Camera straps

Floggitt

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 11:08
Having spent a day with the K-5 slung around my neck, I am unhappy with the standard Pentax neck strap, as it is quite rough on my delicate skin! So what other options do I have I quite like the idea of a wrist strap, or do I go for a better quality neck one that will be comfortable to wear all day.

Shoulder straps? does the camera fall off as your walking around.

Ideas and experiences please before I get the credit card out and make a booboo.

Off to the beach with the family sun is shinning, camera bag is ready!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
John's Law: If it isn't broke, it bloody soon will be.

JohnX

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 11:58
I use an Op Tech. Very pleased with it. Actually makes the camera/lenses seem lighter. Neck or shoulder, plus can be adapted to make it into a sling strap.

Made of neoprene and webbing. Neoprene is soft and grippy, so doesn't slide off the shoulder and because it 'gives' it cushions the contact point - neck or shoulder.
Last Edited by JohnX on 04/06/2012 - 12:00

HappySnapper65

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 12:21
JohnX wrote:
I use an Op Tech. Very pleased with it. Actually makes the camera/lenses seem lighter. Neck or shoulder, plus can be adapted to make it into a sling strap.

Made of neoprene and webbing. Neoprene is soft and grippy, so doesn't slide off the shoulder and because it 'gives' it cushions the contact point - neck or shoulder.

+1 I also use an Optech Strap, I use it as a Sling type, I would recommend this to anyone buying a new strap.

Dave
Auto110,MZ-30, K5, loads of Black Tubes with Glass in.

womble

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 12:43
I too have an Optech strap although I transferred it to my Yashicamat 124G on a temporary basis about a year ago... which reminds me, I should put it back before I leave in the morning for the latest exciting adventure. It is highly recommended.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

thoramay

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 14:33
Also vote for Optech but rather the version that lets you keep the camera sat on your chest with instant use of the camera.

Floggitt

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 15:54
wow big vote for the optech then I will do some googling

Thanks for the help
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
John's Law: If it isn't broke, it bloody soon will be.

snappychappy

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 16:36
I use an optech style strap, but it is custom made with another popular photography sites name embroidered on it. Perhaps a Pentax User strap should be made available on here.
My piccies.

Gwyn

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 17:19
snappychappy wrote:

Perhaps a Pentax User strap should be made available on here.

What a good idea .

jeffstclair

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 17:36
I find that most straps are far to short ,and I don't like the way the strap loops on the camera make it stick out in front with large lens.
So I made a flat plate out of a bit of ally with two slots for the strap and a screw that goes in the tripod mount ,it works fine and cost nothing,no camera shops here anyway ...jeff

Mannesty

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 23:28
I use a Black Rapid RS-5 Cargo strap. It's an excellent performer, but a bit expensive compared to others.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

annieogg

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 08:58
I tend to end up carrying mine camera with the grip and as the stap i find annoying and then having to put back in my bag more than I would is strap was comfortable so had thought of hand strap as well. Looking at these sling straps they look interesting is there more of a danger hit the camera against things? What have you guys found ? I'm small and dumpy so not sure if having something hanging at my side would be safe.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them

annieogg

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 08:59
I tend to end up carrying mine camera with the grip and as the stap i find annoying and then having to put back in my bag more than I would if strap was comfortable so had thought of hand strap as well. Looking at these sling straps they look interesting is there more of a danger hit the camera against things? What have you guys found ? I'm small and dumpy so not sure if having something hanging at my side would be safe.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them

Gwyn

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 09:21
Until I find an affordable solution to the QR plate problem for sling and hand straps I shall stick to my OpTech. It is too short for me really but finding the extension straps is nearly as hard as finding a suitable QR plate .

techno-terminator

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 09:27
If I'm out and about the Kx is on my BlackRapid RS-W1 - very comfy.

If I'm in a one place sort of thing, then it's on the Pentax strap , round my neck etc or with the strap round my wrist twice and the K-x in my hand .

I'll be using it in a Church Service soon [ very big occasion ] from a static point [ my seat ] so the camera will be beside me so I can just grab it quickly when the opportunity arises.
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

john941

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 11:03
Wouldn't go without my blackRapid, added advantage for street photography is camera is not conspicuous.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.