Changing Exif Data

Lubbyman

Link Posted 06/05/2022 - 17:08
Can anyone recommend a free, simple program for changing Exif data for a set of files. Must run in batch mode on a Windows PC.

I've just had to change the date of about 80 files. The ancient version of PhotoME that I've got for viewing and changing Exif data can only do one file at a time, so doing all 80 took ages, not to mention being incredibly boring. Unfortunately, the same thing is likely to be needed again some time thanks to the Q losing date and time when its battery is changed.

Steve

Mike-P

Link Posted 06/05/2022 - 17:13
In Windows batch Highlight (ctrl & Click) all the files, right click and go down to properties then across to details and change the date taken there. Then click apply.

Just tried it on about 9 shots and it took a couple of seconds

Edit: Think it may only work on .Jpeg though.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 06/05/2022 - 17:18

Lubbyman

Link Posted 07/05/2022 - 08:35
Thanks. Will try it out after domestic duties are finished today. Who'd have thought that Windows might actually be helpful with this!

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 07/05/2022 - 14:01
Just tried it and it works - quite unexpected! Thank you Mike.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Mike-P

Link Posted 07/05/2022 - 19:03
davidwozhere wrote:
Just tried it and it works - quite unexpected! Thank you Mike.

No problem, I use it for adding the lens make and model (Usually Sigma) to the exif which then shows on Flickr.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 07/05/2022 - 19:07

Lubbyman

Link Posted 08/05/2022 - 12:21
It works for me too (Windows 8.1), for JPEG but not for DNG. So it deals with those situations where I'm taking JPEG record shots and the date is important - probably about 90% of the situations where I'd want to change Exif data.

PhotoME can change Exif for DNG files, but only one file a a time. So I'm still looking for a (free) way of batch changing DNGs.

Steve

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 08/05/2022 - 13:02
Hello Steve.

If you donít mind using the command line, there is ExifTool which allows for the changing of most EXIF tags, both for single files and batches of files.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

JAK

Link Posted 12/05/2022 - 22:29
LongTimeLurker wrote:
Hello Steve.

If you donít mind using the command line, there is ExifTool which allows for the changing of most EXIF tags, both for single files and batches of files.

Yep, or if you'd rather have user interface instead there's ExifToolGUI https://exiftool.org/gui/
It requires that Exif Tools is installed.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 12/05/2022 - 22:30
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.