Camera Clubs
Posted 04/03/2015 - 08:53
Link
I'm Chairman of ADAPS, in Atherton near Manchester, and we've been looking for an overseas club who might like to have a "battle" competition via the internet or via exchanging CDs even.
This isn't the place to discuss that, but if you'd like to see if your club is interested then drop me an e-mail or PM and we can discuss it.
This isn't the place to discuss that, but if you'd like to see if your club is interested then drop me an e-mail or PM and we can discuss it.
Best regards, John
Posted 04/03/2015 - 09:35
Link
Our camera club is only five years old and has already got over 100 members and still rising. Not bad for a medium sized town with other more established clubs within a short radius. Many of our members had previously tried other clubs but found them unwelcoming to beginners. We have a New Members Secretary whose role it is to look after new and prospective members on their first couple of visits to the club. Only rarely have we had a prospective member not become a full member.
Rugeley & Armitage Camera Club
Rugeley & Armitage Camera Club
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Posted 04/03/2015 - 10:13
Link
johnriley wrote:
I was out judging again tonight, this time at Prestwich CC. A great bunch of people, and it struck me that there are plenty of good camera clubs out there. They really do help people to improve their photography, be it by competitionworth trying out more than one until you find the one .....
The very reason I stopped entering the Pentaxuser 3 monthly competition, you don't know why you have failed and therefore improve. I was shot down by a lot of members over thaT.
I was out judging again tonight, this time at Prestwich CC. A great bunch of people, and it struck me that there are plenty of good camera clubs out there. They really do help people to improve their photography, be it by competitionworth trying out more than one until you find the one .....
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Posted 04/03/2015 - 10:18
Link
If you want feedback, the competitions on Pentax User that offer that are the weekly and monthly ones. The quarterly one is run like magazine competitions used to be - winners shown, but no correspondence entered into!
Best regards, John
Posted 04/03/2015 - 16:41
Link
Quote:
The very reason I stopped entering the Pentaxuser 3 monthly competition, you don't know why you have failed
Just because you don't win doesn't mean you have failed, it could simply be that others did better or the judge had preferences. Don't take pictures for others to criticise, take them for yourself.
The very reason I stopped entering the Pentaxuser 3 monthly competition, you don't know why you have failed
Posted 04/03/2015 - 17:50
Link
dangie wrote:
Our camera club is only five years old and has already got over 100 members and still rising. Not bad for a medium sized town with other more established clubs within a short radius. Many of our members had previously tried other clubs but found them unwelcoming to beginners. We have a New Members Secretary whose role it is to look after new and prospective members on their first couple of visits to the club. Only rarely have we had a prospective member not become a full member.
Rugeley & Armitage Camera Club
What an excellent approach to potential new members. First impressions count. I went to my local club (at the time) in the late 80s for one evening, and I have never been through the door of a camera club since.Our camera club is only five years old and has already got over 100 members and still rising. Not bad for a medium sized town with other more established clubs within a short radius. Many of our members had previously tried other clubs but found them unwelcoming to beginners. We have a New Members Secretary whose role it is to look after new and prospective members on their first couple of visits to the club. Only rarely have we had a prospective member not become a full member.
Rugeley & Armitage Camera Club
I'm well aware that time has moved on, and internet searches of my now local clubs appear all to be excellent towards new people, and I hope they adopt the methods of your club.
Posted 05/03/2015 - 10:24
Link
fatspider wrote:
I do take photos for my own pleasure, but it would be nice to know why your photo failed in a competition in case you are making an error you had not spotted.
Quote:
The very reason I stopped entering the Pentaxuser 3 monthly competition, you don't know why you have failed
Just because you don't win doesn't mean you have failed, it could simply be that others did better or the judge had preferences. Don't take pictures for others to criticise, take them for yourself.The very reason I stopped entering the Pentaxuser 3 monthly competition, you don't know why you have failed
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Posted 06/03/2015 - 11:00
Link
walkeja wrote:
I do take photos for my own pleasure, but it would be nice to know why your photo failed in a competition in case you are making an error you had not spotted.
I fully agree - whether it's a competition or any other reason for posting a photo, I'd rather hear "that's a bit blurred" or "you could improve that by doing xxx" than total silence. I haven't entered any competitions, but I guess the more the entries, the more time it would take to give feedback on all of them and so much is just down to a matter of opinion - one person's "quirky" is another person's "badly framed".I do take photos for my own pleasure, but it would be nice to know why your photo failed in a competition in case you are making an error you had not spotted.
I was talking to a chap that's part of a local camera club and did think about joining, for me the main issue is that their meeting is on an evening when I'm already doing something else. Another local one used to hold regular exhibitions in the library but don't seem to do that now, perhaps because the library closes at 1pm on Saturdays, their last one was somewhere else in town but not advertised anywhere other than on the door to the (slightly out of the way) venue.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net
Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror
Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
I know that sometimes camera clubs in general get a bad press, as do judges for that matter, but it's worth trying out more than one until you find the one that gels for you.