Cherry Blossom and Berberis

Lubbyman

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 21:00
Two contrasting flowers, two contrasting lenses, two contrasting pictures. First, miniature cherry taken with Irix 150mm macro. Second, berberis darwinii taken with Pentax 10-17mm fisheye. Both with K3. I'm beginning to understand how versatile the fisheye can be once you stop thinking that every picture must look fishy.

Thoughts, comments etc. welcome as usual.

Steve

jvs

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 07:50
Really like the first one, Steve - dreamily, wistfully soft with hints of sharpness here and there to give it form and structure. Beautiful!
John

womble

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 08:13
The first one is gorgeous.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

RobL

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 10:41
I am with the others, love the first one especially. It is good to experiment with the 10-17mm although since I got the K1 it hasn’t been used.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 21:41
Thanks folks.

So Pentax people prefer soft and dreamy to hard and spiky. I wonder what users of other brands prefer?

Steve

danofmk

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 07:48
Yep, first one for me has a lovely softness to it. Not just the out of focus areas, but the colours too.

My initial impression was it wanted a bit more exposure and/or saturation, but actually I think resisting that temptation adds to the overall 'soft' feel

Lovely

Lubbyman

Link Posted 03/04/2021 - 11:58
danofmk wrote:
My initial impression was it wanted a bit more exposure and/or saturation, but actually I think resisting that temptation adds to the overall 'soft' feel

Exactly the thought process I went through!

The colour of the blossom on the tree is interesting. Seen from close up, the petals are almost white with the strong colour concentrated in the centre. But from a distance, the blossom is uniformly pink. The brain seems to average out the colours and decide that the answer is 'pink'.

Steve

Sry

Link Posted 07/04/2021 - 21:58
I, too, have a 'soft' spot for the cherry blossoms, for all the reasons mentioned above.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.