Camera Glove

the_drewster

Link Posted 01/05/2007 - 22:11
As a kid, I remember my dad having a Canon A1. It had a glove type leather case that moulded perfectly around it and would hang from the bottom of the camera when it was in use.

Do they make them for the k10. You'd think for that price they'd come with a semi-permanantly attached case.

Mongoose

Link Posted 01/05/2007 - 22:25
sounds like you're describing an Ever Ready case. The last one I am aware of was for the SFX. Interestingly the K10D does (sortof) fit in the SFX ERC, but not with a sensible lens mounted on it. (yes, I do have too much Pentax junk! alas I have sold my SFX ERC or I'd offer it to you).

They fell out of favour because the standard zoom lenses became too large for a practical ERC to happily contain. The SFX had a really dinky SMC-F 35-70 with it, barely bigger than a 50mm F1.4

Gwyn

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 07:29
Hopefully Camera Armor will realise there are more manufactureres of cameras in the world and will get round to making one for the K10D soon. Maybe you could mail them to find out if they are planning one if you like the product. I see they now do the Sony so there is hope....
http://www.camerarmor.com/camera-armor.html

johnriley

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 08:05
Slightly tongue-in-cheek, this item might be called the Never Ready Case.

Every time you wanted to change a card or battery you would have to take off the case. IMHO, more trouble than it's worth and not at all missed.
Best regards, John

Mongoose

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 09:09
not to mention you spend an awful lot more time looking at the back of the camera with digital.

I wouldn't be without my ERC for my ME-F as it's all that holds the batteries in but on the K10D it would have to have so many holes for buttons and the screen that it would just fall apart.

give me a lowepro toploader any day.

the_drewster

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 09:54
Quote:

Every time you wanted to change a card or battery you would have to take off the case. IMHO, more trouble than it's worth and not at all missed.

You know, I didn't think of all that. I just remember my dad having a go for not covering it up.

I've emailed Camera Armor.

I considered Toploaders, and my only problem with them is that you'd be a walking advertisment for muggers.

johnriley

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 10:04
There are certain designs of Billingham bag (Alice, Hadley, Packington) that enable very easy access to camera and lenses without messing with zips and padded tops that open the wrong way.

These designs are slim and rest well against the body and offer the highest possible quality of manufacture. They also don't scream out "Camera Bag!" quite so loudly. My black Hadley is barely noticed.

Within Hadley I have a K10D, 12-24mm, 16-45mm, 50mm, 50-200mm, cards, spare battery, torch and still plenty of room ro re-arrange things and perhaps include a flashgun or film body if I wanted to.

The Superflex internal dividers/padding are also very versatile and easy to adjust. They are also very substantial and absorb shock well.

I have always used Billingham since being introduced to them by Kevin MacDonnell's articles in the 1960s/70s. They have become much better since then.
Best regards, John

the_drewster

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 10:27
I like them!

fatspider

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 10:52
Mongoose wrote:
sounds like you're describing an Ever Ready case. The last one I am aware of was for the SFX. Interestingly the K10D does (sortof) fit in the SFX ERC, but not with a sensible lens mounted on it. (yes, I do have too much Pentax junk! alas I have sold my SFX ERC or I'd offer it to you).

They fell out of favour because the standard zoom lenses became too large for a practical ERC to happily contain. The SFX had a really dinky SMC-F 35-70 with it, barely bigger than a 50mm F1.4

I think they survived longer than that, I recall there was one available for the MZ series.
But as others have said, not a very good idea for a DSLR, perhaps a "toploader" bag would be better, but on the other hand you could always think ahead and buy a very large backpack
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Ammonyte

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 11:42
I use an Op/tech neoprene wrap. It attaches to your camera strap and can hang down (sometimes annoyingly so) when not on the camera.

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=8584&1=Op%2Ftech+D%2DPro+Digital+Pouch+black
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 13:07
impotentspider wrote:
I think they survived longer than that, I recall there was one available for the MZ series.

You're spot on Spider - I even think there was an ERC for the MZ-S or the film *ist - check out SRS's ebay shop as they've got one on there!

I love having the ERC's for things like ME's and my Program A - like somebody else said they remind me of my Dad - he was always paranoid about keeping his Prog A and P30n covered up. They must've worked OK as his Prog A is still in awesome cond even to this day and I hate to think how many films it's had thru it!!!
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook

MattMatic

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 13:13
I have the ERC cases for the *ist-D and *ist-DS.
They're fine for the kit zoom and the SMC-FA 24-90 (just). The 16-45 won't fit though.
I'm sure there was a K10D one... but you probably won't like the price. (I think they're around 50. But I waited and found both at around 20-25 mail order return from ePhotozineshop and ebay)

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Mongoose

Link Posted 02/05/2007 - 15:25
I stand corrected, I still wouldn't buy one though.

Paul East

Link Posted 26/05/2007 - 20:51
What I find a pain is the conventional around-your-neck strap when using a conventional camera bag. What I would like is a short wrist-strap for my right hand. I know one of the other medium-format cameras used to come with them as standard. The benefit is that you would still have protection against just dropping the camera due to butter-fingers but there would be so much less strap to get in the way when you want to get the camera out of the bag in a hurry. Anybody know if such a thing is available?
25 years a Pentax nut. ME Super, Super A, that big clunky one (MFZ?), and now digital.

NigelJK

Link Posted 31/05/2007 - 16:56
I have the ERC for my istD, I concur just about everything more than a 'standard' lense is too big. Also (another anoyance) the case doesn't fit if you have a battery grip fitted.
regards,
Nigel.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.