Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cheap(est) off camera flash setup for k-x?

ivandobski
Posted 10/01/2011 - 21:39 Link
I'm after a cheap off camera flash setup, mostly for indoors work such as smoke trails, water droplets etc etc. Using a k-x if that makes much difference.

I had my eye on a cheap metz from SRS but it's now out of stock.

So, what's good?
Dangermouse
Posted 10/01/2011 - 21:59 Link
You can use pretty much any flash with a cheap optical slave trigger, then the built-in flash to trigger it.

If you stick to genuine Pentax units then you shouldn't have trouble with excessive trigger voltages, although you should still check them by turning the flash on and touching the probes of a multimeter set to measure DC volts to the contacts on the base of the flash.

The AF200T is surprisingly handy for an old, cheap flash as it has a lot of control over manual power output. It'll also work in Program mode either on the camera or via one of those cheap P-TTL flash cables mentioned elsewhere in this section.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Pentaxophile
Posted 10/01/2011 - 22:25 Link
Are those optical triggers fooled by the pre-flash from the onboard flash? I know the Pentax Xtra Flash slave units are
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Dangermouse
Posted 10/01/2011 - 23:09 Link
Agh, hadn't thought of that! Can you turn the preflash off?

Failing that you can find a simple Pentax flash like the AF160 or AF200S for about a tenner (or less in the case of the AF160 if you're prepared to hunt a bit), both will work and have no preflash.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Algernon
Posted 11/01/2011 - 10:35 Link
cardiff_gareth wrote:
If you put the camera into manual 'M' mode it knocks off the pre flash on the K10 and K20 thus allowing slave flash shooting although I'm unsure if it'll work with the K-x

Are you sure about that Gareth?..... I thought the pre-flash was
also used for anti-red eye?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Algernon
Posted 11/01/2011 - 11:30 Link
So it's a separate flashgun mounted in the hot-shoe?

The trouble with any flash even low powered at the camera position is that it will reflect back off any reflective surface in front of the camera. What I used to do was use a foil cooking tray to send the flash to one side so it didn't reflect back..... bit messy so I bought an RF-602 trigger.

You can actually buy a slave unit with a variable delay that picks up the pre-flash waits for x milliseconds and then fires the off camera flash in time with the shutter opening..... still leaves the problem of a flash on the camera..... so a trigger is better.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
ivandobski
Posted 11/01/2011 - 18:52 Link
Errr.....

I'm not gonna lie to ya guys, some of that up there ^^^^^^^^ means nowt to me!

Cheers though!
ivandobski
Posted 12/01/2011 - 13:20 Link
Ah that makes sense now.

TBH though I think I understated the word cheap a bit - the metz unit I was looking at was the 20 C-2, ieŁ40rrp Anyone have any experiences of this? Also, it says it comes with a sync cable, I presumed this meant for moving the flash off camera but the more I read it sounds like it might be for linking to a 2nd flash off camera?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.