Cheapy focusing screen

SilverJON

Link Posted 24/12/2007 - 21:36
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Split-Image-Focusing-Microprism-Screen-Pentax-K10D_W0QQite...
Split Image Focusing Microprism Screen Pentax K10D on eBay, also, LCD Hoods Screens, Digital Camera Accessories, Photography (end time 02-Jan-08 19:04:07 GMT)

Too good to be true at 18?

It's not of Katz Eye standard I'm guessing - but if I don't like it, for 18 it's not a big deal and I can always put the old screen back.

It does say lower down that it is K100D compatible, which is believable given they have the same sensor size and AF points.

I would love easier MF...

Jonathan

SilverJON

Link Posted 26/12/2007 - 19:56
Er... I'm guess I'm asking if it would be a mistake to buy it.

It would improve my shots, I think!

Ammonyte

Link Posted 26/12/2007 - 22:38
Be aware that these screens can interfere with the metering, so you may have to make some manual adjustments (+/- ev)
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

pschlute

Link Posted 26/12/2007 - 23:54
I bought a cheap focus screen for my DS a while ago. I think from the same seller....very similar name, although mine had a tab so you hold it with tweezers. It worked a treat on my DS with no exposure problems.

I dont use it on my K10D now though as I eventually felt it was interfering with my composition (never felt that with my MX though !)
Peter

My Flickr page

Hazza

Link Posted 27/12/2007 - 07:37
I bought one from ebay, but not sure if this is the same seller. Mine also had the tab on it and it was easy to replace, although I did get a couple of dust specks underneath which eventually came out using a blower. It works great and I am very happy with it. Focusing is a doddle with manual lenses and I haven't noticed any errors in focus or metering, but then again I tend to use the histogram if the light is a bit tricky. I also had one for my Samsung which came without the tab, still worked great though.
Harry

iceblinker

Link Posted 29/12/2007 - 15:36
I bought a similar one. It's fine, except:--

1. The size of the split image + microprism is rather large and distracting in general. I don't remember the one in my P30 being so large - though my memory could be playing tricks.

2. Half of the split image goes black when a slower lens is used. Sorry I can't remember what exact speed that is now.

I've gone back to a more standard screen (with my DS) - permanently - even though I still sometimes use manual-focus lenses. The problem with frequently changing screens is that it's too easy to get dust or marks on them in the process.
~Pete

Malo1961

Link Posted 29/12/2007 - 21:46
In this case again the rule: you get what you pay for, comes to mind. Of course 18 pounds isn't breaking the bank, and with sufficient
light to work with, there will be little to no problems. But........., there is a reason that the Katz Eye Company asks a lot more. If you are willing to pay that price of 150 dollars(with optibrite treatment on the standard screen) and you look through the VF,after installing this little beauty you will be smiling.
And they guarantee it won't blackout, even with using f8 or f11 lenses.
And indeed......,they don't I know, because i have one installed in my DL 2. And another one is arriving on the third of januari for my k10d.
Just my 2 cnts (there is nothing more in the bank )

martin
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

SilverJON

Link Posted 06/01/2008 - 05:11
OK, thanks everyone! - I think I'll get one soon
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.