Cheap NiMH batteries


haydnw

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:02
Picked up some 2300mAh rechargeable batteries today in Aldi at what I thought was a great price - 2.79 for a pack of 4, Aldi own brand but they don't usually sell poor quality.
Haydn

link
Samsung GX1S, Nikon D300, Zenith 12XP, Olympus OM10, Holga 120N

George Lazarette

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:14
That's certainly very cheap, but to be frank, you are probably better off getting Eneloops/Hybrios/Infiniums. Although nominally less powerful (and more expensive), they hold their charge much better which means they last longer in practice. And, because they need less re-charging, they will probably live rather longer.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Oggy

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:24
haydnw wrote:
Picked up some 2300mAh rechargeable batteries today in Aldi at what I thought was a great price - 2.79 for a pack of 4,

Good luck mate

(Associated phrases - Buy cheap, buy twice, For a haporth of tar.)


Quote:
Aldi own brand but they don't usually sell poor quality.

Falls off chair laughing.

haydnw

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:30
George,Oggy

I've used various brands of NiMH batteries in my Samsung GX1S and in several different flashguns and find them OK - you may well be right that the more expensive batteries last longer, however in my experience her indoors or the kids spirit them away to power torches, radios and god knows what else so the cheap ones suit my needs.
I'll update this post if the Aldi ones turn out to be 'dud'
Haydn

link
Samsung GX1S, Nikon D300, Zenith 12XP, Olympus OM10, Holga 120N
Last Edited by haydnw on 19/09/2009 - 23:31

Aero

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:35
Eneloops, Hybrios and similar are certainly the way to go. I bought some Camlink AAs a while back from 7 day shop (same principle as Eneloops but a lot cheaper) and they work fine. Just checked my AF360 and it's ready to go after a couple of months sitting on a shelf - normal NiMH batteries would have been flat long ago, even without use. The self-discharge problem has ruled out NiMHs as far as I'm concerned.

Al

George Lazarette

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:43
haydnw wrote:
George,Oggy

I've used various brands of NiMH batteries in my Samsung GX1S and in several different flashguns and find them OK - you may well be right that the more expensive batteries last longer, however in my experience her indoors or the kids spirit them away to power torches, radios and god knows what else so the cheap ones suit my needs.
I'll update this post if the Aldi ones turn out to be 'dud'

I take your point!

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

alfiemooon

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:44
The first comment that springs to mind is from "Mock the Week".As quoted by Hugh Dennis..."Aldi...because you`re worthless"

However,let`s be rational for a moment...just because it says Aldi on the outside,doesn`t mean it`s Aldi on the inside...if you get a "dud",at that price you can chuck it (I mean dispose of responsibly) and get another pack.

Nic
K10D,K20D
Pentax 18-55,Tamron AF 70-300,Sigma 150-500
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ

bforbes

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:48
George Lazarette wrote:
I take your point!

G

Haydn has enough trouble without you starting to take things
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Oggy

Link Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:57
Another of my hobbies which relies on rechargeable batteries is radio controlled aircraft. In this application, correct function of batteries is much more critical - failure would start at loss of an airframe (about 250 upwards, some in the thousands) and could involve much more serious issues (endangering people around you).We use Sanyos (eneloops) almost exclusively, although some people have been getting reasonable results with Vapextechs, but the jury is still out.

In real terms over the life of a set of batteries you are saving your self a very small amount of money---


Another more general point, the way photographers use their batteries is very different from modellers. People round here talk about low self discharge - there is no way this should be relied on. If you are going to use a set of batteries, charge them before use.

haydnw

Link Posted 20/09/2009 - 00:10
My post was aimed at people, like myself, who use NiMH batteries to power all manner of devices.

I'm sure that the points raised about the virtues of different battery types are sound.

The fact remains that if you are in the market for general purpose re-chargeables (which will work in your AA powered camera or flash gun) you could do worse than these.
Haydn

link
Samsung GX1S, Nikon D300, Zenith 12XP, Olympus OM10, Holga 120N

K10D

Link Posted 20/09/2009 - 03:46
haydnw wrote:
My post was aimed at people, like myself, who use NiMH batteries to power all manner of devices.

I'm sure that the points raised about the virtues of different battery types are sound.

The fact remains that if you are in the market for general purpose re-chargeables (which will work in your AA powered camera or flash gun) you could do worse than these.

Your reasoning is absolutely sound. I have used many types of rechargeables over the years. Only as far back as 2004, you could get reasonable NiMH's but you could not get fast chargers. My father and I built our own chargers using the Maxim 712 IC, by fast, I mean 20 to 30 minutes from flat. Today I use commercial, programmable FAST chargers.

All of which must work from 12vDC.

I still use various types in the istD, Oly C3040 and a pair of 7Hi's plus flashguns.

M&S don't sell what I need, 7Dayshop, Aldi. Liddl and Netto do.

Keep on chargin...

Last Edited by K10D on 20/09/2009 - 03:47

Hardgravity

Link Posted 20/09/2009 - 16:42
I've been using these batteries for around a year and didn't know they were still available!

As for life, well twelve months and still going strong! Unlike a set of expensive s*** ones that died within eight months.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.