catch in focus
Posted 12/04/2012 - 08:52
Link
You have a point ChrisA, but I was only mentioning in the context that most users won't really care and probably have never used the feature. I wasn't defending a prnciple of accepting everything that happens!
The trouble is that simple questions tend to go off on wild tangents that don't help the simple, straightforward question. It can confuse.
I suppose it would be nice if we started a new thread once it gets more esoteric in its appeal, but I doubt that will happen.
The trouble is that simple questions tend to go off on wild tangents that don't help the simple, straightforward question. It can confuse.
I suppose it would be nice if we started a new thread once it gets more esoteric in its appeal, but I doubt that will happen.
Best regards, John
Posted 12/04/2012 - 08:54
Link
What I do think is that I spend most of my time shooting images, not fiddling to make things work. If I want to use CIF I use a manual focus lens. The right tool for the job.
Best regards, John
Posted 12/04/2012 - 08:55
Link
johnriley wrote:
The trouble is that simple questions tend to go off on wild tangents that don't help the simple, straightforward question. It can confuse.
I suppose it would be nice if we started a new thread once it gets more esoteric in its appeal, but I doubt that will happen.
Er, this thread is called 'Catch In Focus'.The trouble is that simple questions tend to go off on wild tangents that don't help the simple, straightforward question. It can confuse.
I suppose it would be nice if we started a new thread once it gets more esoteric in its appeal, but I doubt that will happen.
It's one of the most consistently on-topic discussions for a long time!
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 12/04/2012 - 09:02
Link
johnriley wrote:
If I want to use CIF I use a manual focus lens. The right tool for the job.
Pentax doesn't actually make any of those any more, and most of the lenses they do make don't have an A/M switch.If I want to use CIF I use a manual focus lens. The right tool for the job.
You have to rely on old lenses - and you may have plenty of those, but plenty of people may not.
It is not unreasonable to ask for a feature that would enable all the AF lenses to work perfectly well with CIF.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 12/04/2012 - 09:07
Link
Actually I think you are both right.
Clearly the best lens for catch in focus is a manual one, then it works perfectly without adaptions.
For those of us without huge budgets working with a limited number of lenses then sometimes work arounds are necessary.
There are at least three active threads on catch in focus open so it's clearly a popular (and confusing) subject. Perhaps it's time for some 'stickys' at the top of the page or another section to definitively address some of these common issues so that the same question doesn't get asked again and again? I've only been a member for 7 months or so, but have lost count of the number of times certain subjects have come up. So often, in fact, that it makes it difficult to search so it's easier to ask again!
Clearly the best lens for catch in focus is a manual one, then it works perfectly without adaptions.
For those of us without huge budgets working with a limited number of lenses then sometimes work arounds are necessary.
There are at least three active threads on catch in focus open so it's clearly a popular (and confusing) subject. Perhaps it's time for some 'stickys' at the top of the page or another section to definitively address some of these common issues so that the same question doesn't get asked again and again? I've only been a member for 7 months or so, but have lost count of the number of times certain subjects have come up. So often, in fact, that it makes it difficult to search so it's easier to ask again!
Posted 12/04/2012 - 11:59
Link
Unfortunately there is often not a "definitive answer" and this is a forum for discussion....so people discuss what takes their fancy.
Best regards, John
Posted 12/04/2012 - 12:09
Link
johnriley wrote:
Unfortunately there is often not a "definitive answer" and this is a forum for discussion....so people discuss what takes their fancy.
Not sure if this would be classed as a 'competing' site, and hence against the rules... it's so different from what we have here that I'd doubt it somehow...Unfortunately there is often not a "definitive answer" and this is a forum for discussion....so people discuss what takes their fancy.
... but there's a series of Q&A sites, collectively grouped under the stackexchange domain.
The photography one is photo.stackexchange.com, and it's for answers to questions, not discussion.
'Definitive' is measured by the amount of up-rep people receive.
'Moderation' can be done by anyone with enough rep - and off-topic comments and bad answers tend to get stomped on.
It's a very different model from 'discussion forum', but it works very well in the software/hardware world.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 12/04/2012 - 12:47
Link
It's off topic though, as we are are what we are. Not sure about the idea of simply those who sound most convincing deciding the value of things, that's self-perpetuating and leads to those who shout loudest and most convincingly drowning out what could be a more correct but more quietly expressed answer.
However, let's not stray into that area as it's nothing to do with Catch In Focus.
However, let's not stray into that area as it's nothing to do with Catch In Focus.
Best regards, John
Posted 12/04/2012 - 13:43
Link
Quote:
Unfortunately there is often not a "definitive answer"
I assume that you are refering to equipment here,in which case I cannot see why there cannot be a definitive answer as (I assume) :-Unfortunately there is often not a "definitive answer"
All K5 cameras are intrinsically the same (OK some may have various boxes ticked differently)
All Pentax AF lenses are essentially the same
Ditto Pentax MF
Ditto Pentax DA
and so on....
So, without resorting to bits of tape/silver foil/etc which combinations will always work.
Then we come to the 'make do' fixes, and again which will work and which will not.
Maybe from the above a 'definitive' table can be generated, which will be the same for your camera and lens as it will be for mine (if I have the same kit)
regards
Bernard
Posted 12/04/2012 - 14:06
Link
I believe the whole idea of 'Catch in focus' is to allow users of Manual lenses some degree of automation.
Users of the DFA 100mm f2.8 macro lens can get CIF to work by turning the clamp to 'On.' I've got the older non WR version, I do not know if the newer WR version has that feature. Hope that helps someone!
John
Users of the DFA 100mm f2.8 macro lens can get CIF to work by turning the clamp to 'On.' I've got the older non WR version, I do not know if the newer WR version has that feature. Hope that helps someone!
John
John K
Posted 12/04/2012 - 14:11
Link
JAK wrote:
I believe the whole idea of 'Catch in focus' is to allow users of Manual lenses some degree of automation.
John
I'm sure that's right, but, in macro work where most people wouldn't use AF, catch in focus is a very good way of getting a decent shot, especially if hand holding on your knees in a dark cornerI believe the whole idea of 'Catch in focus' is to allow users of Manual lenses some degree of automation.
John
So much so that I've been trying to make an AF lens manual so I can use it!
Posted 12/04/2012 - 15:01
Link
milamber wrote:
I've been trying to make an AF lens manual so I can use it!
There must be some well proven techniques for doing that. Dropping it usually works but might not be reversible!I've been trying to make an AF lens manual so I can use it!
What you could do with is... DFA 100mm f2.8 macro. But many of the old manual macros were excellent lenses. Have had a Vivitar 90mm f2.8 manual focus from new. It's as good as the DFA.
John
John K
Posted 12/04/2012 - 16:09
Link
Not sure dropping it would be adviseable in this instance as it's the 'plastic fantastic' Vivitar 100mm!
Adding a 12mm manual tube works, but I suspect I might have been better off with an older, manual lens rather than trying to make a modern AF lens manual.
I certainly could do with a DFA 100mm 2.8, but my bank account would disagree
Adding a 12mm manual tube works, but I suspect I might have been better off with an older, manual lens rather than trying to make a modern AF lens manual.
I certainly could do with a DFA 100mm 2.8, but my bank account would disagree
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


653 posts
17 years
Durham UK
Isn't it much easier to just follow the instructions? I know some love to make things work where they "shouldn't" work, but for the majority of users that isn't really relevant.
It's a useful, but minor, feature that's available on all the Pentax DSLRs I've used, and it's a consequence of how things work, rather than the raison d'etre.
I found it to be an over rated feature.I first used it on my SFXn then IST*d never used it since.
John