? Were they fit for purpose ? Was the cost saving, wotrh the wait in delivery time ?

Definitely an "it all depends" situation !

I am very wary of anything electrical/electronic in nature as the safety aspects are often not well addressed. And forget the "CE" marking on something - they can do that almost with impunity on anything and the legal responsibility becomes YOURS if you import it into the EU. That's "my business", so I think I can speak with some knowledge on the subject, and have seen (and have bought :shock some pretty dodgy stuff from over there. OTOH, I have a pretty good idea of what is, and what is not safe, and can deal with it where I have to.

Similarly, with optical items like lenses and filters as you buy these for price AND performance, and if you don't get it (particularly the performance) then you have little comeback on the supplier as sending items back to China is not generally a economically viable option.

OTOH, for purely mechanical items, then you probably stand a better chance of getting what you expect. For example, within the last couple of days I received a Beike gimbal mount from Hong Kong and it seems to be pretty much what I expected for the price, with no obvious shortcomings.

BTW: I think you probably stand a better chance of getting something decent from HK than from mainland China, as the general legal and business ethics in HK are more akin to those in the UK (to be expected, given the UK's long colonisation of the island).

Finally, you probably stand the same risks if you buy the same items from very small, and even some quite big, "UK suppliers" who have actually got their stock from the same Chinese sources as many of these UK companies have no real technical knowledge, and do import some quite dodgy stuff in all innocence of the risks involved. In that context I have reported several companies to Trading Standards and one quite large one is under investigation at the present for supplying USB docks with VERY dodgy UK mains adaptors.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
davidstorm
Posted 23/03/2013 - 10:10 Link
I have bought quite a few and have been delighted with all of them. Some of my purchases so far:

- 67mm circular polariser, optical glass - great results - 3.50
- 2 x lens hoods for 55-300 lens - approx 3 each
- Aputure remote trigger - superb product - 20
- 2 x K-5 batteries, 2000mah (more power than original) - 5 each
- Flash Cord - 2
- Sling type strap for K-5 - 6
- 6 x M42 Adaptors - 7.50 each
- 2 x Cokin P type filter holders - 2 each
- Metal filter ring set for cokin holders - 6
- Manual Speedlite flash (GN36) - superb product - 25

To me, these items seem to be equivalent in quality to anything else I've purchased. No failures with any of them, quick delivery too.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 23/03/2013 - 10:10
DrOrloff
Posted 23/03/2013 - 10:21 Link
I've bought a 55-300 lens hood, remote control, K to Q adaptor and some lens caps.

All have been good quality and a whole lot cheaper than official Pentax accessories which are sometimes way overpriced in my opinion. Such as the Mount adaptor K at 65 - I remember when they doubled the price overnight. If Pentax priced accessories on a sensible markup then they would probably make more money on them. Why buy an official lens hood for 42 rather than a very well made copy for 8. I doubt there's much difference in the cost to manufacture.
giofi
Posted 23/03/2013 - 11:05 Link
I have bought quite a lot of stuff from China, not only for photography. I have bought lens hoods (several), caps, shutter trigger, cases, etc.

My experience has always been good and I found sellers to be very attentive to customer service. I had some problems a couple of times and I was offered refund immediately.
Edited by giofi: 23/03/2013 - 11:05
Chrism8
Posted 23/03/2013 - 11:16 Link
I've purchased most of my studio gear from HK, quality's been very good as well as the service and communication, only had one minor problem and that was sorted very quickly and effiently.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
jeallen01
Posted 23/03/2013 - 11:38 Link
giofi wrote:
I have bought quite a lot of stuff from China, not only for photography. I have bought lens hoods (several), caps, shutter trigger, cases, etc.

My experience has always been good and I found sellers to be very attentive to customer service. I had some problems a couple of times and I was offered refund immediately.

OTOH, one Chinese supplier tried to pursuade me to replace negative feedback on a very poor product (a special computer mouse with a horrible action that made it useless) by positive feedback by offering some form of refund. I refused because the product was rubbish and I did not wish anyone else to be duped into buying one!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Hardgravity
Posted 23/03/2013 - 12:28 Link
Several lens, caps an intervalomiter and Shanghai IAS100 120 format film and pocket watched amongst other things.

All work well, although delivery times vary tremendously.

Anything over 10 including postage is always a gamble so a bit of research on the net always help. So far I'm happy with what's arrived.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 23/03/2013 - 13:34 Link
I've never ordered anything major, mostly lens caps etc. Everything that has arrived has been decent. I'm going to have to go to a proper shop for some good M42 caps because I'm tied of buying them and then they simply never arrive, even from sellers with good reviews.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
percy
Posted 23/03/2013 - 14:03 Link
I've had a number of different items from China, not just photography related. The quality is not always up to the same standard as an OEM part, but it has always been perfectly satisfactory and quite serviceable, and normally at a fraction of the cost. I am quite happy to buy from China, but up until now I haven't had anything more than about 50 in value.
stub
Posted 23/03/2013 - 21:46 Link
Thats good news. Looks like I can buy with a certain amount of confidence. Prices are so keen its hard to ignore.. I thought everyone would say they have only bought a grip.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Smeggypants
Posted 23/03/2013 - 22:32 Link
Pretty everything Chinese I have bought has been absolutely fine. Especially Batteries. the Pentax versions are a complete rip off
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.