Camera bag that does not look like a camera bag?

Gwyn
Posted 16/03/2011 - 15:44 Link
Both Domke and Tenba do inserts which you can use in any messenger style bag (or coolbag/nappy bag/handbag). Not quite as classy a solution as the Photojojo option, but possibly more flexible.

There are even instructions on the web for making them yourself, so you could have them tailored to your needs.

An expensive option but one which swallows a lot of stuff in the ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60. The Lowepro Classified series is similar. I'm tempted by the Classified 250, since it will also carry the netbook, but may yet make my own solution if I get enthusiastic enough.
johnriley
Posted 16/03/2011 - 16:15 Link
Billingham bags are superb, but expensive. They protect equipment with superb padding and are quickly accessed. Waterproofing is also of a very high standard.
Best regards, John
simonkit
Posted 16/03/2011 - 17:01 Link
Just giving the whole "discreet bag" thing some thought but doesn't it seem more likely that you'll stand out from the crowd with a messenger bag rather than backpack? It's commonplace to see people on holiday with backpacks so are you actually likely to attract more attention with a more "unusual" bag??
Tyr
Posted 16/03/2011 - 17:18 Link
I think some of the Tamrac messenger bags are quite discrete. I am thinking of getting one myself as it will hold everything I need for a shoot minus light stands, modifiers and backdrops.

The Rally 7 can fit rather a lot in it

2x K10D Bodies
DA*16-50
DA*50-135
DA 18-55 (backup)
90mm Macro (macro & backup)
2x Metz 58 AF-1
4x Cactus V5
14" Notebook PC
Spare Cards, Batteries, Gels, Gobo and a few other bits.

Falls within the carry on luggage requirements, which will be handy for the wedding I'm shooting in Germany later in the year. Having said that my completely waterproof sealable Lowepro backpack is also carry on size, it just looks and feels huge and has less space than the Tamrac.
simonkit
Posted 16/03/2011 - 17:57 Link
Tyr wrote:
I think some of the Tamrac messenger bags are quite discrete. I am thinking of getting one myself as it will hold everything I need for a shoot minus light stands, modifiers and backdrops.

I've not seen those, certainly more discrete than the Lowepro bags - the Rally 4 looks like a good fit for my K20D with DA12-24 + Tamron 18-250 too

Simon
Anvh
Posted 16/03/2011 - 18:01 Link
simonkit wrote:
Just giving the whole "discreet bag" thing some thought but doesn't it seem more likely that you'll stand out from the crowd with a messenger bag rather than backpack? It's commonplace to see people on holiday with backpacks so are you actually likely to attract more attention with a more "unusual" bag??
I'm a student so i don't stand out much with a bag.
I do see in Rotterdam that many walk with a crumpler bag, and i mean not the photo types as far as i can see.

A bag like Lowe, Kata and Tamrac might not stand out but if you see such a bag you just know there is a camera inside.
Billingham is also such a bag so it depends on what you want preciesly.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
johnriley
Posted 16/03/2011 - 18:05 Link
Looking at this another way, people will know it's a camera bag as soon as you start shooting pictures. You could then be followed until your guard drops enough for the bag to be snatched, so nothing is foolproof.

I just use a well used Billingham Hadley Pro that won't fool anyone who knows, but being black is relatively unobtrusive. It also is fairly flat to the body, so looks less photographic than some other designs.
Best regards, John
Gwyn
Posted 16/03/2011 - 18:06 Link
I looked at the Rally 7 too. I really like the look of it, but it doesn't seem to have a luggage sleeve so you can slip it over the handle of a suitcase, like the ThinkTank and Lowepro versions do.
I'd mainly want it for when I'm flying as it would be a better shape than the Expedition backpack I now use. The luggage sleeve would just make it that bit more convenient.
Algernon
Posted 16/03/2011 - 18:25 Link
TK Max have all kinds of bags (cheap) that can be adapted as
camera bags.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Tyr
Posted 16/03/2011 - 18:45 Link
Gwyn wrote:
I looked at the Rally 7 too. I really like the look of it, but it doesn't seem to have a luggage sleeve so you can slip it over the handle of a suitcase, like the ThinkTank and Lowepro versions do.
I'd mainly want it for when I'm flying as it would be a better shape than the Expedition backpack I now use. The luggage sleeve would just make it that bit more convenient.
Sew one?

It is a regular shape, if you really want to place it in something sew up a case...
Anvh
Posted 16/03/2011 - 20:26 Link
johnriley wrote:
Looking at this another way, people will know it's a camera bag as soon as you start shooting pictures. You could then be followed until your guard drops enough for the bag to be snatched, so nothing is foolproof.
You've a point there but i mostly use the bag to carry my gear from one location to another so it doesn't really apply then...
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Oggy
Posted 16/03/2011 - 21:49 Link
From our favourite supplier - link
Anvh
Posted 17/03/2011 - 14:03 Link
Oggy wrote:
From our favourite supplier - link
Good for the girls, not sure for the men ^^;
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Aero
Posted 17/03/2011 - 14:51 Link
They've got some interesting bags here link. I use one of the smaller side packs when I take my netbook out and about. Not sure if they make you look like a tramp or a terrorist, though.

Al
Gwyn
Posted 17/03/2011 - 15:05 Link
Tyr wrote:


Sew one?

It is a regular shape, if you really want to place it in something sew up a case...
I mean the extra flap on the back that the ThinkTank and Lowepro bags have, just as many laptop bags have, so you can slip the bag over the trolley handle of a suitcase. Can't sew one of those on. It's a pity Tamrac didn't though.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo